Sleeper Perspective

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
God I hate local. My run is 3 hours one way, that's about the limit for me for time in the seat.
A lot of guys here hate it. They don’t like being in the yard around “the man” so they’d rather get their load and hit the road.

Yeet

Railyards are a butt whooping to me. So are cpu's(pkg car in a feeder), traffic and why are you late

and hurry! I like my one ta turn and done. I'd probably quit if I went back to cpu. That is easy

to me. Less stops, less bs. Around here, most day jobs are cpu unless you are a top hand.
Some CPU’s are a pain (tiny yards) but most get easy once you’ve been once or twice. They eat up a lot of time too. Same with the railyards. I’ve sat there for 3 hours on more than one occasion waiting for my trailer to hit the ground. Better than staring at the highway for 3+ hours at a time in my opinion.

over9five

Staff member
I have heard of several long time teams that have been killed. High senior folks. How can you be sure? You cannot. And You just described most of us.
Most of us aren't driving while you're sleeping in the back. All I'm saying is choose wisely.
You don't want to be the one who can no longer contribute financially to your family, who can no longer give physical love to your wife, who is now sooo dependent on others... All while your sleepy co-driver continues to work at UPS.
Better to rely on yourself than go to sleep uncertain of how or if you'll wake up.

Wow, sorry! I'm a depressing sob!
This is all @over9five's humble opinion.

Yeet

A few. I don’t..... I don’t want to talk about it. :ignored:

Last edited by a moderator:

quad decade guy

Most of us aren't driving while you're sleeping in the back. All I'm saying is choose wisely.
You don't want to be the one who can no longer contribute financially to your family, who can no longer give physical love to your wife, who is now sooo dependent on others... All while your sleepy co-driver continues to work at UPS.
Better to rely on yourself than go to sleep uncertain of how or if you'll wake up.

Wow, sorry! I'm a depressing sob!
This is all @over9five's humble opinion.

The other side of that coin is dodging wrong way drunk drivers on the highway. But your point is

taken. I've seen drivers killed on the yard by shifters....What is "safe"?

quad decade guy

Some CPU’s are a pain (tiny yards) but most get easy once you’ve been once or twice. They eat up a lot of time too. Same with the railyards. I’ve sat there for 3 hours on more than one occasion waiting for my trailer to hit the ground. Better than staring at the highway for 3+ hours at a time in my opinion.

All true. I waited 5 hours once. One drop and swap per day is like free money. And $150k...

But hey chocolate or vanilla, it's all cool.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just completed a week long sleeper run(first ever for me) in 15 years of feeder.

My thoughts: Like sleeping in a covered wagon. Like riding in a covered wagon.

Loud. Vibration. Bumps big enough to raise you off the bed...Pretty awful.

A five day 24hr. commitment. Enough pay? No. Feeder hours(working overnight)

are hard enough. Sleeper sucks. Sleepers have always intrigued me. Not anymore.

Truckers at truck stops have always looked like greasy zombies. I know why now.

I have been told a good co-driver makes it all worthwhile. I personally call bs.

And yes I know some self-proclaimed drivers have attained Godlike status.

That doesn't make the pot holed roads of New Jersey any better. So, what am I

missing? I'd like to get perspective of veteran or new sleeper folks. Is the extra money

worth it to you? The way I figured it, I worked 120 hours(24x5) and lost most of my Sat.

Help me out.
You use earplugs while sleeping?

Staydryitsraining

Just completed a week long sleeper run(first ever for me) in 15 years of feeder.

My thoughts: Like sleeping in a covered wagon. Like riding in a covered wagon.

Loud. Vibration. Bumps big enough to raise you off the bed...Pretty awful.

A five day 24hr. commitment. Enough pay? No. Feeder hours(working overnight)

are hard enough. Sleeper sucks. Sleepers have always intrigued me. Not anymore.

Truckers at truck stops have always looked like greasy zombies. I know why now.

I have been told a good co-driver makes it all worthwhile. I personally call bs.

And yes I know some self-proclaimed drivers have attained Godlike status.

That doesn't make the pot holed roads of New Jersey any better. So, what am I

missing? I'd like to get perspective of veteran or new sleeper folks. Is the extra money

worth it to you? The way I figured it, I worked 120 hours(24x5) and lost most of my Sat.

Help me out.
Our building is supposed to get a bunch of teams. I'm thinking about signing the list. For some reason alot of people here arent into going to feeders.

I did a sleeper run back in 1999 when it first came out in SoCal. It was thur start at 10 pm and finished sunday at 4 pm. Home in time for dinner with the family and pretty much 4 days off till thur night. After that year senior drivers took notice of the run and I never had a chance at it again. If that was available to me again I would have taken it every year.

Mobile29

I’ve got a sleeper run to CACHE, starts Monday back Thursday night. 72 hours away from home. 96!hours at home. Best job ever. Oh yeah I make $2100 a week, I love it.