Sick Pay

whenIgetthere

Yeah, they do that here also. I'll shred them at home though. Not that much.

When I sold my mom's house, I had to shred hundreds of pounds of documents. She ran a business out of her home, and she had stuff going back to the 80's. I was glad the city had one of those free shredding days about the time I was purging her records.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When I sold my mom's house, I had to shred hundreds of pounds of documents. She ran a business out of her home, and she had stuff going back to the 80's. I was glad the city had one of those free shredding days about the time I was purging her records.
I've done pretty good regularly dumping papers, except those pay stubs for some reason. I have no idea why. Lol.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
IF they catch it. I changed managers at that time. Someone may have forgotten to put me in for sick time. How far do those stubs go back?

There are certain payroll audit functions that are performed every 90 days, presumably to catch these types of errors. If it's found, your manager will be notified and there are two possible outcomes. The most likely is that they will include a request for repayment and present several repayment options. The other is that they fire you for not reporting it.

59 Dano

Someone mentioned that they reward those with perfect attendance by giving them a little more with the MAPP pay. That might be why I also got 42-43 hours worth of pay on mine.

Gross earned wages for the previous FY / total hours worked = how much you'll be paid for each hour of remaining sick time. Multiply that (or "times it," if you didn't finish HS) by your unused MAP hours.

Post #66 has the more direct calculation.

Last edited:

Oldfart

There are certain payroll audit functions that are performed every 90 days, presumably to catch these types of errors. If it's found, your manager will be notified and there are two possible outcomes. The most likely is that they will include a request for repayment and present several repayment options. The other is that they fire you for not reporting it.
BS. They won't fire you for THEIR mistake. They will present you with repayment options and go from there. I once got someone else BZ money by mistake. I just assumed I got a BZ but my manager told me I wasn't put in for one. I did nothing and waited for them to catch THEIR mistake. They notified me and asked how I wanted to return the money. They had fat fingered an employee number and gave me someone else money.

59 Dano

It's your average hours based on your work week, not including saturdays or your day off.

The official formula is:

(unused sick hours / total hours paid for time worked)*total earnings for time worked

It includes all OT hours and wages. Section 1-7, page 17 of the People Manual.

59 Dano

BS. They won't fire you for THEIR mistake. They will present you with repayment options and go from there.

I never said they WOULD fire you for their mistake. I said they CAN fire you for NOT REPORTING their mistake and keeping money that was paid to you in error.

MAKAVELI

I never said they WOULD fire you for their mistake. I said they CAN fire you for NOT REPORTING their mistake and keeping money that was paid to you in error.
They can fire you for any reason. But they won't fire you for any reason. This company hates to pay unemployment and avoids it like the plague.

Oldfart

Ok. They CAN'T fire you for THEIR mistake. It was either the managers or payrolls mistake. They CAN fire them but unless you went in and doctored the payroll system, you did nothing wrong.

DeliveryException

BS. They won't fire you for THEIR mistake. They will present you with repayment options and go from there. I once got someone else BZ money by mistake. I just assumed I got a BZ but my manager told me I wasn't put in for one. I did nothing and waited for them to catch THEIR mistake. They notified me and asked how I wanted to return the money. They had fat fingered an employee number and gave me someone else money.

I was in a situation similar to this. I stopped being a swing and took a regular route but for months they paid me swing rates. I told management every week that just said it takes time or some such. Fast forward a couple months corporate figures it out and send me a request for all over payment in either a lump sum or like 3 payments. They paid me a small amount extra each week but they want theirs now. I certainly didn't get to pay them out for a few months like they did me.

I guess that won't happen any more since swings are in a different classification and can't bid on regular routes according to a manager here. Maybe if the posting has a waiver attached.

whenIgetthere

I was in a situation similar to this. I stopped being a swing and took a regular route but for months they paid me swing rates. I told management every week that just said it takes time or some such. Fast forward a couple months corporate figures it out and send me a request for all over payment in either a lump sum or like 3 payments. They paid me a small amount extra each week but they want theirs now. I certainly didn't get to pay them out for a few months like they did me.

I guess that won't happen any more since swings are in a different classification and can't bid on regular routes according to a manager here. Maybe if the posting has a waiver attached.

Same thing happened to me.

59 Dano

Ok. They CAN'T fire you for THEIR mistake. It was either the managers or payrolls mistake. They CAN fire them but unless you went in and doctored the payroll system, you did nothing wrong.

And yet I'm looking RIGHT AT THE POLICY and it says exactly what I told you it said.

59 Dano

They should have sent you an email with your repayment options. Usually it's a 25% deduction of your pay per week until the amount is repaid; a greater than 25% deduction (if you want) until the amount is repaid; a lump sum deduction; or payment by cashier's check or money order. You can request an alternative arrangement and they will accept it if it's within reason and there is sufficient reason why the other methods would create a hardship.

Never allow them to deduct anything you owe them from your paycheck. It takes an act of God for them to stop it once you've paid back what you owe, assuming they realize that you've paid it all back. Then you have to go through the hassle of getting back what they took out after you satisfied your debt.

The reason it took so long for them to change your pay is because you're manager dragged his feet changing your status in the system.

Oldfart

And yet I'm looking RIGHT AT THE POLICY and it says exactly what I told you it said.
I was told your manager has to ok the MAP payout with verification of your remaining hours. How can overpayment be the fault of the hourly.

Besides, you can interpret policy any way you want. If an hourly is overpaid due to the fault of his manager and or payroll, the hourly has done nothing to justify termination. If he is to be disciplined, then the manager has to be disciplined as well. I hope you don't spend all your spare time reading policy. That won't leave much time for you be kissing butt. LOL

Star B

White Lightening
here's my four step process on getting paid too much:

1) verbally telling my manager, wait 2 wks
2) writing my manager, wait 2 wks
3) writing my senior, wait 2 wks
4) writing my hr, wait 2 wks

if after all that, they continue to pay incorrectly, I'm sure your states employment department will be more than happy to help you keep what you got. Also, they can't fire you for hiding it because... well, you've got a nice paper trail going all the way to corporate HR.

I think 56 days is fair for someone to fix something. After that, moneys mine. Time to suck up your errors and go after the people that failed. Catch it during the letters... fair enough.

MAKAVELI

They should have sent you an email with your repayment options. Usually it's a 25% deduction of your pay per week until the amount is repaid; a greater than 25% deduction (if you want) until the amount is repaid; a lump sum deduction; or payment by cashier's check or money order. You can request an alternative arrangement and they will accept it if it's within reason and there is sufficient reason why the other methods would create a hardship.

Never allow them to deduct anything you owe them from your paycheck. It takes an act of God for them to stop it once you've paid back what you owe, assuming they realize that you've paid it all back. Then you have to go through the hassle of getting back what they took out after you satisfied your debt.

The reason it took so long for them to change your pay is because you're manager dragged his feet changing your status in the system.
Or you could call their bluff and tell them to go pound sand.

Schweddy

Balls
Dano, we need your name and id so we can report you to hr...they've been paying you far too long. We can't afford to get fired for not reporting you.

59 Dano

I was told your manager has to ok the MAP payout with verification of your remaining hours. How can overpayment be the fault of the hourly.

Besides, you can interpret policy any way you want. If an hourly is overpaid due to the fault of his manager and or payroll, the hourly has done nothing to justify termination. If he is to be disciplined, then the manager has to be disciplined as well. I hope you don't spend all your spare time reading policy. That won't leave much time for you be kissing butt. LOL

Well we can either know what the policy says or rely on the ramblings of a mossback who wouldn't recognize a policy manual if they ground it up and sprinkled it in his Metamucil. Sooooooo... my comments will be based on what's written in black and white and yours will continue to be based on whatever nonsense is bouncing around inside your head at the moment.