Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by soberups, Oct 21, 2015.

1. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Buy an external battery pack for your phone, when the battery starts getting low, the external battery pack gives you extra juice to keep it going.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. Yup. Recently switched to a rechargeable Bluetooth radio that doubles as a phone charger. One less thing to keep up with.

3. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

I have a small, USB rechargeable battery that fits in my phone case. I use that if the phone goes dead and I still need to make a call. During the summer, I get a week and a half out of a charge. During the school year, 2 days, if I am lucky.

4. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Take the time to read and comprehend what the little sticker says above or below the fuel fill before pumping.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  5. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

I have one in my backpack. I forget the exact mah capacity but it's a beast.
    Some of our diesel 700s run better with kerosene. I've had to run routes the day after another unassigned driver accidentally grabbed the kerosene pump instead of the diesel.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

I am into this setup for $72.99, which is about $72.00 more than I would normally spend on a hack for work. I can justify it on the grounds that it could also be used in my personal vehicle and I will take it with me when I retire.

What I have here is four 40" lengths of 1/4" high-tensile shot-peened chain, four 1/4" clevis hooks, and one 1/4" double clevis.

These serve as "emergency chains" , two for each tire, to get me unstuck. They can be installed simply by running them through the holes in the wheels. They are for emergency temporary use only, to get out of a muddy/icy/snowy spot and onto solid ground where actual tire chains can be installed if needed.
    Also, by attaching a double clevis to the end of one of the chains, you can connect all four lengths together to make a 13 foot tow-chain if another vehicle is there to help pull you out. You will need a pair of pliers or a Leatherman to pull the other cotter pin out of the double clevis.

WARNING: make sure to use clevis hooks, not threaded links. If a threaded link gets pulled under the tire and deforms, you wont be able to get it off. Clevis hooks are unlikely to deform and even if they do you can pull the cotter pin out and unhook them from the back. ALSO--dont run the chain thru the hole in the wheel where the valve stem is or you might damage it.
    ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1446757936.299144.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  7. soberups

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1446757958.642608.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  8. soberups

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1446757979.118785.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  9. soberups

One more thing; the 40" chain length is for modern, standard package cars P-57 thru P-1200, all of which run identical rims and tires. If you drive a Sprinter or some other oddball or pre-1993 vehicle you may need a different length. The way I measured mine was to just run a piece of string thru the hole in the rim, wrap it around the tire, and cut it at the point where it joined itself. I then added 8" to this length to allow for tire size variations and to ensure adequate slack.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  10. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Beware of red diesel. Not harmful, but the company could get busted.

11. tracker2762

tracker2762 Active Member

I attached this bungee cord to a hand cart to stop it from falling over and banging against side of pc. It does have a tie down strap on the 4000 shelf but it didn't keep it upright.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  12. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Our mechanics drill holes in the edge of the shelf for the bungees to hook into for holding the hand cart.

13. soberups

There is method of sticking the bungee cord hooks into the bent metal of the shelf corners that works for securing the handcart. I will take a picture and post it on Monday.

14. barnyard

Keep this on topic please. Off topic comments will be pruned and the author may be thread banned.

Thank you

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  15. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

simply ask your mechanic to install a bungee strap to the section 4 shelf

16. barnyard

Mechanics are starting to gear up for peak and what may seem like a superfluous request may be ignored.

When I covered a route long term, I wrote down items that needed attention, but were not safety related on the flap of the DVIR. When it was in for the PMI, the mechanic would cross off the corrected items and either X the stuff that nothing could be done about or order the stuff to finish the list.

17. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

i also keep a calling card in my wallet in case my phone goes dead or am in an out of service area.

you do have to find a pay phone though. but that calling card did save me one night when my water pump failed.

18. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

I think I can figure it out.

19. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

So ..... looks like someone else is freakish about their mirror settings. LOL

20. Wally

Wally BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

It's all in how one defines the work "hack", no?