Seniority...... who's got what???

Seniority where I am is based on:

• Total voters
And changing seniority in your local wouldn't make any more sense than this as any system change after the fact screws someone.

Vote to red circle present employees and make all the changes you want, after they retire.

To your point though... this guy will most likely move up but the threat of more senior Pkg drivers jumping ahead of him will continually exist. Classification seniority removes that threat. 15 years from now, East Coast will want classification seniority.
HELL NO! I will never want classification seniority... IT'S NOT THE RIGHT THE TO DO! It's selfish to have classification seniority.

Feederquacker

In 177 they hire street feeder all the time... I have a 106 street guys ahead of me... I have 15 years company.
The Me-sters love it! Only way they can get seniority is with that fake classification seniority date.
It's all about me me me!
thats a joke right?

In my region we have had Classification seniority from the beginning. Now we have a group of Package people that want something that suits them and screws others to get what they want. So, who's worried about "Me me me"?

thats a joke right?

In my region we have had Classification seniority from the beginning. Now we have a group of Package people that want something that suits them and screws others to get what they want. So, who's worried about "Me me me"?
No joke... In local 177 it began with carrying seniority.. Then more then 60 years ago it changed to classification seniority... Then 23 years ago it change to full time for vaction picking and layoff.. Every contract I've seen, there is a group of members that try to change it to company seniority... It never gets far... Not enough members wanted the change.... This time it's getting big... Members are coming together... So big that members are going at each other... Feeder street guys are making members feel guilty for even bring it up... Trying to plant poison pills to put a stop to this... It doesn't seem to be working.

Feederquacker

No joke... In local 177 it began with carrying seniority.. Then more then 60 years ago it changed to classification seniority... Then 23 years ago it change to full time for vaction picking and layoff.. Every contract I've seen, there is a group of members that try to change it to company seniority... It never gets far... Not enough members wanted the change.... This time it's getting big... Members are coming together... So big that members are going at each other... Feeder street guys are making members feel guilty for even bring it up... Trying to plant poison pills to put a stop to this... It doesn't seem to be working.
Sounds like you have a problem with outside hires for Feeder. We haven't had an outside hire for Feeder in decades. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last one we had for Package either. They have only been pulling from our Part Time pool. That's the way it should be. Outside hires don't make sense if there are people that want the job that already work here.

Also, you keep referring to everyone in Local 177. How many buildings does that cover? And, do y'all bid from building to building? If so, why?

Feederquacker

The guys with the fake classification seniority dates.
What's fake about it? It is the system that is in place. Life is full of choices. If you choose to take a Package job then fine. If later you decide that you want a physically easier job and want Feeder, great. However, I don't see what gives you the right to take someone spot that has been doing the job for years just because you now want it the other way. It would be one thing if that was the system (Company), but to say to anyone that we don't give a rip that you have been working nights for a decade and now that you've got the hours you want, we are going to change the system so you get bumped back because those who had the opportunity to switch for years now wants your spot. Sounds more like whining and tossing a fit until you get your way like a child.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
="Feederquacker, post: 2518505, member: 5263]We haven't had an outside hire for Feeder in decades. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last one we had for Package either. They have only been pulling from our Part Time pool. That's the way it should be. Outside hires don't make sense if there are people that want the job that already work here.
That's the way it should be....the days of off the street hired is over....should be a 25 to 1 ratio....

Sounds like you have a problem with outside hires for Feeder. We haven't had an outside hire for Feeder in decades. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last one we had for Package either. They have only been pulling from our Part Time pool. That's the way it should be. Outside hires don't make sense if there are people that want the job that already work here.

Also, you keep referring to everyone in Local 177. How many buildings does that cover? And, do y'all bid from building to building? If so, why?

We have a 2/2/1 hiring ratio... 2 full time out of feeder classification transfers/ 2 feeder district feeder district/ and one off the street.. If there is no one on the feeder to feeder list it goes 2/1... The flip side is if package guys go back after putting in their letter to go back, the next guy will be have to wait until the next rotation...

So if the district needs 25 feeder, then it would be Ten fulltkme out of feeder, 10 feeder to feeder and 5 off the street.. If 10 of the full time out of feeder go back (which happens alot). Then 2 more street guys come in... If there is no more feeder to feeder then 3 more street will come in. Also part timers are not allowed to transfer to feeder... They can only go into package and 22.3...

We also don't bid outside of classification. So if you want to go into another classification you have to wait for an opening then transfer in seniority order...

We have 14 bldgs. and three feeder districts.

Feederquacker

We have a 2/2/1 hiring ratio... 2 full time out of feeder classification transfers/ 2 feeder district feeder district/ and one off the street.. If there is no one on the feeder to feeder list it goes 2/1... The flip side is if package guys go back after putting in their letter to go back, the next guy will be have to wait until the next rotation...

So if the district needs 25 feeder, then it would be Ten fulltkme out of feeder, 10 feeder to feeder and 5 off the street.. If 10 of the full time out of feeder go back (which happens alot). Then 2 more street guys come in... If there is no more feeder to feeder then 3 more street will come in. Also part timers are not allowed to transfer to feeder... They can only go into package and 22.3...

We also don't bid outside of classification. So if you want to go into another classification you have to wait for an opening then transfer in seniority order...

Wait a minute.... Help me understand what you just said. Your saying that y'all bid Feeder runs by the district and not by your building? Please tell me that I'm wrong. Or, are you saying that "new" openings are offered to the whole district? Also, why the heck would you not offer Feeder openings to Part-Timers before going to an outside hire? If I got this right then y'all have rediculous problems you need to iron out before you tackle a seniority change.

Wait a minute.... Help me understand what you just said. Your saying that y'all bid Feeder runs by the district and not by your building? Please tell me that I'm wrong. Or, are you saying that "new" openings are offered to the whole district? Also, why the heck would you not offer Feeder openings to Part-Timers before going to an outside hire? If I got this right then y'all have rediculous problems you need to iron out before you tackle a seniority change.
There is three districts with 14 bldgs...

1) Meadowlands Feeder district
Bldgs.
A) Meadowlands
B) gould ave

2) Parrsippiny Feeder district
Bldgs.
A) Parrsippiny
B) Saddle Brook
C) Mt. Olive
D) Spring. Valley
E) New Windsor
friend) Chester
G) Bound Brook

3) Edison Feeder district
Bldgs.
A) Edison
B) Staton Island
C) Tinton Falls
D) Lakewood
E) Trenton

When you transfer to one of these districts. You can bid every job in the district... You can't bid on a job if it's not in your district... So when the jobs bid February, or your bidding the spare list, the master list is in the main district bldg.. So yes, new openings are
offered through the district... As for part timers... The members that want the seniority change are trying to get part timers on broad and they don't care about this fight... The don't vote in our local... We have 8500 members... 3500Ish are fulltime... 1200 to 2000 members vote on average... Just don't think part timers is going to happen... I wish it was the case...

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting

That is a lot of off the street hires... Why isn't it 6 to 1...???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have some ssssrespect for the guys in my area who came off the street either feeder or pkg, but there is a stronger bond for those guys who were part time for years and they get my upmost respect... Especially the part timers now....and if you worked with me part time and still know me in pkg or feeder then there is this thing called a superglue bond...you off the street hires don't need to worry yourselves about that...

What's fake about it? It is the system that is in place. Life is full of choices. If you choose to take a Package job then fine. If later you decide that you want a physically easier job and want Feeder, great. However, I don't see what gives you the right to take someone spot that has been doing the job for years just because you now want it the other way. It would be one thing if that was the system (Company), but to say to anyone that we don't give a rip that you have been working nights for a decade and now that you've got the hours you want, we are going to change the system so you get bumped back because those who had the opportunity to switch for years now wants your spot. Sounds more like whining and tossing a fit until you get your way like a child.
Classification seniority isn't bad when all the members as a majority are ok with it.. When tou have the same system but alot of off the street feeder come in it's a problem...

What makes it worse is when a (this happened right in front of me) feeder senior street guy comes up to a package driver in feeders that got his 25 year patch (most of it was from package) and tells him "you can't wear that patch in feeder... You don't have enough time in feeder"... I said "Lick my friend$&@ing balls you bass munch... That's a senior man You are talking to"...

That's when I had enough of this grabage when heard that... If the feeder street were alittle nice about it I don't think it would have got so big...

I have some ssssrespect for the guys in my area who came off the street either feeder or pkg, but there is a stronger bond for those guys who were part time for years and they get my upmost respect... Especially the part timers now....and if you worked with me part time and still know me in pkg or feeder then there is this thing called a superglue bond...you off the street hires don't need to worry yourselves about that...
In my local the part timers in part time don't vote.. So the get treated like sheet... They never get a nice peace of the pie... Also If the local officials really wanted votes they would put in a part time BA.

That is a lot of off the street hires... Why isn't it 6 to 1...???
A lot of package members go back... In local 177 when you want to go feeder from package you have to transfer.. We don't bid outside classification... So once they stay they are locked in after 30 days with no letter want to go back... If they want to go back the have to transfer, then they lose their seniority... It's a big commitment to think about... So the company clams they need the more flexible to hire more off the street.