Seniority...... who's got what???

Seniority where I am is based on:

• Total voters
Hmm, tough one. Try driving a tractor trailer from alcove to alcove at the mall, especially this time of year.

Having done both jobs, and working toward 30 years of safe driving, I'd have to say Feeders is harder to stay safe in. You just have so much more equipment to be aware of. It's nothing to whip a small vehicle like a package car around corners, and through neighborhoods. You have so much more to think about with a tractor trailer.

But at the same time you have better reaction time in feeders... In feeders, you aren't jumping up and done and all around like it's a sprint... You have time to think.. In package you are moving and thinking at the same time... It raises the chances of getting into a accident .. Ups has statistically shown this...

I'm sorry guys.. Unless Ups wants feeder drivers to deliver all the packages by hand, you are not going to win this agreement.

Last edited:

Feederquacker

There is three districts with 14 bldgs...

1) Meadowlands Feeder district
Bldgs.
A) Meadowlands
B) gould ave

2) Parrsippiny Feeder district
Bldgs.
A) Parrsippiny
B) Saddle Brook
C) Mt. Olive
D) Spring. Valley
E) New Windsor
friend) Chester
G) Bound Brook

3) Edison Feeder district
Bldgs.
A) Edison
B) Staton Island
C) Tinton Falls
D) Lakewood
E) Trenton

When you transfer to one of these districts. You can bid every job in the district... You can't bid on a job if it's not in your district... So when the jobs bid February, or your bidding the spare list, the master list is in the main district bldg.. So yes, new openings are
offered through the district... As for part timers... The members that want the seniority change are trying to get part timers on broad and they don't care about this fight... The don't vote in our local... We have 8500 members... 3500Ish are fulltime... 1200 to 2000 members vote on average... Just don't think part timers is going to happen... I wish it was the case...
I had to re-read this..... this seems rediculous. What you're saying is that if you work in the Trenton building driving Feeder, you could, by bidding the whole district, get kicked out of Trenton and have to drive an hour to Edison to report to work? If that's the way it happened to fall. Next time you may end up in a different building again? What sense does that make? How could you decide where to live? Who thought that was a good idea?

Inthegame

The bottom line is you shouldn't have your seniority stripped when you transfer in the same local... It's just not right.
But yet it's OK to "strip" the seniority from the off the street guys that were hired under classification seniority.

BTW, you've used up your quota of periods per sentence for 2016.

Who thought that was a good idea?

The local officials that changed it to classification seniority.

But yet it's OK to "strip" the seniority from the off the street guys that were hired under classification seniority.

BTW, you've used up your quota of periods per sentence for 2016.

The feeder street guys should be lucky that a lot of local 177 members turn down feeders... That's why they got hired off the street... From what feederquacker is saying in his local they haven't hired feeder off the street in over 30 years... They should feel lucky!

Also, I just updated my phone plan and have unlimited data..................................... I'm good.

Last edited:

By The Book

The local isn't dismissing them... They are dismissing them selfs... By not putting in proposals when told to
Do you think just because you put in a proposal that the local will make it happen?
The local officials that changed it to classification seniority.
This confuses me, did the local change it from company seniority to classification seniority? This would be a proposal that the drivers would have made is it not?

Do you think just because you put in a proposal that the local will make it happen?
Do you think if tou put in a proposal it won't happen?
This confuses me, did the local change it from company seniority to classification seniority? This would be a proposal that the drivers would have made is it not?

Yes they did... In the Ibt bylaws, you only need 15 to 30 proposals to have your local look it over before they put it in... So if the elected officials want something put in.. They just have to find a small group to put the proposals in...

If they are against it then they will want you to show them a majority number...

Inthegame

In the Ibt bylaws, you only need 15 to 30 proposals to have your local look it over before they put it in... So if the elected officials want something put in.. They just have to find a small group to put the proposals in...
Please point out where in the IBT Constitution or in L177 bylaws is the rule requiring 15 to 30 proposals to have an issue brought up for contract negotiations.
Don't bother you won't find what isn't there.
Your Executive Board has the authority to submit or refuse any proposal, be it proposed by one member or any number of members.

Please point out where in the IBT Constitution or in L177 bylaws is the rule requiring 15 to 30 proposals to have an issue brought up for contract negotiations.
Don't bother you won't find what isn't there.
Your Executive Board has the authority to submit or refuse any proposal, be it proposed by one member or any number of members.

If you think it's not going to happen then why are you and everyone so worried?

Uh no where in that post did he say it isn't going to happen. He's just point out what you think are the rules are completely wrong.
Listen... We have been hearing it from all types about this issue... People just don't like change... We will just have to wait and see what happens...
I'll give you credit @East coast navy, you are persistent, that's a good thing. If you somehow increase your members voting and participation percentage you are doing the right thing.
Thanks... I think that's why classification seniority shouldn't be in ups... It just divides members... This change could fix all that.

Inthegame

Uh no where in that post did he say it isn't going to happen. He's just point out what you think are the rules are completely wrong.
Thanks, at least a few of us think clearly.
I have no dog in this fight but when a proponent on one side has such difficulty posting facts, it tends to indicate his motives aren't so noble and he's doing this for nothing more than personal gain at others expense. Hardly a union concept.
If it's spelled out differently in the by-laws.. Then please point it out for me.
No, that's not how it works. When you post BS, and then you're corrected, YOU are the one that needs to review your bylaws to prove your point, no one else.
I would love to know if I'm wrong.
You're wrong. Read your bylaws and you'll see you're wrong.
I love founding good info.
Your posts indicate otherwise but I guess your fourth grade spelling class must have also had classification seniority
(and we know where you were on that list)........

No, that's not how it works. When you post BS, and then you're corrected, YOU are the one that needs to review your bylaws to prove your point, no one else.
(
I told you it's not written... It's verbal language....

If I'm wrong, show me... I love it when someone says you are wrong but can't prove it....
Your posts indicate otherwise but I guess your fourth grade spelling class must have also had classification seniority
(and we know where you were on that list)........
I'm throwing you a bone by leaving bad spelling and grammar for you to correct me because you have nothing else to correct me with....

542thruNthru

If I'm wrong, show me... I love it when someone says you are wrong but can't prove it....

I'm throwing you a bone by leaving bad spelling and grammar for you to correct me because you have nothing else to correct me with....

So it's Verbal language and not written but you want him to show you where you are wrong?

Does verbal language mean you heard it from someone? Did he also sell you a bridge or beach front property in Arizona?

Inthegame

No you didn't. This is what you said.
Yes they did... In the Ibt bylaws, you only need 15 to 30 proposals to have your local look it over before they put it in...
So in your mind, are the words WRITTEN in the IBT bylaws (whatever that means) verbal language?
I really don't like this but you're wrong about many things you write. For instance, there are no IBT bylaws. There are Local Union Bylaws and there is an IBT Constitution, neither of which contains any written language you allege.
The spelling was a joke pal.
PS....Check Section 14 of L177's bylaws for the powers of your Executive Board. That's a freebie, no PayPal required.

dudebro

There's no such thing as a fender bender in feeders.

Sure there is. There are drivers who scrub their trailers up against the side of things (or the roof up against the bottom of things) all the time.

But Over9Five has a point - you DO have a lot more equipment, hoses, articulation, air brakes, physics, etc, to deal with.

No you didn't. This is what you said.
Sorry, I thought I posted that... My bad..
PS....Check Section 14 of L177's bylaws for the powers of your Executive Board. That's a freebie, no PayPal required.
Listen, the guy that is on the front line of this told me he was told by someone that deals IBT constitution that it is verbal language... If it's written in a different way or there is no verbal language in the IBT constitution then it will come out on this site anyway by a reliable source... So you don't have to worry...

As for Section 14... I checked and nothing says anything on procedures change contract language... Maybe you can point it out for me

Also, the local union has said if we bring a majority of proposals they can't ignore it anymore.... If we are not the majority, then there is no reason it shouldn't happen...

Last edited:

Inthegame

Listen, the guy that is on the front line of this told me he was told by someone that deals IBT constitution that it is verbal language... If it's written in a different way or there is no verbal language in the IBT constitution then it will come out on this site anyway by a reliable source... So you don't have to worry...
If you or the guy on the front line of this doesn't understand the difference between verbal language and written language, there is little point in continuing any discussion.
I'm not worried about anything you write, and I am confident I already know a reliable source on the IBT Constitution.
As for Section 14... I checked and nothing says anything on procedures change contract language... Maybe you can point it out for me
Here are a few pertinent areas...
Section 14
POWER AND DUTIES OF LOCAL UNION EXECUTIVE
BOARD

A. Except as may be otherwise provided in these By-Laws, the Local Union Executive Board is authorized and empowered to conduct and manage the affairs of this organization...
The Local Union Executive Board, in addition to such other general powers conferred by these By-Laws is hereby empowered to:
(1). Make and change rules and regulation not inconsistent with these By-Laws or the International Constitution for the management and conduct of the affairs of this Local Union;
(16). Do all acts not expressly authorized herein which are necessary or proper in implementation of the above duties for the protection of the property of the Local and for the benefit of the organization and members.

And finally,
Section 27

NEGOTIATIONS, RATIFICATION OF AGREEMENTS,
STRIKES AND LOCKOUTS

A. Whenever a collective bargaining agreement is about to be negotiated, modified or extended at the request of this Local Union, the principal officer shall determine and authorize the bargaining demands to be made.

These bylaws give the your E-Board and PO broad powers to conduct contract negotiations pretty much as they see fit. He/they are under no obligation to further any proposal if they feel it doesn't benefit the members. The only recourse the dissatified members then have is to vote the officers out. Since your current board was unchallenged in the most recent election, they most likely aren't too worried.
Also, the local union has said if we bring a majority of proposals they can't ignore it anymore....
They may or may not entertain any proposal. What they can't ignore is the L177 Bylaws or the IBT Constitution, the written versions of each.
If we are not the majority, then there is no reason it shouldn't happen...
Are you related to Yogi Berra? If you're not the majority, there's no reason it should happen. Even if you are the majority, it's still your PO's call.

If you or the guy on the front line of this doesn't understand the difference between verbal language and written language, there is little point in continuing any discussion.
I'm not worried about anything you write, and I am confident I already know a reliable source on the IBT Constitution.

Here are a few pertinent areas...
Section 14
POWER AND DUTIES OF LOCAL UNION EXECUTIVE
BOARD

A. Except as may be otherwise provided in these By-Laws, the Local Union Executive Board is authorized and empowered to conduct and manage the affairs of this organization...
The Local Union Executive Board, in addition to such other general powers conferred by these By-Laws is hereby empowered to:
(1). Make and change rules and regulation not inconsistent with these By-Laws or the International Constitution for the management and conduct of the affairs of this Local Union;
(16). Do all acts not expressly authorized herein which are necessary or proper in implementation of the above duties for the protection of the property of the Local and for the benefit of the organization and members.

And finally,
Section 27

NEGOTIATIONS, RATIFICATION OF AGREEMENTS,
STRIKES AND LOCKOUTS

A. Whenever a collective bargaining agreement is about to be negotiated, modified or extended at the request of this Local Union, the principal officer shall determine and authorize the bargaining demands to be made.

These bylaws give the your E-Board and PO broad powers to conduct contract negotiations pretty much as they see fit. He/they are under no obligation to further any proposal if they feel it doesn't benefit the members. The only recourse the dissatified members then have is to vote the officers out. Since your current board was unchallenged in the most recent election, they most likely aren't too worried.
They may or may not entertain any proposal. What they can't ignore is the L177 Bylaws or the IBT Constitution, the written versions of each.
Are you related to Yogi Berra? If you're not the majority, there's no reason it should happen. Even if you are the majority, it's still your PO's call.

First, of they can do what ever they want and do nothing with a majority of members wanting a change... They will have to answer to the NLRB...

Second, what makes you think they will not change it anyway... If you are not in this local you don't know crap about it... Just what you are reading...

Why don't you just sit back and see what will happen..

Also, sorry you had to waist all that time with that post... Didn't say much that I already knew but thanks anyway...