Slowly but surely

Days

Maybe, but what you don't have in this article are all the times the technology saved lives because the people on the flight simply arrived at their destination none the wiser.

People keep assuming tech will have to be perfect. I would like it to be, and that's the goal because all deaths are tragic, but the goalpost isn't perfection, it's just "better than people".

Next thing someone will do is bring up a guy like Sully who landed the Airbus on the Hudson River, but, every person is not as good as he was either. A lot of people suck.

For instance, the Continental (now United) crash in Buffalo occurred because the pilot repeatedly DISREGARDED the tech, which was BEGGING him to lower altitude and pick up air speed and he kept overriding it because he was so focused on chatting up the female copilot.

So better than most drivers but worse than really good drivers so that it averages out to less accidents

Indecisi0n

Maybe, but what you don't have in this article are all the times the technology saved lives because the people on the flight simply arrived at their destination none the wiser.

People keep assuming tech will have to be perfect. I would like it to be, and that's the goal because all deaths are tragic, but the goalpost isn't perfection, it's just "better than people".

Next thing someone will do is bring up a guy like Sully who landed the Airbus on the Hudson River, but, every person is not as good as he was either. A lot of people suck.

For instance, the Continental (now United) crash in Buffalo occurred because the pilot repeatedly DISREGARDED the tech, which was BEGGING him to lower altitude and pick up air speed and he kept overriding it because he was so focused on chatting up the female copilot.
So let's settle for mediocre pilots and try and come up with a solution because properly training people would be too much to ask . I'd take a well trained human with years of experience over a computer any day of the week .

Days

So let's settle for mediocre pilots and try and come up with a solution because properly training people would be too much to ask . I'd take a well trained human with years of experience over a computer any day of the week .

You can’t really choose your pilot though tbh.

What if in the future, you had the choice between a robot pilot or a well trained human pilot but the human pilot was 50$ more expensive per seat and was more likely to get in a crash.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I’ll take the computer. Computers don’t get tired. They have no emotions.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Put the self driving car hoopla to the test!
Put 40 of these cars on the track at Bristol, with instructions to each to come in 1st.
Be interesting to see what happens when an engine goes and spews oil all over the track.
Self driving cars would know when to pit and when the it is time to leave the pit?
They would not run into each other on the track? They are programmed to avoid accidents, right?

Working on it.

Global championship of driverless cars

Indecisi0n

Because no pilots ever had problems either.
It's funny you mentioned that because if you read the article the computer made the wrong correction in this case. The human pilot went ahead and fixed the computers error only to have the computer go back and over ride what the human did . That's what's killed all those people.

No system is perfect but there are times where you don't want black and white decisions .

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They are literally already self driving without any of this.
Yes , in Phoenix.... now read up on how people in regular cars are reacting to these autonomous vehicles, it’s not pretty. The “drivers” in these autonomous cars have had to call the police many many times.... on all sort of things... cars trying to get robot cars to slam into them... yelling at driver in robot cars.... following robot cars, tailgating robot cars.... sounds like it’s pretty bad.... now imagine if there’s no person inside a robot car.... people would slash tires, brake windows..... etc etc... look at what’s going on with these scooter companies.... they are finding these scooters in trees, in rivers, vandalized, people catching them on fire....and these aren’t even an autonomous vehicle.....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I’ll take the computer. Computers don’t get tired. They have no emotions.
That’s why John here has his robot wife Jessica ..... no emotions and don’t get tired.. check and check!!
07855855-746A-4EA9-A2EC-8EE1BF812610.jpeg