Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

barnyard

KTM rider
Buy an external battery pack for your phone, when the battery starts getting low, the external battery pack gives you extra juice to keep it going.

I have a small, USB rechargeable battery that fits in my phone case. I use that if the phone goes dead and I still need to make a call. During the summer, I get a week and a half out of a charge. During the school year, 2 days, if I am lucky.

Overpaid Union Thug

Buy an external battery pack for your phone, when the battery starts getting low, the external battery pack gives you extra juice to keep it going.

I have one in my backpack. I forget the exact mah capacity but it's a beast.
Take the time to read and comprehend what the little sticker says above or below the fuel fill before pumping.

Some of our diesel 700s run better with kerosene. I've had to run routes the day after another unassigned driver accidentally grabbed the kerosene pump instead of the diesel.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am into this setup for $72.99, which is about $72.00 more than I would normally spend on a hack for work. I can justify it on the grounds that it could also be used in my personal vehicle and I will take it with me when I retire.

What I have here is four 40" lengths of 1/4" high-tensile shot-peened chain, four 1/4" clevis hooks, and one 1/4" double clevis.

These serve as "emergency chains" , two for each tire, to get me unstuck. They can be installed simply by running them through the holes in the wheels. They are for emergency temporary use only, to get out of a muddy/icy/snowy spot and onto solid ground where actual tire chains can be installed if needed.
Also, by attaching a double clevis to the end of one of the chains, you can connect all four lengths together to make a 13 foot tow-chain if another vehicle is there to help pull you out. You will need a pair of pliers or a Leatherman to pull the other cotter pin out of the double clevis.

WARNING: make sure to use clevis hooks, not threaded links. If a threaded link gets pulled under the tire and deforms, you wont be able to get it off. Clevis hooks are unlikely to deform and even if they do you can pull the cotter pin out and unhook them from the back. ALSO--dont run the chain thru the hole in the wheel where the valve stem is or you might damage it.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1446757936.299144.jpg

Last edited:

soberups

One more thing; the 40" chain length is for modern, standard package cars P-57 thru P-1200, all of which run identical rims and tires. If you drive a Sprinter or some other oddball or pre-1993 vehicle you may need a different length. The way I measured mine was to just run a piece of string thru the hole in the rim, wrap it around the tire, and cut it at the point where it joined itself. I then added 8" to this length to allow for tire size variations and to ensure adequate slack.

Last edited:

tracker2762

I attached this bungee cord to a hand cart to stop it from falling over and banging against side of pc. It does have a tie down strap on the 4000 shelf but it didn't keep it upright.

Attachments

• hand cart 001.jpg
    hand cart 001.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,167

oldngray

nowhere special
I attached this bungee cord to a hand cart to stop it from falling over and banging against side of pc. It does have a tie down strap on the 4000 shelf but it didn't keep it upright.

Our mechanics drill holes in the edge of the shelf for the bungees to hook into for holding the hand cart.

soberups

There is method of sticking the bungee cord hooks into the bent metal of the shelf corners that works for securing the handcart. I will take a picture and post it on Monday.

wayfair

swollen member
There is method of sticking the bungee cord hooks into the bent metal of the shelf corners that works for securing the handcart. I will take a picture and post it on Monday.

simply ask your mechanic to install a bungee strap to the section 4 shelf

barnyard

KTM rider
simply ask your mechanic to install a bungee strap to the section 4 shelf

Mechanics are starting to gear up for peak and what may seem like a superfluous request may be ignored.

When I covered a route long term, I wrote down items that needed attention, but were not safety related on the flap of the DVIR. When it was in for the PMI, the mechanic would cross off the corrected items and either X the stuff that nothing could be done about or order the stuff to finish the list.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i also keep a calling card in my wallet in case my phone goes dead or am in an out of service area.

you do have to find a pay phone though. but that calling card did save me one night when my water pump failed.