Sleep apnea

quad decade guy

I got diagnosed with sleep apnea about five years ago and have been on a C-PAP machine ever since. You do have to wear it if you want a DOT Card. The custom mouth appliances or the new implant are not recognized by the DOT as treatments. You need to schedule appointments with a Pulmonary Doctor early around here, they are hard to see. You need to carry the memory card from the C-PAP to him so he can read it and write a compliance letter showing use before renewing your DOT card.
I have sleep apnea.
How it works is, when I go in for my DOT physical, I bring a readout from my CPAP machine to prove that I have been using it. Some of the machines have a SIM card you can bring, for others (like mine) you call your medical provider and they mail you a printout.
If you think you have apnea, and your DOT card expires soon, I would wait to get diagnosed until after you get your card renewed, that will give you plenty of time to get used to your CPAP machine before your next physical.

All good advice. Look into UPDATED machines. Mine has wi-fi and Bluetooth. I just hit send and all my info goes straight to my Dr. He can then make adjustments from his office. He can email the report or send it to your DOT DR. Much easier and faster. I applaud you guys for embracing the therapy. Could make you healthier and save your life. Bravo.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Can you buy a Cpap machine without a doctors order? If you started using one and felt better, what's the difference?

quad decade guy

We've had guys do the hime sleep apnea tests. You could sleep with a mouthpiece in while taking that exam at home, they wouldn't know.

So, you would do this to "hide" the results? Why would you want to do this? You would still have a life threatening condition. Am I hearing you correctly? With all respect. BTW, home sleep studies have been a Godsend. If you ever went through the facility overnight, you will be quite grateful. Since I was an overnight feeder driver, it was quite difficult to find a "day" sleep facility as it didn't make sense to sleep at night as I never do.

I have a feeder friend that is a life long, heavy, dedicated smoker. Clearly has COPD. Coughs frequently as we talk overnight on the phone. Sounds just like my 80 yo Mom. Yet, he's 20 years younger. Lies every DOT physical..."No I don't snore....". Every wife(s), girlfriend(s) complains about his snoring. He knows it. But just like smoking, won't give it up. He's deathly afraid of going out in a Covid public with the diminished lung capacity. Knows it. Yet, avoids any sort of treatment. Afraid of the yearly DOT card restriction. Afraid of getting help.

My CPAP worked just fine in a sleeper. Plugged right in and carried on. I feel and function so much better. It allowed me to get solid, restful sleep. Do not be afraid.

quad decade guy

Can you buy a Cpap machine without a doctors order? If you started using one and felt better, what's the difference?

First, you have to understand that this is a treatment/therapy. Just like dosages of medicine. Not willy nilly. Stroke and heart attack stuff. I'm sure you could buy CPAP's on Craigslist. But why in the world would you want to ? With all respect, with our insurance....go see the Dr.

I used to get very sleepy overnight. Dangerous nodding off stuff. Could doze off ANYTIME ANYWHERE. Always tired. Wake up at weird times of the day and night(weekends). Never dreaming(dreaming is very important to your health). You know your body. Know how you feel. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I rarely get colds or flu any more. I use my CPAP ANYTIME I sleep-overnight or napping. Always. Don't leave home without it.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
If you do the sleep study before a DOT medical examiner tells you to. Then you'll be fine. It will also allow you to get used to the Cpap and find out what face cover works for you.

If you wait till a DOT ME tells you to take a sleep study you maybe be out of work until you're in compliance.

They will give you a 90 dot card and in those 90 days you have to set up a appointment and then take a sleep study. Then when you get the machine you'll have to be on it for 30days showing regular usage (I believe 70%) before they will give you a new card.

Issue is in some areas it takes a month or so to get a appointment and then you could run out of your 90day extension if you don't get the Cpap in time or if you can't get used to it. You only get one extension also.
Best advice I have seen. We have two drivers in our center who have each had heart attacks long ago. One has been driving for over 30 years, one for over 20. Went to get a DOT physical (one right after the other). Their blood pressure was a little elevated and she failed them both. Ordered to get sleep study, stress tests, etc. UPS denied their 90 day extension. One is working preload, the other local sort while they go through all the testing, etc. These things can take weeks.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
So, you would do this to "hide" the results? Why would you want to do this? You would still have a life threatening condition. Am I hearing you correctly? With all respect. BTW, home sleep studies have been a Godsend. If you ever went through the facility overnight, you will be quite grateful. Since I was an overnight feeder driver, it was quite difficult to find a "day" sleep facility as it didn't make sense to sleep at night as I never do.

I have a feeder friend that is a life long, heavy, dedicated smoker. Clearly has COPD. Coughs frequently as we talk overnight on the phone. Sounds just like my 80 yo Mom. Yet, he's 20 years younger. Lies every DOT physical..."No I don't snore....". Every wife(s), girlfriend(s) complains about his snoring. He knows it. But just like smoking, won't give it up. He's deathly afraid of going out in a Covid public with the diminished lung capacity. Knows it. Yet, avoids any sort of treatment. Afraid of the yearly DOT card restriction. Afraid of getting help.

My CPAP worked just fine in a sleeper. Plugged right in and carried on. I feel and function so much better. It allowed me to get solid, restful sleep. Do not be afraid.

My point was that if you can wear a mouthpiece and pass a home sleep study then do it. I wasn't sure if a wearing amouthpiece is an acceptable treatment option.

I'm not say to wear a mouthpiece, pass the test and then throw away the mouthpiece.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Nope, my Pulminary Doctor writes a prescription for it, insurance pays for it. You need a certain air pressure for them to work correctly. You can buy supplies for it online, but our insurance pays most of that. The mouthpiece, tubing, and filters need to be replaced on a regular basis and you use distilled water in them to keep your airways from drying out. They have a memory card installed to prove that you are using them. Your doctor has to write a compliance letter stating you are using it after he downloads the data. They go back three months before your DOT exam.

Wally

I’ve got one got about 10 hours on it what a ya give for it
I don't need it, thank goodness. How does anybody sleep with those things on their head?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I don't need it, thank goodness. How does anybody sleep with those things on their head?

I couldn’t
Wore it for 3 nights with 3 different headgear never did go to sleep

HedleyLamarr

We have a courier at my station who lost his DOT permit over this. He was diagnosed with SA several years ago, but won't wear a CPap as he says it is too uncomfortable. When he went to get his DOT renewed, he checked the SA box since he has officially been diagnosed with it. A week later, he was contacted and told he had to hand in 6 weeks worth of Cpap info. He didn't have it, so he is now stuck in a Sprinter. Express btw.

MassWineGuy

I suffer from sleep apnea. But there is positively no way that I could get used to wearing a cpap. I’m looking into seeing a dentist who specializes in this and maybe trying a mouth device.

quad decade guy

My point was that if you can wear a mouthpiece and pass a home sleep study then do it. I wasn't sure if a wearing amouthpiece is an acceptable treatment option.

I'm not say to wear a mouthpiece, pass the test and then throw away the mouthpiece.

Ok.

You do realize that the treatment for sleep apnea can/is complicated and requires monitoring etc. Just getting past the DOT isn't the point. BTW, how would you know if the mouthpiece is effective etc? With all respect. You would be taking a massive risk...with your life.

Wally

Ok.

You do realize that the treatment for sleep apnea can/is complicated and requires monitoring etc. Just getting past the DOT isn't the point. BTW, how would you know if the mouthpiece is effective etc? With all respect. You would be taking a massive risk...with your life.
If you feel wide awake and alert during the day, pretty sure the piece is working.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not

Buying one would be so crazy cheaper. My machine is about $600. God knows how many times over insurance has paid for it just in a couple years.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You couldn’t “hide” anything unless the device works.