Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

Packmule

That, my friend, is some serious dedication. Once upon a time, I would have done the same.

However, I later learned that ECD was my best friend in bad (snowy and icy) conditions.
Use it often! Agree totally! Do all this just to handle the most minimal incline. Even main highways during active storms. Only takes a half an inch of snow and these worthless limited slip rear ends don't cut it. The average p700 weighs 8 tons empty. Probably 6 1/2 tons of that are from the cab forward. Gotta add the weight or stay home. And since they won't let me stay home....

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Use it often! Agree totally! Do all this just to handle the most minimal incline. Even main highways during active storms. Only takes a half an inch of snow and these worthless limited slip rear ends don't cut it. The average p700 weighs 8 tons empty. Probably 6 1/2 tons of that are from the cab forward. Gotta add the weight or stay home. And since they won't let me stay home....

Three quarters of my last route was on the other side of a 2000' ridge. Four steep, twisty miles to get to it. If it was the least bit slick, I could make it as long as nobody slowed me down by getting stuck or sliding off the road.

I could drive 35 miles around and come in the other end of the valley, but when I would call and inform management, they would usually tell me just to EC everything.

WAD!!

QualityLoads

In the newer package cars theres a spot above hand brake where i can put a 1 gallon coleman water jug. The jug stays in place as if it were designed for that purpose.

k2-_3928af50-5ee7-431f-bcdc-135501d1e702.v3.jpg

T

Turdferguson

I took a roll of the non slip tape and cut a monogram in the middle of the cab floor with a diamond outline around the initial. It was sweet only took two days to make

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If getting stuck is a possibility, then a tow strap or rope can be a life saver. All I ever have to do if I get stuck is to attach my tow strap to the bumper and stand there. The first person who passes by in a truck or a 4x4 or a tractor will stop and pull me out. Especially if his girlfriend is with him to take pics!

neiko

During winter I always carry long ice scrapper brush . The wipers on the new trucks are so short . U cant really see anything at all in those slushy icy snow days ,

clean hairy

What would you plug the 12 volt compressor into------don't tell me the trucks actually have a 12 volt cigarette lighter type receptacle in them now days. Personally I've never had much luck with that Fix-a-Flat crap. It might not work the best when its 20 below.
Cut off the 12v connector,splice clips onto the wires, connect direct to the battery.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If getting stuck is a possibility, then a tow strap or rope can be a life saver. All I ever have to do if I get stuck is to attach my tow strap to the bumper and stand there. The first person who passes by in a truck or a 4x4 or a tractor will stop and pull me out. Especially if his girlfriend is with him to take pics!
some us carry a small bag of "quick chains". it is a small section about 18 inches long that drapes over the tire and hooks together thru the holes in the wheel. it has small spikes that will get you unstuck in snow . you dont keep them on. used to get you unstuck and then take off. takes about 2 minutes to put on. real lifesaver when you are in the middle of nowhere.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you own a smart phone, an Otter Box Defender or comparable case is a wise investment. If it has a clip on the back, you can firmly attach it to the sun visor or the metal lip above the windshield using a bankers clasp. This can give you a "poor mans heads-up GPS" if you are using the Goole Maps app.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445532120.079439.jpg

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
A 'hack' is a worn out horse or someone relegated to routine work.

My tip is to keep a "signature stop" list especially if you are a swing driver. I used blank address correction labels. It's for identifying and properly servicing the female of the species.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
penlight, 6 in 1 screwdriver, bungees, tape, swiss army knife, wood matches in protective can, trail mix, extra drinking water ,overnight bag with toiletries bag, small precision tool set, blanket, spare cash and coins, little notebook for phone numbers and such, spare socks, first aid kit and medicines, whistle, map , book or magazine to read in case of breakdown or layover, spare batteries, any tool that can work for minor repairs. bag of trailer lights, airline hose with accessories (saved many a road call.)

i carried all this stuff ( and more ) in feeder as my meet points were 240 miles one way usually in the middle of nowhere.

CoolArrow

I'd like to start a thread to share simple "hacks" that could make things easier for drivers. Here are a few that I have come up with during my 28 year career.

This is the "zip tie Mag Light holder." All you need is a zip tie and a Phillips head screwdriver to solve the problem of keeping your flashlight handy. The location may vary according to the model of truck you drive but the idea is the same.
View attachment 57836

Great thread very helpful.

Nike

I second carrying a mag light. Can be used as a weopon against dogs and crazy people
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445538164.065791.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App