Smartpost offered to us contractors at lesser rate

12yearsaslave

You guys are not seeing the big picture. Amazon only takes pckgs under 50 lbs. They have 120 DCHs in the US right now. They want 2000 by 2020. If FedEx doesn't do anything right now, we will become a furniture delivery company with a bit of alcohol/hazmat. I think it's about survival right now, not about 10c on a package. As soon as Amazon comes into an area, we can't hire anyone for :censored2:...

bacha29

You guys are not seeing the big picture. Amazon only takes pckgs under 50 lbs. They have 120 DCHs in the US right now. They want 2000 by 2020. If FedEx doesn't do anything right now, we will become a furniture delivery company with a bit of alcohol/hazmat. I think it's about survival right now, not about 10c on a package. As soon as Amazon comes into an area, we can't hire anyone for :censored2:...
Might be a good idea if you ground guys were to take the time to read the Q4 operating results released yesterday along with the transcript of management's comments. A brief summary . Ground's revenues were up 9% year over year. Net operating margin now 15% back in line with historical norms. Volume expected to level off in the days ahead but margins expected to stabilize or grow due to the fact that the big "packages" yeah right well, there's are whole lot more of that coming your way. XFreight is taking a little bit of it and are buying 24 footers with hydraulic tail gates to handle it because more is going directly to the house but much more likely that for Ground it will mean more overloaded step vans. Panel vans and cutaways will quickly disappear . Judging by the hints they are dropping they seem to want to have ISP conversion and G/HD consolidation all done by 2020 .What this seems headed toward are ISP's also having to do setup and installation sometime in the future. And yes, X is currently in discussions with the Trump administration regarding X having a major if not dominant role in the privatization of the ATC network as was made clear in the transcripts and confirmed this morning by CNBC. How "silly" does it seem to you guys now?

bbsam

Staff member
Might be a good idea if you ground guys were to take the time to read the Q4 operating results released yesterday along with the transcript of management's comments. A brief summary . Ground's revenues were up 9% year over year. Net operating margin now 15% back in line with historical norms. Volume expected to level off in the days ahead but margins expected to stabilize or grow due to the fact that the big "packages" yeah right well, there's are whole lot more of that coming your way. XFreight is taking a little bit of it and are buying 24 footers with hydraulic tail gates to handle it because more is going directly to the house but much more likely that for Ground it will mean more overloaded step vans. Panel vans and cutaways will quickly disappear . Judging by the hints they are dropping they seem to want to have ISP conversion and G/HD consolidation all done by 2020 .What this seems headed toward are ISP's also having to do setup and installation sometime in the future. And yes, X is currently in discussions with the Trump administration regarding X having a major if not dominant role in the privatization of the ATC network as was made clear in the transcripts and confirmed this morning by CNBC. How "silly" does it seem to you guys now?
Very silly.

bacha29

I've revised my assessment:
Very, very silly.
Calling this matter silly proves conclusively that the executives at X possess a certain talent that you obviously lack. It's called vision. They have their fingers on the pulse of the industry and try to stay one step ahead of the competition. When they state for the record that they are actively involved in the movement toward the privatization of the ATC network they are in fact involved. Just how far these discussions have progressed or what the outcome will be is something that will be determined with the passing of time.

bbsam

Staff member
Calling this matter silly proves conclusively that the executives at X possess a certain talent that you obviously lack. It's called vision. They have their fingers on the pulse of the industry and try to stay one step ahead of the competition. When they state for the record that they are actively involved in the movement toward the privatization of the ATC network they are in fact involved. Just how far these discussions have progressed or what the outcome will be is something that will be determined with the passing of time.
bacha, you are on the sidelines of an industry that you once worked in. Your "day one" status is so far removed from today and yet you continue to think it give you some kind of Vision into Memphis and Pittsburgh. It doesn't. The financials you read, the statements made by Smith, what do you really think it all means. People will either contract or not based on their own experiences and ideas. And what if you're right? What about all the "downward pressure on contractor profit"? So what? Are you saying this multi-national billion dollar company isn't concerned with me making millions and will see that as profit they should keep? Well, duh. Show me a corporation that doesn't look to screw the workers. But guess what? Trump won. Your fellow Americans don't give a crap about X unless they get or don't get the widgets they ordered. Trump screwed contractors as a regular practice. Guess what? Nobody cared.

What it comes down to is this is what Americans seem to want or are at least ok with. I worked almost 3 hours today and made very good money. Do I care about the long term employment of my drivers? I guess. Don't really see them retiring from this job but hey, that's what we are; a cog in the machine. You got out. Good for you, I guess. Me? I'll ride it out til I can't anymore...just like everyone else.

bacha29

bacha, you are on the sidelines of an industry that you once worked in. Your "day one" status is so far removed from today and yet you continue to think it give you some kind of Vision into Memphis and Pittsburgh. It doesn't. The financials you read, the statements made by Smith, what do you really think it all means. People will either contract or not based on their own experiences and ideas. And what if you're right? What about all the "downward pressure on contractor profit"? So what? Are you saying this multi-national billion dollar company isn't concerned with me making millions and will see that as profit they should keep? Well, duh. Show me a corporation that doesn't look to screw the workers. But guess what? Trump won. Your fellow Americans don't give a crap about X unless they get or don't get the widgets they ordered. Trump screwed contractors as a regular practice. Guess what? Nobody cared.

What it comes down to is this is what Americans seem to want or are at least ok with. I worked almost 3 hours today and made very good money. Do I care about the long term employment of my drivers? I guess. Don't really see them retiring from this job but hey, that's what we are; a cog in the machine. You got out. Good for you, I guess. Me? I'll ride it out til I can't anymore...just like everyone else.
The question is how will these measures impact that person who goes out there everyday and perform the tasks that creates revenues for that company? Their ability to influence these industry changes is obviously near zero. At the same time the worst thing that average man or woman in that truck can do for themselves is not to pay any attention to what is happening around them and it's potential to impact them in a negative manner until it's too late . But, you are correct. They simply don't care until it does impact them and it's often not good from their perspective. Knowledge is a powerful weapon but given that and you are correct they simply don't care there is no point in me continuing to spend hours digging through press releases, operating data. SEC filings, forward looking guidance etc in a effort to pass along to people I don't even know information that might help them to make decisions that could potentially improve the quality of their lives when it's information that no longer serves my own interests.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The question is how will these measures impact that person who goes out there everyday and perform the tasks that creates revenues for that company? Their ability to influence these industry changes is obviously near zero. At the same time the worst thing that average man or woman in that truck can do for themselves is not to pay any attention to what is happening around them and it's potential to impact them in a negative manner until it's too late . But, you are correct. They simply don't care until it does impact them and it's often not good from their perspective. Knowledge is a powerful weapon but given that and you are correct they simply don't care there is no point in me continuing to spend hours digging through press releases, operating data. SEC filings, forward looking guidance etc in a effort to pass along to people I don't even know information that might help them to make decisions that could potentially improve the quality of their lives when it's information that no longer serves my own interests.
Can you say that out loud in only one breath?

'Cause that's the minds-eye impression I get reading it.

overflowed

One of the most sensible posts from your ass ever.

dmac1

Even if his post may be nonsense, the fact that Bacha is 'on the sidelines' doesn't mean he can't follow the industry. You don't need to be delivering boxes to follow the shipping industry. Insults just make your posts less meaningful.

bbsam

Staff member
Even if his post may be nonsense, the fact that Bacha is 'on the sidelines' doesn't mean he can't follow the industry. You don't need to be delivering boxes to follow the shipping industry. Insults just make your posts less meaningful.
If facts are insulting...we'll it is what it is.

NYCFXG

I am not signing the smart post deal. I am also getting the eff out of this business. I am just one of many heading for the hills. I barely recognize the company I started with. I can't imagine what the guys from the RPS days must think. Contractors that bought in 04 and 05 still tell stories of the money they were making. I can't say the same. Now all you hear about is getting by and suffering. Pretty crazy to have this much money invested into something and have it produce so little. Forget the smart post. Let someone else do it.