Seat Belt Pledge

pretzel_man

This is the first I heard about this at UPS, but I did look it up.

Firefighters are doing the same thing. They started it after one of them died after not wearing a seat belt.

They don't seem to think its an insult or a waste of time. Why are UPS drivers above it all?

Personally, I think its silly but what does it hurt? Do a search and see what firefighters have to say. I was surprised how much info there is on it.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
This is the first I heard about this at UPS, but I did look it up.

Firefighters are doing the same thing. They started it after one of them died after not wearing a seat belt.

They don't seem to think its an insult or a waste of time. Why are UPS drivers above it all?

Personally, I think its silly but what does it hurt? Do a search and see what firefighters have to say. I was surprised how much info there is on it.
problem is , as drivers, the only thing we get from the omnipotent corporate gods are reminders of how stupid we are, i dont know if your buzzword firefighter analogy is correct, I am not a firefighter, I do know as a long time UPS driver i am insulted constantly by the "new" ups telling me how to do my job correctly

pretzel_man

problem is , as drivers, the only thing we get from the omnipotent corporate gods are reminders of how stupid we are, i dont know if your buzzword firefighter analogy is correct, I am not a firefighter, I do know as a long time UPS driver i am insulted constantly by the "new" ups telling me how to do my job correctly

Go look up the Firefighter seat belt pledge.

They were not insulted.

I think they are also professionals.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Go look up the Firefighter seat belt pledge.

They were not insulted.

I think they are also professionals.

Every PCM, everyday something new to sign, memorize, recite or regurgitate. Constant safety messages coming thru the DIAD when I'm trying to make a delivery. It's like when you harp on your kid for the same things over and over. They eventually stop listening. We had 12 accidents in 2009. Company went crazy with the safety bombardment. Followed up with 16 in 2010. Stops per car went way up too but we all know workload has nothing to do with safety.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I pledge to wear my seat belt at work as part of the job requirement. Liberty Mutual is not my personal insurance carrier nor will they ever be.

I pledge to wear my seat belt at work as part of the job requirement. Liberty Mutual is not my personal insurance carrier nor will they ever be.

I pledge to drink lots of beer this Sunday when I watch the AfC and NFC championship games and the only driving I'll be doing is Mrs. 407 up a wall.

Re-Raise

That's a pledge I would sign. Go Pack!

I placed two bets in Vegas at the RIO during the WSOP for the superbowl. I put $200 each on the NFC north at 6 for 1 and the AFC east at 7 for 1.

I am rooting for any of the four except the Steelers.

As far as the seat belt pledge goes , I would fumble for my pen and start walking toward my package car leaving the paper behind.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I believe these pledges would be tossed around centers that don't have Telematics. Lord knows if you are in a center that does, you will hear about it if you don't have it on once. Plus, Liberty Mutual can be shown the statistics from the Telematic centers and pat UPS on the back.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think the problem most people have with the seat belt pledge is that it comes off as infantile. Seat belt use is mandatory already, both by law and UPS rules. We're all adults and we all understand the consequences without having to sign some kindergarten pledge. As far as the firefighters go, who cares what they do? That's their business.

johnoutdoors

it takes a special kind of person to not pledge to wear your seatbelt. redundant or not, was it really that inconvienient to have to sign a piece a paper? way to take on "the man"

It's not a question of convenience. If it were, I would ask if its convenient to type it up, print it out, photocopy it X times, hand it out, tell us what it is and why we should sign it, collect it, check our names off on some compliance list, and then file it in some back room fire trap with the other 364 pieces of paper I'm asked to sign annually. If UPS is doing it, its not for convenience, its for a purpose. What is that purpose?

bumped

I'll admit it. There are times when I'm just driving a few blocks away in my personal car that I don't wear my seatbelt. I will not sign that "pledge". What would happen to get a ticket in my personal car reguarding the moving violations paperwork that we have to fill out every January. Its a road I don't want to go down. Like everything else at UPS, I spend most of my time at work. There is no need for UPS to know what I do in my personal time. That is the reason I will not tell them how much I volunteer in my personal time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do you wear your seatbelt when backing?

My wife laughs at me when I put my seat belt on to back the car out of the garage to wash it in the driveway.
I don't even realize it ... as far as habits go, it's not a bad one. I've got so many bad ones, I need a good one here and there.

SWORDFISH

I think if UPS got a discount on insurance for signing this they would tell us. UPS has created this interesting environment where people do or dont want to sign a piece of paper.
I like your post UPstate, I wouldnt sign it either.

DS

Fenderbender
I also am as diligent with my seat belt both at work and beyond,but sales guy,you have to realize that center manager's come and go faster than Charlie Sheen.Some like to get you to sign things so if you make a mistake in the future,and they have decided they are going to find some way to terminate you,they will use these unnecessary obtained documents to incriminate you.I'm with upstate , swordfish and Jones .
Firefighters are cool,but they don't do over 100 stops every day.