Shareholders Letter to Carol Tome

Undertow

2313276QWE7TvRS.gif
Hilarious! Too bad we didn't have signs with that slogan printed up in 2018 when Taylor gift-wrapped 22.4 and handed it to the company!

Pullman Brown

We don't service the customer. For what they pay for. Once they figure that out. They will either leave or sue.

Did our demand for next day residential service drop when the change occurred? If it did probably not by much since our main competitor offers the same time. Where are they going to go?

I agree that we don’t put the extra effort to get next day stops out with a late plane etc.. but you have to allocate the scarce resources you have at that time to maximize your profits. That’s capitalism!

Arizax2

Yes and that department is precisely where the fat needs to be trimmed to make us more profitable
There's are more departments in UPS than most people are aware off. However they do fit a need. The operation at small package makes the company money but these other departments save the company money by leveraging data and using that to help leadership make decisions. Everything the company does has analytics behind it especially since Carol came on board. Decisions are not made through gut feelings but on raw data. If you look up on the MCO site you will see a ton of data driven jobs they are looking to fill across the country. There's a reason the company talks about getting better and not bigger.

anonymous23456

I think they are trying to convince people that the only reason UPS is profitable is because of management and corporate positions.
This is an oversimplification of a business organization. Teamsters are the big part of it, but you can't say teamsters do it all. What's the point of corporations? Let have all teamsters run businesses and we get rid of capitalism all together! I welcome changes because capitalism does get old.

Thebrownblob

This is an oversimplification of a business organization. Teamsters are the big part of it, but you can't say teamsters do it all. What's the point of corporations? Let have all teamsters run businesses and we get rid of capitalism all together! I welcome changes because capitalism does get old.
Nobody says Teamsters do it all. But from operations right down to anything you’re doing your way more easily replaced or completely eliminated. Whether it’s by AI or by outsourcing your department to some foreign country.. just in my center five Oncars one Center Manager and the dispatcher. Any of those three could be gone tomorrow and we wouldn’t miss a beat. Every single one of the Oncar’s is gone by 1:30 to 2 o’clock almost daily. Not gloating or agreeing just stating simple fact.

RangerMan06

Best idea you've had.

Do away with nearly all corporate positions and allow local management more freedom to run the center and dispatch as needed and our profits would SOAR!!

We don't need countless eggheads sitting at a desk in different states monitoring how many backs people have or how close to ORion we are in trace.

anonymous23456

Best idea you've had.

Do away with nearly all corporate positions and allow local management more freedom to run the center and dispatch as needed and our profits would SOAR!!

We don't need countless eggheads sitting at a desk in different states monitoring how many backs people have or how close to ORion we are in trace.
No. When I say teamsters-run businesses, I don't mean the gov to be involved! Teamsters raise money and start businesses to compete with other non-union businesses. You can't remove capitalism, but you can put it out of business by coming up with better economic model.

RangerMan06

No. When I say teamsters-run businesses, I don't mean the gov to be involved! Teamsters raise money and start businesses to compete with other non-union businesses. You can't remove capitalism, but you can put it out of business by coming up with better economic model.

That's a corporate wet dream that will never happen here. UPS is the best delivery business in the world and the biggest reason why is because of the hard work of the Teamsters.

anonymous23456

Lotsa talk.
But after you wade through it all, the money comes from the production (work) of the loaders and drivers in operations.
Yes. Tell business development people don't hustle to sign up new business. Tell corporate lawyers that they are not needed to review contracts. Tell custom people that they are not needed make sure taxes and custom duty needed to be taken care of. Customers will just show up at UPS by default and nothing needed to be done.

UPSER1987

There's are more departments in UPS than most people are aware off. However they do fit a need. The operation at small package makes the company money but these other departments save the company money by leveraging data and using that to help leadership make decisions. Everything the company does has analytics behind it especially since Carol came on board. Decisions are not made through gut feelings but on raw data. If you look up on the MCO site you will see a ton of data driven jobs they are looking to fill across the country. There's a reason the company talks about getting better and not bigger.
You’re speaking over these guys heads. They have no clue or understanding of anything beyond card.

JustDeliverIt

Yes. Tell business development people don't hustle to sign up new business. Tell corporate lawyers that they are not needed to review contracts. Tell custom people that they are not needed make sure taxes and custom duty needed to be taken care of. Customers will just show up at UPS by default and nothing needed to be done.

I don’t think anyone will disagree that those other jobs have an importance to the operation as a whole, but at the end of the day you’re selling a service. That service doesn’t exist without the Teamster work force.

Plus, at the end of the day, we continue to do our job as well as others. We are told to look for new work or see work slipping away say something (sales), driver follow ups (loss prevention), babysit helpers/pvd (on car or hr) and others all while doing our own job of delivering packages while being safe while doing it.

This job is not rocket science but it’s a lot more than many understand. That is why many of us who do the actual work understand that a lot of management is unnecessary.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Folks that do the jobs you speak of spend most of their time trying to justify that their jobs are necessary to the fella over them who gets paid even more for doing even less.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
Did our demand for next day residential service drop when the change occurred? If it did probably not by much since our main competitor offers the same time. Where are they going to go?

I agree that we don’t put the extra effort to get next day stops out with a late plane etc.. but you have to allocate the scarce resources you have at that time to maximize your profits. That’s capitalism!
Capitalism is giving the customers the service you promised. When not providing the service you are liable for not getting the service.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

“Business Development Departments” went bye, bye a couple of years ago.

“Corporate Lawyers” cause more problems than they solve.

“Custom and Duty” has always been a head ache…Never popular with our customers or employees.