Should UPS drivers be allowed to have beards?

Should drivers be allowed to have beards?

• Total voters

Braveheart

I do not have a beard nor would I care to have one. They said they could not allow us to wear shorts because we would not look professional. HA! Look at the profits climb year after year. The shorts did not hurt the business nor will a beard. There are many other shipping companies that allow them including the Post Office. I witness doctors, lawyers, accountants, college professers, judges, with facial hair everyday. They all seem pretty professional to me. The others come to mind, Moses, President Ab Lincoln, and Jesus Christ. Oh but they were not professional huh?!?

trickpony1

Aspen-
I'm doing as well as can be expected, thanks for asking.
Congrats on your accomplishment :thumbup1:
I have a relative that went through the same training you did. She said it was the hardest thing she has ever done with the 8 hour days and then non-stop studying after she got home.
She went on to get her RN after about 6 years experience.
The world has been laid before you....congrats again!

frateshkr

I know what you are saying SAMMIE> I dont want to cut my hair, but when in mgmt, I always had it in a bun, or something like that. Then one day I got a new sup and she let hers fly in a big long tail, then when I went driving, I saw the same with other drivers. So now I just whip it in a tail and go and no one has said a word in 15 yrs.........I even saw a girl once with hair well below her shoulders just leave it down. I dont do that for my own safety. It can get in the way while working. But the tail keeps it just fine.

should this apply to men drivers and supervisors as well?

Dutch Dawg

If well groomed beards were to be allowed, I imagine they could regulate it just as they do sideburn and mustache length now. I doubt management will not change their position on this though. As pointed out in several other posts on this thread they have recently changed their position on tatoos with a new mandate they be covered by long sleeves in some regions. It will be interesting to see if this goes any further and how it plays out in the courts.

Sammie

should this apply to men drivers and supervisors as well?

I was referring to male drivers in particular that I have seen when I made this comment. The guys have hair down to their butt, wrap it up in a pony tail, tuck it under their hats and away they go. I never thought UPS would bend for the long hair!!! :ohmy:

bear123

I knew when I went to work for UPS that you had to have your hair neat and there were guidelines for mustouches and no beards---I accepted this. I would love to have a handlebar mustouche---but understand that it is against the UPS guidelines.

Why is it that once people get hired on they want to change everything---I knew that UPS expected me to work hard----and it was a very physical and mentally challenging job---but the pay was good and the benefits even better. I also knew that there would be long hours--might even have to work through lunch if you want to get off early--you work until you get done---I accepted that. I hear drivers complain about over 9.5-----poor working conditions--need a shower in the locker room----maybe a small refrig in the package car--air conditioning because it gets too hot??

Our competition doesn't have a lot of rules---want to wear a beard---t shirt with Metallica on it want to work shorter hours, but don't mind getting paid less, or getting worse benefits-----maybe some should go seek out other employers-------of course those employers may not be in business in 5 years!

I have been at UPS going on 30 years this August. When it comes to policies I am usually total against it, but this is one policy I do agree with. One of you guys said, If you keep it trim it should be okay. What is the definition of trim? Close to your face, an inch long, but not scraggly etc. I have seen mail men with beards, some of them look like mountain men. It is disgusting and totally unprofessinal. the reason why UPS wants no beard is because the drivers meet with the public and as somebody else said, Image is everything.
By the way, you're lucky you dont work at IBM or Disneyland. It used to be that employees at those companies not only couldnt wear a beard but also no mustache. I used to think it funny, because at Disneyland, no one could wear facial hair, but Walt Disney himself had a mustache. Talk aout a double standard.

Sammie

By the way, you're lucky you dont work at IBM or Disneyland. It used to be that employees at those companies not only couldnt wear a beard but also no mustache. I used to think it funny, because at Disneyland, no one could wear facial hair, but Walt Disney himself had a mustache. Talk aout a double standard.

As you know, DHL sports the bright yellow/bright orange red colors on their vehicles. We saw a DHL driver in his truck not too long ago and his hair, what little he had left, was dyed the precise same orangy/red color as what was on his vehicle. We stopped and chatted with him and he was quite a character, just havin' fun with the job.

But he didn't quite have that "professional flair".....:blushing:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
should this apply to men drivers and supervisors as well?[/quot

If they can, Ive seen a few.

There are so few things that keep us women separate from men, I dont think hair a little longer if kept out of the way, After all women generally have longer hair than men. . I was once told by a wise older driver, that just because its a mans job, dont forget you are a woman. I dont have a shorty haircut, I wear minimal makeup, and I wear earrings, and perfume. None of my fellow drivers have ever had a problem with it.
If it is, so be it, no one has ever said anything about simple stud earrings either, now are you really jealous?

I guess you could make a big deal of it at your center if you would like to. Let us know how it goes. :laugh:

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
Would supervisors have to walk around with a nascar-like template?

LOL....:lol:

As you know, DHL sports the bright yellow/bright orange red colors on their vehicles. We saw a DHL driver in his truck not too long ago and his hair, what little he had left, was dyed the precise same orangy/red color as what was on his vehicle. We stopped and chatted with him and he was quite a character, just havin' fun with the job.

But he didn't quite have that "professional flair".....:blushing:

So what if I dyed my hair to match my package car?

Cole

Customers don't give a rats butt whether UPS drivers have a beard or not, they want their pkgs timely and in good conditions. Whoever can do that at a reasonable price will get the business regardless of what the driver looks like.

I never heard them complain about the postman with their beards and long hair.

Penguin

Throughout most of human history. Governments and businesses have had all kinds of weird crazy rules and laws about beards.During the Middle Ages, Kings and governments banned men from having beards. It was usually done during periods of time when beards were popular fashion among men. Most men just ignored the laws. Then when the governments mostly gave up trying enforce the laws. Men stopped having beards just because it was out of fashion.

In today’s world, I think most of the people in corporate America and UPS management hate beards because it is in some ways a sign that the men who wear them are more manly. Male managers don't tend to like men that work for them to look like more of an alpha male then they are. Consequently, they choose even everyone out with grooming guidelines. It keeps everyone slightly controlled and well groomed (some people are slobs and need to be given standards).

I wouldn't say the current rules are bad or anything. In fact I think the people who are for and against beards have valid opinions about this. Regardless, It's most important to know what the public and customers would prefer to see. If most of them want clean shaven drivers. We need to give them clean shaven drivers because our image will affect our business. People are shallow and tend to only see and understand whats on the surface of things.