Seasonal driver!

Seasonaldriver69

Got hired as a seasonal driver. I got "the best driving test score they have seen in years" which I got 20 points. I guess that's "great".

I been here since Nov.
I've been doing the plane run every morning at 5am recently for about 3 weeks plus my normal run and then picking ups and overloads so about 12 hour days. I had a 26 year old supervisor on my truck for a week helping because I had well over 600 packages. he told me they NEVER give PT people that run unless they trust them? just trying to give my wife a break with these questions.. she's full of them.

my supervisor talked to the warehouse supervisor and then advised me to keep running strong because I was the only seasonal hire they were looking to bring back "next year" as in January hire. there's 3 drivers retiring this January from my hub. but I have a few questions.

#1 I was hired in at $18.75 hr, not sure if I get hired FT what the pay will be? so that's my first question. rumor has it it's $22.

#2 if I'm a driver now and they "hire me FT" do I stay a driver? I'm not intrested in any other job at all. prolly would decline if it wasn't a driver position. and if so, do I just stay on or is there a break between seasonal and getting hired in "ft".

Any advice & input appreciated. I'm in Michigan.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Got hired as a seasonal driver. I got "the best driving test score they have seen in years" which I got 20 points. I guess that's "great".

I been here since Nov.
I've been doing the plane run every morning at 5am recently for about 3 weeks plus my normal run and then picking ups and overloads so about 12 hour days. I had a 26 year old supervisor on my truck for a week helping because I had well over 600 packages. he told me they NEVER give PT people that run unless they trust them? just trying to give my wife a break with these questions.. she's full of them.

my supervisor talked to the warehouse supervisor and then advised me to keep running strong because I was the only seasonal hire they were looking to bring back "next year" as in January hire. there's 3 drivers retiring this January from my hub. but I have a few questions.

#1 I was hired in at $18.75 hr, not sure if I get hired FT what the pay will be? so that's my first question. rumor has it it's $22.

#2 if I'm a driver now and they "hire me FT" do I stay a driver? I'm not intrested in any other job at all. prolly would decline if it wasn't a driver position. and if so, do I just stay on or is there a break between seasonal and getting hired in "ft".

Exclamation point YES!!!!

Seasonaldriver69

That's why I'm asking. I'm going by what I'm told from my supervisior bUT I'm not trying to ask a bunch of questions all the time.

I read on here it's unlikely to get hired as a driver even though I drove for the season. but according to them they just say "your likly to get hired" but ok as what position lol

AND 18.75, you think it stays the same?? that's what I make now as just a seasonal. I helped for a day. the girl I helped said 5 years ago when she got hired ft she got a raise and started at 22 instead of 18.75.

Faceplanted

They are making you feel good about your self so you keep running like a chicken with no head, keep doing them favors, and probably not taking your whole lunch to keep "looking good"

99% you don't get hired as a full time driver. Just being honest. If your lucky you can load package cars for minimum wage for 4 hours a day.

Nike

First of all ignore most of the posts on here, most of these people know little about the business and really every hub is run completely different.

You may very well be hired, however it's unlikely at fulltime driver status. And if you are unwilling to do any other job you could very well struggle to get hours in the coming months.

Your best bet is to take whatever job given to you and work your way up. If you're already driving and have received the training it won't be long before you're driving regularly. It's all the state of mind you have. If you show a willingness to work you will go far...

Faceplanted

First of all ignore most of the posts on here, most of these people know little about the business and really every hub is run completely different.

You may very well be hired, however it's unlikely at fulltime driver status. And if you are unwilling to do any other job you could very well struggle to get hours in the coming months.

Your best bet is to take whatever job given to you and work your way up. If you're already driving and have received the training it won't be long before you're driving regularly. It's all the state of mind you have. If you show a willingness to work you will go far...
Willingness to work has nothing to do with ups. It's all seniority based. Only thing that gets you is more work and walked on by managment more and more

I feel bad for those the op, he seems like a good guy and I can tell his supervisors are using his hope and dreams of become a full time driver to abuse him. I see this all too often

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's why I'm asking. I'm going by what I'm told from my supervisior bUT I'm not trying to ask a bunch of questions all the time.

I read on here it's unlikely to get hired as a driver even though I drove for the season. but according to them they just say "your likly to get hired" but ok as what position lol

AND 18.75, you think it stays the same?? that's what I make now as just a seasonal. I helped for a day. the girl I helped said 5 years ago when she got hired ft she got a raise and started at 22 instead of 18.75.
How old are you?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Willingness to work has nothing to do with ups. It's all seniority based. Only thing that gets you is more work and walked on by managment more and more

I feel bad for those the op, he seems like a good guy and I can tell his supervisors are using his hope and dreams of become a full time driver to abuse him. I see this all too often
Yep.
They won't be hiring any drivers in January, anywhere, regardless of retirements. (unless it's a ten car extended Center?)

Best case scenario, sometime near Easter, provided the Company is compliant to the 6-1 provision, or the Local doesn't care to monitor it like in my Local.

Faceplanted

Yep.
They won't be hiring any drivers in January, anywhere, regardless of retirements. (unless it's a ten car extended Center?)

Best case scenario, sometime near Easter, provided the Company is compliant to the 6-1 provision, or the Local doesn't care to monitor it like in my Local.
Funny, quite a few of our 6-1 happen to family members of middle/upper managment.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Funny, quite a few of our 6-1 happen to family members of middle/upper managment.
In late 2014, 35+ feeder drivers where hired off the street due to lack of interest in packages in my Local.
Since then, there have been numerous off street hires in packages.
It's my contention that the Company would need to hire the next 200 package car drivers from the inside part time ranks, but my grievance on the subject has not been heard?
SMH

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

I been here since Nov.

They feed the same lines to everyone. Bunch of bs...

Seasonaldriver69

I'm 36 with with 4 kids. although good seasonal work I wouldn't take the job unless it's at least 40 hours and a driver. I don't have time to "wait around" & hope for a call for Pt hours. hopefully I'll get lucky but, if not on to the next thing.. My branch only hired 6 drivers for seasonal. 3 quit already. they are telling everyone that they "hire 36% of all seasonal workers through out all of ups". I figured it was just for hope so people didn't quit. I was told it is because of the retire rate this year. but honestly I don't ask a bunch of questions to them. they tell me what to do and I do it until my season is over and I guess we will see from there. what states are you all from?
Before this I was a mechanic, so I'd just got back to that till next season. but :censored2:, after taxes and my child support 60 hours is only bringing me home 940 a week. so I'm assuming if I don't get hired mechanics is definitly the way to go!

ManInBrown

Never ever believe one word of what they say with regards to hiring you permanently. They are full of :censored3:

You're a body. Nothing more, nothing less. This company would be in deep doo doo without the seasonal drivers they are allowed to bring on every year. Anything they tell you, is strictly to keep you motivated.

When and if you get the phone call in Jan or Feb to come back, then you're in. Until then, don't believe a word they tell you.