Seasonal PVD Pay Question

Back From Break
But as always the company does what it wants and refuses to negotiate any new changes with the union.
No it's going to take a year or two or three for it to get sorted out They will just do as they please.
That is what is wrong with our current leadership.

It's been like this for a long time. The Union knows that UPS is their bread and butter. While it does not mean they should completely roll over, they know what the result could be if they pushed too hard.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My position has always been that any extra work or OT is offered to any RPCD that wants it before it goes to any PVD.

We had a guy that liked to file on issues like this and collect free money when they didn't offer the work to him first. The funny thing is that every time they offered it to him first, he turned it down. He never did it once. But every time they didn't offer it to him, he filed for the time. Sorry, but I have an issue with this, although it is what it is.
Both sides signed the same contract why
shouldn’t both sides follow it

Back From Break
Both sides signed the same contract why
shouldn’t both sides follow it

Because when I'm in a discharge hearing with an employee who screwed up asking UPS to reduce it to a warning letter, I get the same response you gave me. UPS says that they were forced to follow the contract and pay Joe Blow for work he didn't do, so they are following the contract and discharging Jane Doe.

Was it Joe Blow's fault that Jane Doe screwed Up? No. But people like Joe Blow turn management against all employees and ruin it for anyone who may make a mistake.

It would be different if Joe Blow actually wanted to do the work. He just wanted free money because UPS screwed up and it ends up costing other employees.

Commercial Inside Release

Damn! For the last two years, I've tried multiple approaches at putting a stop to the central paying PVDs more money and giving them all my hours... Got no where.

Now, I'm crying and begging on here while they rob me for the third year in a row.

35years

Gravy route
Won grievances on PVDs getting extra work Mon-Fri and won grievances on PVDs working Saturdays over RPCDs. Many members made money off of it.
So what is your thoughts about filling on the following situation...

Drivers are on the 70 hour rule.
Friday comes around and a driver will have 62+ hours if he finishes his stops. So, to get around the language that you need 8 hours available to force a 6th Saturday punch, UPS either forces the driver bring stops back as missed, or forces him to give away the stops to another driver or PVD to keep his hours under 62 on Friday.

Seems to me forcing a driver to give up his Friday overtime to either a PVD, less senior driver, or forcing him to miss stops to get him off the clock while less senior drivers are not called back would be a contract violation.

My B.A. does not agree. He thinks UPS can call us off if they want in order to preserve hours for a forced 6th Saturday punch, as long as we work at least 8 on Friday.

Any thoughts?

542thruNthru

So what is your thoughts about filling on the following situation...

Drivers are on the 70 hour rule.
Friday comes around and a driver will have 62+ hours if he finishes his stops. So, to get around the language that you need 8 hours available to force a 6th Saturday punch, UPS either forces the driver bring stops back as missed, or forces him to give away the stops to another driver or PVD to keep his hours under 62 on Friday.

Seems to me forcing a driver to give up his Friday overtime to either a PVD, less senior driver, or forcing him to miss stops to get him off the clock while less senior drivers are not called back would be a contract violation.

My B.A. does not agree. He thinks UPS can call us off if they want in order to preserve hours for a forced 6th Saturday punch, as long as we work at least 8 on Friday.

Any thoughts?
I think it's a legitimate grievance and actually one we have won here. The company will still do it to save hours but they will pay twice in the end.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Because when I'm in a discharge hearing with an employee who screwed up asking UPS to reduce it to a warning letter, I get the same response you gave me. UPS says that they were forced to follow the contract and pay Joe Blow for work he didn't do, so they are following the contract and discharging Jane Doe.

Was it Joe Blow's fault that Jane Doe screwed Up? No. But people like Joe Blow turn management against all employees and ruin it for anyone who may make a mistake.

It would be different if Joe Blow actually wanted to do the work. He just wanted free money because UPS screwed up and it ends up costing other employees.
What did Jane do wrong?

Hey everyone!

Just a quick question about being a PVD for those who may have some experience. Last year I applied towards the end of November and worked as a PVD for about a month and a half making $30/hr. This year I applied much earlier (early October) and upon being hired was told that the pay is $21/hr. I will be working at the same location as I worked last year (rural Colorado).

I know that every location is different, but I’m just curious to know if the initial pay normally starts out a bit lower and is increased as we work our way through peak season, or if $21/hr is more than likely what I’ll be making the entire holiday season? Is it only increased later on if they need to incentivize new workers?

Thank you so much!
I've worked as a PVD for the last 2 years in Wyoming. Started out @ $21/hr and was paid $30/hr last year!!
This year they advised us after starting that we're back at $21/hr!!
I spoke to HR and they state that the bean counters higher up decide the payrate annually!!!

I'm retired and don't need the job but stated 2 years ago to help out a friend that's a UPS supervisor.
I like the job which is for the Christmas rush but dropping the hourly rate $9 SUCKS!!!!
I'm driving my own 3/4 ton 4x4 Diesel truck with a cap on it.
Why should I tear up my vehicle and be treated like this?
The roads are all gravel and some of the worst torn up roads imaginable!!
I believe my UPS days are going to be history as a result of their poor decision!! This year of all years!!! I'm paying over $5/gal
Time for another part time job!!!

HyperBrn

I've worked as a PVD for the last 2 years in Wyoming. Started out @ $21/hr and was paid $30/hr last year!!
I spoke to HR and they state that the bean counters higher up decide the payrate annually!!!

I'm retired and don't need the job but stated 2 years ago to help out a friend that's a UPS supervisor.
I like the job which is for the Christmas rush but dropping the hourly rate $9 SUCKS!!!!
I believe my UPS days are going to be history as a result of their poor decision!! This year of all years!!! I'm paying over $5/gal

Supply and demand man! Sorry that it's happened that way. Meanwhile I've been with the company as an RPCD for a little under a year (a little over a year if you count my seasonal PCD time), and I make LESS than you made as a PVD last year.

In the end, it's your choice whether you accept the $21/hr (plus mileage) pay. $0.625 a mile at 40ish miles per shift (which is around the mileage I see avg on PVD routes at my center) equates to $25. At 10mpg (which I imagine is a conservative estimate for 3/4 tone diesel), you're about breaking even.

In any case, thank you for helping out last year. Hope you find something fulfilling to do with your time should you stay out of the "game" this time around.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

Foad

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Glad you came to your senses

AMC79

Supply and demand man! Sorry that it's happened that way. Meanwhile I've been with the company as an RPCD for a little under a year (a little over a year if you count my seasonal PCD time), and I make LESS than you made as a PVD last year.

In the end, it's your choice whether you accept the $21/hr (plus mileage) pay. $0.625 a mile at 40ish miles per shift (which is around the mileage I see avg on PVD routes at my center) equates to $25. At 10mpg (which I imagine is a conservative estimate for 3/4 tone diesel), you're about breaking even.

In any case, thank you for helping out last year. Hope you find something fulfilling to do with your time should you stay out of the "game" this time around.
I just applied to be a PVD driver. I have heard that you have to go back to get more packages at least once or twice depending on size of your vehicle. Are you paid mileage for all miles driven for the day or only while on the actual route. My route may be 20+ miles from the warehouse that I will have to drive back to a couple times every day.

AMC79

You’re a PVD …the enemy!
✊🧔‍♂️
I don't understand that thought process. PVDs are only used during peak when regular full time drivers can't keep up even with 12 hours shifts. It should be a positive that they get to go home after 40-50 hours instead of working 60 hard hours every week during peak. Some people say they should just hire more full time drivers but if there are enough full time drivers for peak then there are too many the rest of the year. What do those drivers do the other 9-10 months of the year? PVDs make sense if they are used right. No PVD should be causing a regular to go under 8 hours. That is bad management. But if they are used to get the regulars down to 8-10 instead of 12 hours then that is a very good thing all around.