Seat Belt Pledge

menotyou

bella amicizia
If it is offered, I'll sign. It's something I do anyways. In case you haven't noticed, safety isn't being ignored at other large and small corporations. Ever see the "Drive to Zero" decals on contractor or company vehichles? "Yard Control" isn't just a UPS thing. Just in the last couple weeks, twice I've seen FedEx drivers told to shut off their trucks and get it in low gear while delivering. Another company's driver was told not to use their cell phone while driving on this company's property. He actually was cought on a security camera. While price is stiil king, safety can sell. Sure a "pledge" is just symbolic, overall safety can win out in the long run.

I agree wholeheartedly that safety is number one. I,also, never once said you can't sign. You may do whatever you like. I will not sign it as I do not agree with, at a minimum, the waste of trees. It is, in my opinion, an attempt to circumvent certain protections outlaid in ourcontract.

As you said, overall safety will win. But, overall safety begins in each and every one of us. Paper doesn't change that.

It is about time corporations start being safer. Why does a piece of paper entice you? Why doesn't fewer stops being loaded onto our trucks? Why not mandatory nothing over 9.5? Why not mandatory no work during 'state of emergencies'? Why not making o.k. to bring back stops if you are tired? Why doesn't a beeper when we back up? Why not an ignition lock tied to the seat belt? Why not slowing down the belt so your preloaders can actually think about what they are doing? Why start at a "pledge" to a company that doesn't make the same "pledge" to you?

CharleyHustle

Because first, I don't own or run this company, I just work here, for, I might add at least in my job class, pretty darn good wages and benifits. Not arguing any of the merits of your list, I don't think any are precribed "rights" outlined in any CBA, or will they likely be any time soon. Not to disreguard your opinion, but I don't think a pledge circumvents any prescribed rights in the CBA or any where else. UPS isn't perfect. But, if a salesman can go to General Motors, who is strickly FedEx, and say we have a pledge from all our employees to be safe while on your properties and they throw some packages our way, gimmy the dang pledge.

johnoutdoors

I don't think a pledge circumvents any prescribed rights in the CBA or any where else.

From Dictionary.com:

pledge

   /plɛdʒ/ [plej] noun, verb, pledged, pledg·ing.
–noun 1. a solemn promise or agreement to do or refrain from doing something: a pledge of aid; a pledge not to wage war.

2. something delivered as security for the payment of a debt or fulfillment of a promise, and subject to forfeiture on failure to pay or fulfill the promise.

3. the state of being given or held as security: to put a thing in pledge.

4. Law . a. the act of delivering goods, property, etc., to another for security.

b. the resulting legal relationship.

5. something given or regarded as a security.

6. a person accepted for membership in a club, fraternity, or sorority, but not yet formally approved.

7. an assurance of support or goodwill conveyed by drinking a person's health; a toast.

8. Obsolete . a. a hostage.

b. a person who becomes bail or surety for another.

–verb (used with object) 9. to bind by or as if by a pledge: to pledge hearers to secrecy.

10. to promise solemnly: to pledge one's support.

11. to give or deposit as a pledge; pawn.

12. to stake, as one's honor.

See definitions 4b, 9, and 12. A pledge is possibly construed as a legally binding contract. That is prohibitted by our CBA as extra-contractual agreement.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Because first, I don't own or run this company, I just work here, for, I might add at least in my job class, pretty darn good wages and benifits. Not arguing any of the merits of your list, I don't think any are precribed "rights" outlined in any CBA, or will they likely be any time soon. Not to disreguard your opinion, but I don't think a pledge circumvents any prescribed rights in the CBA or any where else. UPS isn't perfect. But, if a salesperson can go to General Motors, who is strickly FedEx, and say we have a pledge from all our employees to be safe while on your properties and they throw some packages our way, gimmy the dang pledge.
Who used the words "rights"? Not me. I just hope a salesperson from UPS goes into GM and says, "We will deliver your packages without damage, on time and the driver will be smiling. I will give you a can of Pledge for free." I would bet GM would sign with THAT salesperson.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
FracusBrown,

I have highlighted the portion of one of your posts that I originally commented on in red.

I did not say "there is no liability". If I am mistaken please let me know and do forgive me.

The purpose of my comment was to explain that Worker's Compensation Laws, for the most part, prevent employees from sueing their employers for negligence.

I have found that most individuals think they can sue their employers for negligence. This is just not true.

Sincerely,
I

Lay off the bottle. You're talking in circles.

Lay off the bottle. You're talking in circles.

I think Fracus thinks your drunk posting.

I suspect lithium or some other combination of prescription medications.:crazy2:

They call them drug cocktails. They're becoming the vogue for mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia ...and seat belt dementia and pompous posting.

http://www.healthyplace.com/bipolar-disorder/treatment/drug-cocktails-for-mental-illness/menu-id-67/
I think it's time to stage an intervention with Integrity. Who's with me???

Integrity

Binge Poster
I think Fracus thinks your drunk posting.

I suspect lithium or some other combination of prescription medications.:crazy2:

There I fixed it for you.

They call them drug cocktails. They're becoming the vogue for mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia ...and seat belt dementia and pompous posting.

http://www.healthyplace.com/bipolar-disorder/treatment/drug-cocktails-for-mental-illness/menu-id-67/

I understand.

I know it is very common for a discussion thread to become a vehicle for some members to poke fun or insult one of the contributors to a discussion.

I don't support this, however I do recognize the need for some to do this.

In an effort to encourage spirited discussion and to respect the person who started the discussion thread, I encourage posters to stick to the discussion and try to keep personal references to the best minimum that you can attain.

Sincerely,
I

I understand.

I know it is very common for a discussion thread to become a vehicle for some members to poke fun or insult one of the contributors to a discussion.

In an effort to encourage spirited discussion and to respect the person who started the discussion thread, I encourage posters to stick to the discussion and try to keep personal references to the best minimum that you can attain.

Sincerely,
I
The first step admitting you have a problem and you need help.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I understand.

Sincerely,
I

I think thats as angry as I've ever seen him.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I understand.

Sincerely,
I

Certainly no offense intended, but I have to ask - were you drunk when you posted this?

I'm having difficulty understanding how sticking the original post and keeping personal references out encourages spirited discussion.

Did you mean to say you would like to keep the discussion on point or did you intend "spirited" to refer to alcohol induced gibberish disguised as a lame attemt at superiority?

Certainly no offense intended, but I have to ask - were you drunk when you posted this?

I'm having difficulty understanding how sticking the original post and keeping personal references out encourages spirited discussion.

Did you mean to say you would like to keep the discussion on point or did you intend "spirited" to refer to alcohol induced gibberish disguised as a lame attemt at superiority?
Intervention. Anyone in?