Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by soberups, Oct 21, 2015.

1. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Yes I am freakish. I back more than any other driver on my center, 70-80 times a day or more. My mirrors also get beat up by tree limbs and over time will work themselves loose. Re-tightening and adjusting them is something I do on a regular basis. Its also a goid idea to have a wrench if you are a cover driver who drives s different car every day, getting your mirrors the way you want them is a big safety issue.

2. soberups

Filling out delivery notices can be a real hassle when it is dark, raining, and you are trying to dig them out of a shirt pocket while wearing winter clothes and gloves.

If you encounter delays during your work day, a good use of that time is to go through your load and stick delivery notices onto any packages that are likely to need them. Its a lot easier to peel them off the pad ahead of time and write on them in the back of the truck, in the light and out of the wind and rain.
    When you get to the stop, if it winds up being a send again you can just peel the note off of the package and stick it to the door without fumbling around with your pen and a flashlight. If its not a send again, the customer can keep it as a souvenier.

3. soberups

Most of them are temporary and could be easily and quickly transferred from one truck into another. I keep all my zip ties, bungee cords etc. in a mechanics tool bag with a wire-reinforced opening. And I never leave home without my Leatherman multi-tool on my belt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

Just out a tote infront of it

you waaaay over thought that one

5. Shifting Contents

Get a battery pack for your phone
    When it dies use it to recharge it

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Shifting Contents

Put a rubber band on your DR bag spindle so it doesn't get pulled into the keyless pogostick.

7. Shifting Contents

Use a bungee cord to put paper towels in the cab!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  8. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Already gave that one, but it's good to hear it from a driver so maybe other drivers will listen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Shifting Contents

You can only turn on the Diad by pushing the scan button

Don't waste your time looking for the "any key"

10. Shifting Contents

You can use a Diad clip

Or

A pouch

They're both a valid option

11. Coldworld

Coldworld Bad mall cop...no donut!!!

The back pocket... I prefer it the best... If you wear the pouch it seems to interfere with the seat belt.. Ymmv

12. Browntown2014

Browntown2014 Active Member

On diad V if you hit the light bulb soft screen button that is right next to the flashlight button it will illuminate the regular buttons so that you can see them in the dark.

13. hyena

hyena Well-Known Member

Are you a Teamster or Machinist?

14. Holydriver

Holydriver Active Member

That looks like a good route

15. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

I have to try this. I hate getting shocked

16. Bottom rung

Bottom rung Active Member

Get yourself a clamp. Also useful for smalls bags.

Attached Files:

17. Coldworld

Coldworld Bad mall cop...no donut!!!

101 ways to store the hand truck in a package car... Who would have known???

18. TheMasochist

TheMasochist 200 lbs? No problem - it's only my back

How about a headlamp instead of a flashlight for use outside of the PC when walking (or dare I say "walking") to your stop? It will fit over either the ball-cap or the beanie-cap. One less thing to carry and the light is always where you need it!

19. Nevermore1

Nevermore1 Member

Seeing all the posts about cell phones reminded me of what my husband finally did with his when he did delivery. He had to change the screensaver to a "call ###-#### if found", twice it fell out of his pocket during stops and was found in someones yard. One time the owner of the house heard his phone ringing when I tried to call him and the other they guesed it belonged to either the UPS guy or mailman and were nice enough to track my husband down to give it back to him. After the second time he put my # on the screensaver in case he lost it again.

20. Shifting Contents

Because flashlights ruin yor night vision and the Diad screen is brite enough to illuminate walk paths

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List