Smartpost offered to us contractors at lesser rate

bacha29

I am not signing the smart post deal. I am also getting the eff out of this business. I am just one of many heading for the hills. I barely recognize the company I started with. I can't imagine what the guys from the RPS days must think. Contractors that bought in 04 and 05 still tell stories of the money they were making. I can't say the same. Now all you hear about is getting by and suffering. Pretty crazy to have this much money invested into something and have it produce so little. Forget the smart post. Let someone else do it.
Important points indeed, The RPS model was designed to handle business to business boxes that didn't justify using a tractor trailer or locations it couldn't get back into.
It wasn't a perfect model but given the limited investment it wasn't too bad. In fact Roadway actually tried to get us back a few years after it was sold. When Fat Freddy got a hold of it one of the first things to go was the distinction between contractor and employee .The only remaining difference was that migrant farm workers had greater rights under the law than a contractor. As for the profitable years you mentioned X had to throw more money out there than they would have liked in an effort to stem the turnover. One of the many benefits of the ISP transition X will realize going forward will be the tougher terms it will be able "negotiate" with the significantly reduced number of contractors while still requiring them to commit even more capital with it's fate and returns still under the complete control of X. Furthermore the nearly three quarters of a billion dollars it has to pay out to settle the majority of class actions remaining will be recovered rest assured and it will most likely come right off the contractors who remain. Obviously the Smart Post offer is an experiment to see in terms of pay rate how low you'll go which X will no doubt use to it's benefit in future negotiations.

12yearsaslave

I am not signing the smart post deal. I am also getting the eff out of this business. I am just one of many heading for the hills. I barely recognize the company I started with. I can't imagine what the guys from the RPS days must think. Contractors that bought in 04 and 05 still tell stories of the money they were making. I can't say the same. Now all you hear about is getting by and suffering. Pretty crazy to have this much money invested into something and have it produce so little. Forget the smart post. Let someone else do it.
Holy crap if only I had a chance to start in 04/05...
If it was still the same company from those times you would still deliver 40 stops on 200 miles. Business changed. About time you realized that...

I guess it's similar to how Trump sold people on the whole coal idea... some things are just never gonna be the same.

bacha29

Holy crap if only I had a chance to start in 04/05...
If it was still the same company from those times you would still deliver 40 stops on 200 miles. Business changed. About time you realized that...

I guess it's similar to how Trump sold people on the whole coal idea... some things are just never gonna be the same.
An very good comparison. At the beginning of this century 53% of US generated electricity used coal as a fuel source. Today it's 30 % and falling fast. Likewise in the world of today it's not longer a matter of speaking the truth but rather what you can get people to believe and get away with it .

vantexan

An very good comparison. At the beginning of this century 53% of US generated electricity used coal as a fuel source. Today it's 30 % and falling fast. Likewise in the world of today it's not longer a matter of speaking the truth but rather what you can get people to believe and get away with it .
Then look at facts. There's a limited supply of natural gas out there. Plenty for our lifetime, but will most likely will have run out in 100 years at present consumption. And yet by 2100 our population will be over 500,000,000 if current immigration rates continue. Consumption will go up. Some estimates for natural gas say gone in 21 years. At some point recoverable natural gas will cease, and it's price will certainly go up as supply dwindles. For all the rancor over coal if natural gas runs out coal will be used unless or until a better source of energy is found. Which most likely will be nuclear if people don't want to burn coal.

bbsam

Staff member
Then look at facts. There's a limited supply of natural gas out there. Plenty for our lifetime, but will most likely will have run out in 100 years at present consumption. And yet by 2100 our population will be over 500,000,000 if current immigration rates continue. Consumption will go up. Some estimates for natural gas say gone in 21 years. At some point recoverable natural gas will cease, and it's price will certainly go up as supply dwindles. For all the rancor over coal if natural gas runs out coal will be used unless or until a better source of energy is found. Which most likely will be nuclear if people don't want to burn coal.
I'd say it'll be nuclear.

Then again, they said we'd run out of oil by 2010. The idea that we'll run out of any suitable power supply seems like propaganda to me.

bacha29

In 2007 uranium was selling for $140 per pound. Now it's going for $25. That is how huge the supply of uranium currently is and most optimistic near term price projections only call for $49. The Germans are saying that they expect nuclear fission technology will be commercially viable by 2055. In the meantime nat gas that once went for $10 a thousand just a few years ago now goes for less than 3 and projections call for 1 billion cubic feet of new gas per day to come onto the market next year with traders talking about prices in the low $2 leaving utilities and the grids grinning like possums. Yes there will continue to be some coal mining done digging out metallurgical coal but in my locale there are few if any new strip mine permit applications being filed because like many other areas in coal country the easiest stripping is long gone.

vantexan

I'd say it'll be nuclear.

Then again, they said we'd run out of oil by 2010. The idea that we'll run out of any suitable power supply seems like propaganda to me.
Fracking certainly increased oil supply but it's still a finite resource that won't last forever.

vantexan

In 2007 uranium was selling for $140 per pound. Now it's going for $25. That is how huge the supply of uranium currently is and most optimistic near term price projections only call for $49. The Germans are saying that they expect nuclear fission technology will be commercially viable by 2055. In the meantime nat gas that once went for $10 a thousand just a few years ago now goes for less than 3 and projections call for 1 billion cubic feet of new gas per day to come onto the market next year with traders talking about prices in the low $2 leaving utilities and the grids grinning like possums. Yes there will continue to be some coal mining done digging out metallurgical coal but in my locale there are few if any new strip mine permit applications being filed because like many other areas in coal country the easiest stripping is long gone.
But you're talking about immediate supply, not long term. Recoverable gas will run out at some point. And is there large scale supply of uranium or has demand dropped? When was the last nuclear power plant built in the U.S.? Environmentalists hate them. I certainly think we need them but some groups start filing lawsuits at the hint of one. It may be 500 years from now FAIK but at some point with population pressures and alternatives no longer viable they may have no choice but to use coal again.

vantexan

Arctic, Antarctic, technological advancement...maybe not forever but maybe long enough that nobody will care when it finally dries up.
With the world's population rapidly growing and more and more cars, planes, ships, etc it will come to an end some day. And if a viable alternative doesn't come along plenty will care.

bbsam

Staff member
Sure. Talk to the environmentalists. All for it and we'd be at or near self sufficiency with a cleaner environment if we'd been building them all along.
The French have been using it for decades. Extrapolate the safety tech 100 years.

bacha29

Sure. Talk to the environmentalists. All for it and we'd be at or near self sufficiency with a cleaner environment if we'd been building them all along.
For years those old GE Mark 4's were known to be vulnerable to earthquakes and it finally happened in Japan. At the same time the new Westinghouse W-1000"s are proclaimed to be much less vulnerable to damage due the fact that they require 50% less piping valves and other plumbing. In addition China nearly had the 2008 Olympics cancelled until they shut down 8 nearby coal fired plants, the air was that dirty .Today China has set out to become the world's leading producer of solar energy. Even with the cheap uranium the nukes still can't run with the gas plants. In fact right now US nat gas is so cheap that ports are being built in Louisiana and New Jersey to export gas to Europe.

vantexan

For years those old GE Mark 4's were known to be vulnerable to earthquakes and it finally happened in Japan. At the same time the new Westinghouse W-1000"s are proclaimed to be much less vulnerable to damage due the fact that they require 50% less piping valves and other plumbing. In addition China nearly had the 2008 Olympics cancelled until they shut down 8 nearby coal fired plants, the air was that dirty .Today China has set out to become the world's leading producer of solar energy. Even with the cheap uranium the nukes still can't run with the gas plants. In fact right now US nat gas is so cheap that ports are being built in Louisiana and New Jersey to export gas to Europe.
That's all good but the gas will still run out some day, nuclear power plants need to be built, they've yet to come up with much of anything hydrogen wise, oil will become cost prohibitive at some point. If the world can run on electric vehicles great, but we don't have the capacity yet to charge all of those vehicles. Better start building mass transit trains and high speed cross country trains to replace polluting airliners.

bbsam

Staff member
That's all good but the gas will still run out some day, nuclear power plants need to be built, they've yet to come up with much of anything hydrogen wise, oil will become cost prohibitive at some point. If the world can run on electric vehicles great, but we don't have the capacity yet to charge all of those vehicles. Better start building mass transit trains and high speed cross country trains to replace polluting airliners.

Lithium-Ion Battery Inventor Introduces New Technology for Fast-Charging, Noncombustible Batteries

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
With the world's population rapidly growing and more and more cars, planes, ships, etc it will come to an end some day. And if a viable alternative doesn't come along plenty will care.
The Godstone.
It's been found in the desert, and has a unlimited source of power.
It will replace all known sources of energy, cleanly, cheaply, and abundantly.
I know it's legit, because I read it in Yahoo News!
And we all know that it's as dependable as what we read on Brown Cafe.
So there.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

You're crazy. The 22amp fuse in the GE Mark 4 made it earthquake proof. The W-1000's can't hold a candle. Sure they use fewer piping valves, but they are GALVANIZED and untreated and aren't UL approved. The cheap natural gas is just an illusitory effect caused by the unrealistic interest rates created by currency manipulation and inflationary deflation in 3rd world grain markets.

So really, unless you get a royal flush on the river, you're better off using a store brand on discount Wednesdays.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You're crazy. The 22amp fuse in the GE Mark 4 made it earthquake proof. The W-1000's can't hold a candle. Sure they use fewer piping valves, but they are GALVANIZED and untreated and aren't UL approved. The cheap natural gas is just an illusitory effect caused by the unrealistic interest rates created by currency manipulation and inflationary deflation in 3rd world grain markets.

So really, unless you get a royal flush on the river, you're better off using a store brand on discount Wednesdays.
There you go again!