Seat Belt Pledge

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The company I work for made a calculated business decision that my life was not worth the extra $40 it would have cost to equip its pre-1995 package cars with a 3-point seat belt.

So in addition to being meaningless and redundant, I find the idea of expecting me to sign a "seat belt pledge" to be downright insulting.

It is also sad and pathetic to think that, as a company, we are actually paying a salary to the idiot who came up with the bright idea of printing this drivel out and wasting time and energy trying to get us to sign it. Apparently, last year's round of management downsizing failed to get rid of all of the dead weight.

rod

Retired 22 years
USA Today reported that 42% of police officers killed in vehical crashes were not wearing their seat belts. I wonder how many of them were killed while chasing someone to give them a ticket for not wearing their seat belts?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is also sad and pathetic to think that, as a company, we are actually paying a salary to the idiot who came up with the bright idea of printing this drivel out and wasting time and energy trying to get us to sign it. Apparently, last year's round of management downsizing failed to get rid of all of the dead weight.

At first, I assumed this was some of the normal hogwash until I saw who the OP was and then realized this was legit. Then my next thought was similar to what you stated sober. I assume there is some logic behind this that I don't understand.

At first, I assumed this was some of the normal hogwash until I saw who the OP was and then realized this was legit. Then my next thought was similar to what you stated sober. I assume there is some logic behind this that I don't understand.

I pledge that you hit the nail right on the head.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I like that. "Back room fire trap....LOL
It's not a question of convenience. If it were, I would ask if its convenient to type it up, print it out, photocopy it X times, hand it out, tell us what it is and why we should sign it, collect it, check our names off on some compliance list, and then file it in some back room fire trap with the other 364 pieces of paper I'm asked to sign annually. If UPS is doing it, its not for convenience, its for a purpose. What is that purpose?

menotyou

bella amicizia
The company I work for made a calculated business decision that my life was not worth the extra $40 it would have cost to equip its pre-1995 package cars with a 3-point seat belt.

So in addition to being meaningless and redundant, I find the idea of expecting me to sign a "seat belt pledge" to be downright insulting.

Well said.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Go look up the Firefighter seat belt pledge.

They were not insulted.

I think they are also professionals.

Do the fire fighters have a forum like this that I can reference, or am I to believe the various internet articles that you are referencing?
I'm sure a Google search would yield the same drivel from UPS drivers on a similar search.
The responses on this thread tell a different story and I don't believe UPS drivers and fire fighters are of vastly differing opinion.
This is just another meaningless initiative by some manager trying to justify their existence.

tarbar66

I pledge to drink lots of beer this Sunday when I watch the AfC and NFC championship games and the only driving I'll be doing is Mrs. 407 up a wall.

You made me laugh outloud with this post. Will you be drinking Straub Beer? How high is the wall Mrs. 407 is scaling?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is just another meaningless initiative by some manager trying to justify their existence.

Lets take a page from the UPS management handbook and invent a whole new acronym to describe all of the empty drivel that UPS wants us to sign and recite and memorize.

I know...we can call them JAMPOPs! Its short for Just Another Meaningless Piece Of Paper.

I like it. Its easy to pronounce and easy to memorize. Maybe I too can get a promotion if I print out enough JAMPOPs and get enough people to sign them!

over9five

Staff member
+1 next thing they will ask you to pledge to eat from the four food groups. When is enough enough??
+1

How about a pledge to pay every employee correctly, and on time?
They don't have to pledge.

these things are a insult to anyone with a brain,, a waste of time and a insult
+1

Go look up the Firefighter seat belt pledge.

They were not insulted.

I think they are also professionals.
I'm sure just as many firefighters also wouldn't pledge because it's stupid.

Every PCM, everyday something new to sign, memorize, recite or regurgitate. Constant safety messages coming thru the DIAD when I'm trying to make a delivery. It's like when you harp on your kid for the same things over and over. They eventually stop listening. We had 12 accidents in 2009. Company went crazy with the safety bombardment. Followed up with 16 in 2010. Stops per car went way up too but we all know workload has nothing to do with safety.
How about a pledge to give us a reasonable amount of work? How about a pledge to reduce excessive overtime?

I think the problem most people have with the seat belt pledge is that it comes off as infantile. Seat belt use is mandatory already, both by law and UPS rules. We're all adults and we all understand the consequences without having to sign some kindergarten pledge. As far as the firefighters go, who cares what they do? That's their business.
+1

P

pickup

I BELIEVE in many jurisdictions, firefighters and police are exempt from seat belt laws. Yet many police and fire departments have seen first hand that their members are not immune to the laws of physics when involved with accidents. Hence, the reason for this pledge.

However, since other drivers are not exempt from such laws, i feel that this pledge is somewhat redundant and a signed pledge can only be used as ammunition against any driver that breaks or seemingly breaks this rule for a second.

Bristol Brown

USA Today reported that 42% of police officers killed in vehical crashes were not wearing their seat belts. I wonder how many of them were killed while chasing someone to give them a ticket for not wearing their seat belts?

I bet none of them were backing their vehicle 30 ft or so which makes the UPS zero tolerance policy on seatbelts a complete nonsense.

You should not have to wear a seatbelt when backing a small distance because it does nothing but restrict your movement which is infact dangerous.

i will drink rubbing alcohol if that's all that's around so dont get me wrong,, but whats straub ??

Its is a beer from the great state of Pennsylvania. As far as I'm concerned this should be the official state of beer in the US. There are tons of brewery's and tons of great local beers.

rod

Retired 22 years
Its is a beer from the great state of Pennsylvania. As far as I'm concerned this should be the official state of beer in the US. There are tons of brewery's and tons of great local beers.

I thought Iron City was to official beer of Pennsylvania