Should I Become a Steward?

ski or die

Ski or Die
Be prepared for a tough road. When I became steward, our manager pulled me in the office and told me if I would work with them, things would be easy, if not they would make things very difficult for me. I was our first elected steward and all my fellow employees knew I was honest and would fight for every grievance. I refused to bend, and things were very difficult at times. Grow some tough skin. But don't be afraid to stand up to them. And keep you nose clean.

542thruNthru

Long story short the union steward for my hub is about to get voted out because he is useless and I was thinking about taking his place, but I’m not entirely sure how the process works! Any advice?

First thing you need to know is a steward is on the clock 24/7. You are the members first line of defense. They contact you when they have a issue before anyone else. Most member always think their job is on the line and need reassurance. Understand that and get used to it.

If you do not feel you can handle that.... stop now.

I was asked to be a steward and declined because I didn't think I could give the position the attention it deserves. It's a thankless job. Most members don't know the contract. Some will blame you for not working miracles.

If you can't handle that stop now.

Still learning (it’s a lot and the language gets confusing at times). But I definitely know enough to sit in a union meeting with an employee with attendance issues. That’s about all the current one ever does from what I see. He never says a word.

You think that is all he deals with but I assure you he is dealing with more. Lots of things go on unnoticed. As a steward you don't gossip and spread what other members are going through. Attendance issues are easy. They need no representation most times because they are pretty cut and dry (show up to work).

I believe every steward is always learning. A steward that isn't constantly trying to learn the contract (and state law) is unprepared. If you have the drive to study and be there for your members because you care then the knowledge will come and you will make a good steward.

If you really want to put the member's first. Study up and go for it

http://www.teamsterslocal804.org/docman/steward-forms/7-2014-ups-stewards-guide/file

This is a great link but remember every local is different. Also every BA is different and you should talk to him/her about your interest in being a steward. The BA ( business agent) is someone you'll be dealing with a lot. A bad one can make your life as a steward hell. A good BA can help you and teach you a lot. Find out what type yours is.

How do I do this? Do you have a link or anything?

You can find your contract and supplemental riders here.
UPS Agreements, 2013 – 2018

My steward makes a point of introducing himself to every new driver/loader and giving them this link. It's handy to have in this generation.

That's another thing to learn from. A steward is usually the first and sometimes (sadly) the only person most members know/meet in their union. Reaching out to new member strengthens and helps your local/members.

I am happy to hear you are interested in becoming a steward. It shows that you are interested in getting involved with the union. Even if you decide being a steward is not for you, remember knowledge is power my friend. Learn your contract, go to local meetings, spread your knowledge. Soon you may find you are the right person to be a steward. If not you will still be a valuable resource for your fellow members.

Good luck.