Seat Belt Pledge

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Our Center manager was standing outside this morning in his fancy orange vest watching drivers arrive. He asked one driver if he was wearing his seat belt in his personal vehicle. None of your damn business. We rewarded him with yet another accident tonight. I swear the more this company pounds safety the more accidents we are going to have. Everyone is on pins and needles all day.
That's just weird.

Bristol Brown

Might prevent you from being thrown out of the vehicle, either by the initial impact or as a result of rolling or falling. It might prevent the inertia from giving you bodily injury - e.g. whiplash. It might prevent your head from hitting the steering wheel or other hard surface, thus rending you unconscious.

Would you not agree?

You are obviously misunderstanding me!!!!!! I am not talking about backing onto a freeway where cars are travelling at high speed. I am talking about backing onto a loading bay about 15ft away.

The law in the UK says that you can back without a seatbelt because common sense says that it is impossible for you to be in a position for your seatbelt to save you from injury.Of course if you want to leave your doors open stick your head out the the side of the vehicle while backing onto a freeway into on rushing high speed vehicles thats different.

The zero tolerance on seatbelts by UPS that isn`t law is just plain bloody ridiculous.In the UK couriers will never get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt as in town centres they never reach speeds of more than 20mph.

A lot of the UPS driving rules are plain nonsense, on every s & v ride I refuse to honk the horn when I reverse nor do I put the four way flashers on.I get marked down for it and explain why I dont employ these ridiculous actions.

If UPS want a horn honked when reversing then they should install a horn that operates when the vehicle is in reverse.

FracusBrown,

This is actually not true. In many states, Worker's Compensation Laws prevent an employer from being sued for negligence by their employees.

Sincerely,
I

IF one is decided to receive workers compensation for an injury. One can choose not to and seek consul to take litigious action.
We have an ongoing problem with one of the exit gates and the yield sign at it which is constantly being disregarded. It`s been pointed out repeatedly at pcms and safety meetings by drivers that something needs to be done. The company is non receptive and we`ve pointed out it just a matter of time that luck will run out and you can bet your paycheck there will be a lawsuit over it.

Nimnim

The Nim
Was it really orange? We had to trash all our orange ones here. They have to be yellow now....

He should not be out in the yard in an orange vest!

We were told the orange ones some people had weren't "break away" enough since the sides weren't held together with velcro and could cause people to get caught in machinery and stuff.

over9five

Staff member
Not saying it's true, but I heard they got rid of the orange ones because someone could confuse you with one of the orange cones....

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
FracusBrown,

This is actually not true. In many states, Worker's Compensation Laws prevent an employer from being sued for negligence by their employees.

Sincerely,
I

I didn't realize you were a lawyer. Do dead people get workers comp?

If Ford had only known what you know, they wouldn't have paid out 1.1 billion to all the people those pesky people in Explorers with Firestone tires that blew out. I'm sure someone thought there was no liability since it seemed like a good idea and wasn't even a tire made by Ford. Just a silly part their engineers decided to install. What the heck...tires have been around since before the model T.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I didn't realize you were a lawyer. Do dead people get workers comp?

If Ford had only known what you know, they wouldn't have paid out 1.1 billion to all the people those pesky people in Explorers with Firestone tires that blew out. I'm sure someone thought there was no liability since it seemed like a good idea and wasn't even a tire made by Ford. Just a silly part their engineers decided to install. What the heck...tires have been around since before the model T.

FracusBrown,

I am not sure I understand your point.

Worker's Compensation Laws only cover injuries or deaths that happen on the job.

State statute determines these laws, and how they are administered when someone is injured or dies on the job.

You appear to have referenced an automobile product liabilty example.

Please forgive me if I have misunderstood you.

Sincerely,
I

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
FracusBrown,

I am not sure I understand your point.

Worker's Compensation Laws only cover injuries or deaths that happen on the job.

State statute determines these laws, and how they are administered when someone is injured or dies on the job.

You appear to have referenced an automobile product liability example.

Please forgive me if I have misunderstood you.

Sincerely,
I

You said there is no liability and brought workers comp into the topic for some unknown reason.

If you know of some magic that guarantees not being sued or gets one out of a law suit without settling or without winning a legal battle, please share it with us.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I agree that the only way to ensure 100% compliance with any process or program is to make it fool-proof, meaning it won't work if its not done the way intended.

My point is that the company has very little exposure now for seat belt mis-use, so there is little financial reason to spend a lot of money to make it fool-proof. You'd have a hard time suing the company for negligence if you are the one that is negligent by not putting on your own seat belt, especially when they can clearly demonstrate that they go well above the norm to enforce wearing it.

Who would be named in a lawsuit involving a death caused by the seat belt activated starter/ignition disable if the system was installed by the company without authorization from the vehicle manufacturer? Can you can say UPS definitely would not be sued? If not, there is potential liability.

There is no black and white when it comes to liability. Anyone can be sued for anything. All it takes is one jury to rule in favor of the claimant. There is no definite way to establish zero liability. The best that can be done is to avoid taking steps that may be considered negligent.

Unfortunately we live in a world where people sue for everything from spilling hot coffee in their lap to using an electric hair dryer in the bathtub...and win!

PS - no bloviating allowed on the far right.

You said there is no liability and brought workers comp into the topic for some unknown reason.

If you know of some magic that guarantees not being sued or gets one out of a law suit without settling or without winning a legal battle, please share it with us.
FracusBrown,

I have highlighted the portion of one of your posts that I originally commented on in red.

I did not say "there is no liability". If I am mistaken please let me know and do forgive me.

The purpose of my comment was to explain that Worker's Compensation Laws, for the most part, prevent employees from sueing their employers for negligence.

I have found that most individuals think they can sue their employers for negligence. This is just not true.

Sincerely,
I

CharleyHustle

UPS requires it in their vehicles.

Not disputing that, its just some have said that it is also a violation of state law which it may or may not be. So, maybe a pledge isn't a bad idea? Rightly or (IMO) wrongly some, and even state legislatures, insinuate that belt use is not, or should not be, manditory under all circumstances.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Then, make the pledge with yourself. Your contract does not require you to sign anything. There is a reason for that, no matter how well intentioned the attempt.

CharleyHustle

If it is offered, I'll sign. It's something I do anyways. In case you haven't noticed, safety isn't being ignored at other large and small corporations. Ever see the "Drive to Zero" decals on contractor or company vehichles? "Yard Control" isn't just a UPS thing. Just in the last couple weeks, twice I've seen FedEx drivers told to shut off their trucks and get it in low gear while delivering. Another company's driver was told not to use their cell phone while driving on this company's property. He actually was cought on a security camera. While price is stiil king, safety can sell. Sure a "pledge" is just symbolic, overall safety can win out in the long run.