Should a New Employee worry about Possible Strike?

Changingtimes99

Ok. No worries. Good attitude.

To be clear: The only outcome of a strike will be beneficial? Interesting.

The strike of 1997 had devastating impacts that still linger today. Accounts we never got back to this day.

MOF, my seniority into feeders took 4 years.......volume.

And he would be low man.......with all that could mean.

Now for a seasoned, seniority employee with a few years in......and could possibly weather a loss of $4-6K......carry on.
You bring up a good point . We could end up striking and set the company back decades which in turn effects me and local 804. This will allow the competition to grow and competitors like Amazon to take our accounts. Less boxes = less jobs, less OT etc . I'm not saying it's as simple as that but I am not confident that my local has or even understands what the workers need. Perrone is a step in the right direction but 804 still has a long way to go.

JL 0513

A strike is intended to make things better for the employees but ironically will largely make things worse. In the end there may be a little better pay, the 22.4 classification might be gone, and whatever other grievance may be improved but many will lose their jobs, all of us that don't have a ton of savings will hurt for a while, the company will be a lot weaker and its reputation diminished.

If you're at the bottom 30% of seniority, I'd be very concerned about losing the job permanently.

Over70irregs

1679366475639.png

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just a few thoughts from someone who has "been there, done that":

1. There is not going to be a strike. Today's workforce does not have the cajones to walk----way too many people living paycheck to paycheck, way too many new cars and above their means mortgages. The FT drivers will get their customary $1/hr raises while the starting PT pay will be bumped to $20/hr. Keep in mind that this is a job that requires only a valid driver's license and HS diploma---you guys are not performing brain surgery or rocket science.
2. 22.4's and PVD's aren't going anywhere; in fact, you will see an increase in the number of 22.4's and the use of PVD's outside of Peak.
3. AC in the PC's does not make any sense; however, there needs to be an increased effort to ventilate the cargo areas of the PC's. The white fans are a start but there needs to be a way to have (solar?) powered fans with ventilation slots added to all of the PC's.
4. Get used to the outward and driver facing cameras as they are not going anywhere. Do your jobs as though your kids are in the jump seat and the cameras won't be an issue. In addition, you can expect to see an expanded use of technology for disciplinary purposes and an increased emphasis on production.
5. Orion 2.0 ("Delivering for Dummies") is not going anywhere. The Company likes the flexibility of handing the DIAD to any driver to cover any route.
6. You will never see a 401k match. UPS pays the administrative fees.
7. The forced 6th punch is an issue that needs to go away, whether through the expanded used of 22.4's or through creative scheduling.
8. Rural remote/deferred delivery makes sense but it cannot be used as a dispatch tool. Any country driver worth his/her salt knows where to leave "runners" in town, saving a lot of miles in the process. Simply pulling entire zip codes does not work.
9. Pension contributions need to be made on ALL hours worked, not just the first 40.
10. This is Sean's first contract and while he will try to make a statement in the end both sides will come together to reach an amicable agreement.

This is not 1997 and there will be ZERO support for a strike, especially once the general public finds out how much you guys make for bringing a box to someone's front door. I recall our local newspaper publishing an article several days in to the strike which listed our wages down to the penny. Our overwhelming public support dwindled dramatically once people learned how much we made.

There was another thread asking what can and cannot be done on a picket line. Keep in mind that the strike involves the Union and the Company, not you and your on car. While I don't expect a strike, the one piece of advice that I would give is to not burn any bridges during the work stoppage, which will almost certainly lead to a lock out. The strike, if it happens, will end and you will have to go back to work with (and for) the very people that you are in disagreement with. This may surprise you but the majority of your management team want the hourlies to get everything that they are asking for. Finally, as was mentioned above, there are no "winners" or "losers" in a strike. It took us a long time to get back to "normal" in '97. Many shippers were surprised by the strike and took measures to ensure that their shipments would not be disrupted in the future, most notably setting up pickup accounts with both companies. The relationships that we used to enjoy with our shippers were forever changed.

Thebrownblob

1. There is not going to be a strike. Today's workforce does not have the cajones to walk----way too many people living paycheck to paycheck, way too many new cars and above their means mortgages. The FT drivers will get their customary $1/hr raises while the starting PT pay will be bumped to $20/hr. Keep in mind that this is a job that requires only a valid driver's license and HS diploma---you guys are not performing brain surgery or rocket science.
2. 22.4's and PVD's aren't going anywhere; in fact, you will see an increase in the number of 22.4's and the use of PVD's outside of Peak.
3. AC in the PC's does not make any sense; however, there needs to be an increased effort to ventilate the cargo areas of the PC's. The white fans are a start but there needs to be a way to have (solar?) powered fans with ventilation slots added to all of the PC's.
4. Get used to the outward and driver facing cameras as they are not going anywhere. Do your jobs as though your kids are in the jump seat and the cameras won't be an issue. In addition, you can expect to see an expanded use of technology for disciplinary purposes and an increased emphasis on production.
5. Orion 2.0 ("Delivering for Dummies") is not going anywhere. The Company likes the flexibility of handing the DIAD to any driver to cover any route.
7. The forced 6th punch is an issue that needs to go away, whether through the expanded used of 22.4's or through creative scheduling.
8. Rural remote/deferred delivery makes sense but it cannot be used as a dispatch tool. Any country driver worth his/her salt knows where to leave "runners" in town, saving a lot of miles in the process. Simply pulling entire zip codes does not work.
9. Pension contributions need to be made on ALL hours worked, not just the first 40.
10. This is Sean's first contract and while he will try to make a statement in the end both sides will come together to reach an amicable agreement.

This is not 1997 and there will be ZERO support for a strike, especially once the general public finds out how much you guys make for bringing a box to someone's front door. I recall our local newspaper publishing an article several days in to the strike which listed our wages down to the penny. Our overwhelming public support dwindled dramatically once people learned how much we made.

There was another thread asking what can and cannot be done on a picket line. Keep in mind that the strike involves the Union and the Company, not you and your on car. While I don't expect a strike, the one piece of advice that I would give is to not burn any bridges during the work stoppage, which will almost certainly lead to a lock out. The strike, if it happens, will end and you will have to go back to work with (and for) the very people that you are in disagreement with. This may surprise you but the majority of your management team want the hourlies to get everything that they are asking for. Finally, as was mentioned above, there are no "winners" or "losers" in a strike. It took us a long time to get back to "normal" in '97. Many shippers were surprised by the strike and took measures to ensure that their shipments would not be disrupted in the future, most notably setting up pickup accounts with both companies. The relationships that we used to enjoy with our shippers were forever changed.
1679399015655.gif

CHEMA-DELMA

Carol walks on water, see how Sean deals with her. The old Teamster tough guy approach how did that go on Capital Hill??

Over70irregs

Number 9) Pension for all hours solves most of your woes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Funny because I had quite a few nonunion friends who happen to see that exchange, and thought he did a brilliant job. As most people are tired of lying Politicians and greedy lying CEOs.
I think if he had left it with his original response it would have been fine---it was when he kept pressing the issue that he came off like a bully (and idiot).

Thebrownblob

I think if he had left it with his original response it would have been fine---it was when he kept pressing the issue that he came off like a bully (and idiot).
He was a bully and an idiot for telling the truth? Markwyane was lying and was hiding his money. Including hilarious lie that he only Paid himself $50,000. Maybe O’Brien just didn’t want to kiss his ass like he would have. Remember, the senator attacked him for no reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He was a bully and an idiot for telling the truth? Markwyane was lying and was hiding his money. Including hilarious lie that he only Paid himself $50,000. Maybe O’Brien just didn’t want to kiss his ass like he would have. Remember, the senator attacked him for no reason.
He is no longer president of a Union local (25) in union strong Boston-----he is the president of one of the largest, if not the largest, labor unions in the world, much of which is not nearly as union strong. As such, he needs to conduct himself in a more "Hoffa like" manner while maintaining his own principles and steadfast desire to put the members first. In other words, he needs to learn how to play the game without changing the rules along the way. I would have to think that he would become more personally involved in the contract negotiations the closer we get to 8/1. Coming in swinging is not going to help anyone. Carol may be new to UPS but she is not new to the corporate world. She trimmed the fat at Home Depot and will continue to do the same here.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Just a few thoughts from someone who has "been there, done that"

And more "thoughts" from the peanut gallery.

:biggrin:

Dave, your opinions have always been askew with reality.

You certainly have the right to an opinion.... but, have been consistently wrong over the years.

I would have to think that he would become more personally involved in the contract negotiations the closer we get to 8/1.

Really ?

Who do you think is running the show ?

Wow.