Seniority...... who's got what???

Seniority where I am is based on:

• Total voters

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Classification seniority isn't bad when all the members as a majority are ok with it.. When tou have the same system but alot of off the street feeder come in it's a problem...

What makes it worse is when a (this happened right in front of me) feeder senior street guy comes up to a package driver in feeders that got his 25 year patch (most of it was from package) and tells him "you can't wear that patch in feeder... You don't have enough time in feeder"... I said "Lick my friend$&@ing balls you bass munch... That's a senior man You are talking to"...

That's when I had enough of this grabage when heard that... If the feeder street were alittle nice about it I don't think it would have got so big...
Wow....Dude sounds like a ass... Probably one of these guys who would NEVER made it part time or years in pkg....it's none of his damn business where the circle of honor driving came from....

Feederquacker

In my local the part timers in part time don't vote.. So the get treated like sheet... They never get a nice peace of the pie... Also If the local officials really wanted votes they would put in a part time BA.
Why in the hel do they not vote? They are Union Members! You pay dues, why don't they vote? Are they discouraged or is your Local just not interested in what they have to say? The latter would mean y'all have a real problem that you have got to fix before you do anything else.

Inthegame

Why in the hel do they not vote? They are Union Members! You pay dues, why don't they vote? Are they discouraged or is your Local just not interested in what they have to say? The latter would mean y'all have a real problem that you have got to fix before you do anything else.
L177 is an engaged local that is known for fighting for their members. L177 cases at National Panels are well attended and their officers and agents are respected.
In my local the part timers in part time don't vote.. So the get treated like sheet... They never get a nice peace of the pie... Also If the local officials really wanted votes they would put in a part time BA.
Are you alleging a full time BA doesn't represent or can't generate interest from part timers that a part time BA could/would?
You do know L177 is far from unique in not having pt's vote. Part time members apathy has little correlation to whether their agent is full or part time.

542thruNthru

L177 is an engaged local that is known for fighting for their members. L177 cases at National Panels are well attended and their officers and agents are respected.

Are you alleging a full time BA doesn't represent or can't generate interest from part timers that a part time BA could/would?
You do know L177 is far from unique in not having pt's vote. Part time members apathy has little correlation to whether their agent is full or part time.

I could be wrong but I think he means put in a BA for just the part timers. Which still doesn't solve anything.

The problem is nj is one of the most expensive state to live in... It's bad enough you only start out at 8 and change... Doing that in nj... Forget about... Then the local is so big... There is 4000 members that are part time... They are also in there late teens and early 20s as a majority... They are only there for beer money...

I get what you are saying but as a majority they come and go.. Only a few leave part time to go fulltime... Ups also will make it so hard to go full time with all the restrictions they put up when going into package...

The local Bas do a great job with the local.. If some thing needs to be done first it's give the part timers better pay... Then again, if they are still young they might not speak up anyway...

Feederquacker

The problem is nj is one of the most expensive state to live in... It's bad enough you only start out at 8 and change... Doing that in nj... Forget about... Then the local is so big... There is 4000 members that are part time... They are also in there late teens and early 20s as a majority... They are only there for beer money...

I get what you are saying but as a majority they come and go.. Only a few leave part time to go fulltime... Ups also will make it so hard to go full time with all the restrictions they put up when going into package...

The local Bas do a great job with the local.. If some thing needs to be done first it's give the part timers better pay... Then again, if they are still young they might not speak up anyway...
Most P/T'ers are that age. That's not an excuse for your local to dissmiss them like that. You want the ratio to change? Get your P/T'ers envolved. Show the company that they want those jobs. From what you've said, between bidding runs amongnst 14 buildings and the 2/2/1 ratio for outside hires, you have to be nuts to say what y'all are doing is the right way to do things.

raceanoncr

Where I retired from, in feeders, we always had Company seniority. Yes, it created dissention and malcontent and was on the chopping block many times but never passed.

Yes, I was one that was POd many times. Got passed over, I think, 17 times by package drivers. But, it was a rule I had to live by.

The first few years, I didn't even had a bid. Here, lowest driver used to run vacations, days off, sick days, on-call, etc. I think it was five years before I could hold a bid and you know what THAT was. Got bumped out a few times because of this company senior rule.

After 32 years, finally made it to a place where I could bid some decent runs, runs that suited me and I was happy with. Was on Sleeper Team for five, mileage runs near the end, layover runs that nobody wanted.

Yes, I know they say these package drivers paid their dues by running 10/20 or more years in that brutal environment and had/have the right to take their seniority to feeders but, at the time, I felt I paid MY dues, also, running from day ONE in all kind of conditions and times.

I'm OK with both systems but just didn't like MY system. Made the best of it, tho.

Most P/T'ers are that age. That's not an excuse for your local to dissmiss them like that. You want the ratio to change? Get your P/T'ers envolved. Show the company that they want those jobs. From what you've said, between bidding runs amongnst 14 buildings and the 2/2/1 ratio for outside hires, you have to be nuts to say what y'all are doing is the right way to do things.
The local isn't dismissing them... They are dismissing them selfs... By not putting in proposals when told to or voting contracts down when they got nothing... Members have been going around asking part timers to join the fight... The part timers are not showing up... I believe in what you are saying... I have part time years and I'm ot willing to give my full time years just to fight for someone that doesn't. Believe in unions to stand yo and fight... There are more fulltime members that don't have part time then members that do... If the part timers that are part time don't come foward then it will get shot down....

542thruNthru

Do you think having a BA for part timers is a good idea? In your opinion what does solve this dilemma of the part timers not voting.

To be honest I don't think having a BA for part timers would do anything for voting. Most PT don't even know what a BA is or care.

Most of our PT are kids. In their minds they don't expect to be here long. So they don't care as long as they are getting paid. I don't think you can ever solve the problem of PT not voting. Hell most FT don't even vote.

To be honest I don't think having a BA for part timers would do anything for voting. Most PT don't even know what a BA is or care.

Most of our PT are kids. In their minds they don't expect to be here long. So they don't care as long as they are getting paid. I don't think you can ever solve the problem of PT not voting. Hell most FT don't even vote.
It's one thing to have a part time eork force... It's a another thing to pay them crap... If they voted, they could get a better pay rate...

542thruNthru

It's one thing to have a part time eork force... It's a another thing to pay them crap... If they voted, they could get a better pay rate...

Yes the problem is that pretty much every company pays their part time works crap. So most of the part time workers see it as just like any other job. I think they should get paid more also but most are between 18-23 here. They don't pay attention to anything.

dudebro

Wow....Dude sounds like a ass... Probably one of these guys who would NEVER made it part time or years in pkg....it's none of his damn business where the circle of honor driving came from....
Honestly, safe driving is a LOT harder in package with 150 stops a day and changing local conditions. In feeder when you're droning along in the right lane from Meadowlands to Baltimore and back on I-95 for your 11 hours - not so much.

over9five

Staff member
Honestly, safe driving is a LOT harder in package with 150 stops a day and changing local conditions. In feeder when you're droning along in the right lane from Meadowlands to Baltimore and back on I-95 for your 11 hours - not so much.

Hmm, tough one. Try driving a tractor trailer from alcove to alcove at the mall, especially this time of year.

Having done both jobs, and working toward 30 years of safe driving, I'd have to say Feeders is harder to stay safe in. You just have so much more equipment to be aware of. It's nothing to whip a small vehicle like a package car around corners, and through neighborhoods. You have so much more to think about with a tractor trailer.