PT Car Washer

Seriously it's hard to defend some of these younger guys. They are late more in one minmo than I have been in my entire career. And they think nothing is wrong with that.
It is a minimum wage job with no benefits. If the job was all that important, why would it not pay more.

Indecisi0n

e4832295bbb8d1f8ec94b30bb336d10b.gif

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
You could have been like a new hire at my center today. Overslept and had his wife call the sup on his first day.

Let go on the spot.

UPS don’t play around man and you seriously can’t do anything to put a target on your back. UPS moves and it moves fast, you must be self motivated and self disciplined, and highly independent. There are so many passive aggressive notices about time at my center....on time is late blah blah blah...

In my opinion you gave them rounds to fire at you and I would just suck this one up and crack on.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The only way I would fight this is if you were on-time ready to work, got all your things together, and simply forgot to punch in. Actually arriving late though do not bother. And the best way to fight being sent home (in general) is to raise your voice and raise hell until the steward hears you.

Here we regularly have late punches because the clock-in machine might not have been set up correctly or there was simply a line in front of it at the start of the shift.

Supervisors working is something separate, I would talk to your shop steward. Where I am, someone else would volunteer to file to earn some bennies and keep your name out.

El Correcto

god is dead
Would you rather them give you a verbal for being late or a warning letter ? Pick your battles more wisely.
Honestly if they sent him home today he’ll lose two days of pay. I’d fight this using the supervisoring working. You might not get your pay for the holiday, but you might receive a nice little check for having two days off.

PlayTheGame

All I’m saying if they are going to send me home, shouldn’t they do it by the contract?

I’m not debating I was late. All I’m saying is my buddy was later then I was and they didn’t send him home. Can they do that?

They also had 2 supervisors unload a few trucks, scan the packages to put the belt color sticker on the packages and had a supervisor on the sort line.

Can I file?
Guessing you're new, probably barely passed probation (if that) and haven't paid into the union yet? You're basically everyone b**tch until you do that. If you're late or they have too many people they can cut you so be on time. It also depends on your supervisor and full-timer, if they like you more then likely they'll never mess with you...if they don't know you or don't like you then you're friend*cked. Don't be late

But a lot of people on this thread are exaggerating and just giving you a hard time. When you're in the union you can play the system all you want and get away with so much crap, you'll see all these guys that just want the benefits and have no intention of moving up...so they just stay and get their penny raise every year for the next 20 years like some bottom feeders.

But anyway yes if you're around your year and have paid into the union you need to tell your supervisor to piss off next time and go talk to your rep, because in that event they shouldn't be sending you home for being 2 mins late. Play the system and look out for yourself cause nobody else will. and yes you can grievance them for working.

UPS Preloader

Curious on the rules. I’m in Chesapeake district of DC.

I clocked in 2 min late. While I was walking to the package car to load it, I was told I wasn’t needed and was being sent home. (Which is fine as I was late and was okay with being sent home)

I later found out that people who haven’t finished their 30 days were working that day (which I’m sure they were on time) so that’s also not anything to care about.

But a buddy of mine said he came in 15 min late and they didn’t say anything to him and let him work the entire shift. He didn’t call ahead of time or anything. He just showed up.

Is that allowed? Again not going to make a federal case about it but I’m just curious as this center is starting to mess with me hard. They do a lot of shady things and I haven’t said anything to the union. I’m just trying to get a better understanding of the contract so that if they want to start giving me crap, I know how hard they can push issues.

If it’s not allowed, anyone know how long I have to grieve it? I’d like to know my options and see if they continue messing with me.

I’ve been on time everyday since, so no more issues as of yet

If your buddy has less seniority than you or any supervisors worked that day you have a case.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive

I clocked in 2 min late.

I’m just trying to get a better understanding of the contract so that if they want to start giving me crap, I know how hard they can push issues.

Try reading it.

Window8

Guessing you're new, probably barely passed probation (if that) and haven't paid into the union yet? You're basically everyone b**tch until you do that. If you're late or they have too many people they can cut you so be on time. It also depends on your supervisor and full-timer, if they like you more then likely they'll never mess with you...if they don't know you or don't like you then you're friend*cked. Don't be late

But a lot of people on this thread are exaggerating and just giving you a hard time. When you're in the union you can play the system all you want and get away with so much crap, you'll see all these guys that just want the benefits and have no intention of moving up...so they just stay and get their penny raise every year for the next 20 years like some bottom feeders.

But anyway yes if you're around your year and have paid into the union you need to tell your supervisor to piss off next time and go talk to your rep, because in that event they shouldn't be sending you home for being 2 mins late. Play the system and look out for yourself cause nobody else will. and yes you can grievance them for working.

Thank you!! Appreciate it. I’ve been here for only 5 months. But I’ve paid into the union.

Not saying I’m going to file over this but wanted to know if I could.

Sup here do union work everyday. One guy mentioned it to a Sup that they couldn’t do it and they messed with Hard now.

john chesney

I clocked in 2 min late. While I was walking to the package car to load it, I was told I wasn’t needed and was being sent home. (Which is fine as I was late and was okay with being sent home)

I later found out that people who haven’t finished their 30 days were working that day (which I’m sure they were on time) so that’s also not anything to care about.

But a buddy of mine said he came in 15 min late and they didn’t say anything to him and let him work the entire shift. He didn’t call ahead of time or anything. He just showed up.

Is that allowed? Again not going to make a federal case about it but I’m just curious as this center is starting to mess with me hard. They do a lot of shady things and I haven’t said anything to the union. I’m just trying to get a better understanding of the contract so that if they want to start giving me crap, I know how hard they can push issues.

If it’s not allowed, anyone know how long I have to grieve it? I’d like to know my options and see if they continue messing with me.

I think I might politely ask them about why you were sent home.Get a feel for their reasoning.If you have attendance problems I’d tread lightly and remember where I’m from being late even 1 minute is an infraction.

dudebro

It was the same day. Should have been more
Clear about that. Sorry

So. I guess the way to say this is that once you arrived late for work, you forfeited your right to demand your guaranteed work hours. This protection in the contract is there to protect you from favoritism by management by ensuring that every Teamster who comes to work on time is guaranteed to have a minimum number of hours. But this protection is ONLY triggered when you're at work on time.

When you didn't arrive on time, you gave that protection up. Now, management could pick and choose who they wanted to work. They picked your buddy, maybe he / she works harder.

The supervisor working issue is a different one, but Indecision and others already gave you some wise advice on that one.

Window8

Appreciate it everyone. I’m probably going to let this one go. This happened last week and I’ve been on time everyday since. They haven’t messed with me since this occurred.

Each center must be different. Here we had a guy file for supervisors working and he told them he was going to file. They took him off his normal job of doing oversized packages and made him be the flipper for small sort. They started writing him up for every little thing. He eventually quit. And supervisors still do union jobs everyday here. Id like to file for supervisors working but I don’t need a bigger target on my back.