Should deaf people be allowed to drive package?

Should deaf people be allowed to drive package for UPS?

• Total voters

LBX73

oh please!! What gives you the right to judge those deaf people like that? So suppose if you were in deaf world, and we say Hearing people better not drive these trucks around because its a big responsibility! So now you feel so judged and limited? FYI, Deaf people have the highest best drivers and more safer than you hearing people. People like you are ignorance!! Before you even say those things, put yourself in our shoes. We all need jobs, we all need to make a living to provide for our kids. Any jobs should fit for each one of us. Wow.. you are unbelievable!!

LBX73

LOL, I do know lot of deaf people and including myself that have a CDL licenses. I drove school buses, fedex, and others. I passed the test with a flying colors.
there are few deaf people that I know drives 18 wheelers. Oh yeah. they are out there on the roads now making all the america dream money!! Never look down on deaf person because their intelligent could be higher than yours! Done said!

over9five

Staff member
LOL, I do know lot of deaf people and including myself that have a CDL licenses. I drove school buses, fedex, and others. I passed the test with a flying colors.
there are few deaf people that I know drives 18 wheelers. Oh yeah. they are out there on the roads now making all the america dream money!! Never look down on deaf person because their intelligent could be higher than yours! Done said!

Welcome to Brown Cafe, LBX73! Great perspective, do you drive for UPS?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If they can get a DOT card and are otherwise capable of meeting the qualifications of being a driver, then my answer would be "yes". We have a couple of hearing-impaired drivers, I dont know if they are completely deaf or not, but they do just fine.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Great, now we have a Deaf, Troll, Necroposter!

What next, a guy from Canada, formerly with UPS that gives candy to impoverished children, while on a vacation paid for by Canadian taxpayers, while bashing America???:wink2:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
why not have blind preloaders. . .

Are you sure some arnt blind? Looks like it to me sometimes.

Working inside the building sure, never allowed outside working in the yard. Allowed to walk walkways and to break areas. Too many people with perfect hearing die in the yard as is. As for driving, I dont agree with it. Not because they couldnt talk with someone, because it would be a huge safety concern. Package cars arnt really normal driving cars, more like tanks. Unless there was trials about this topic and it going safely then alright. Other then that no, until test are taken often for some time on road.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Package car drivers do not require a CDL so if a deaf person can drive a car they should be able to drive a pkg car. It would be kind of nice to go into a stop, nod, and move on. I'm not much for small talk, got stuff to do.

Fordsvt93

At my center in largo Florida ,we have a deaf driver! He fought with ups for years in court for the right to be a driver and finally won about 3 year ago. I don't know all the details of his case,or how much he was awarded monetarily because it's all hush hush but he did get seniority consistent with where he would've been without a lawsuit . He was trained on one route(industrial) and the customers are aware of his disability,and no one can bump him off that route!he has had one tier 1 accident and they gave him hell about it,but for the most part he does fine.just don't let him start a conversation while you are trying to punch out.....lots of writing on delivery notices and he can yell loud

barnyard

KTM rider
I thought if you are deaf, you cannot hold a DOT health card, if you cannot hold a DOT health card how can you legally drive???

I remember when the Florida case was going through the courts, I thought it would be pretty cut and dried. Evidently it is not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

if a deaf person is allowed to drive pkg car then we sholuld be allowed to wear earphones. It would be the same thing.

Are you deaf? If not, then you have no idea whether it is the same thing or not.

My son is hearing impaired. He told me that it sounds like he is under water so, no, it would not be the same thing as wearing earphones.