Smoking and UPS

rod

Retired 22 years
My state will go smoke free (public places) on Oct. 1st. It will come to your state sooner than later. I wonder how long UPS will continue to allow smoking in their package cars and feeders. I bet not for long. P.S. Although I'm a non-smoker now, I did smoke for 25 of my 30 years at UPS and knowing that smoldering cig was waiting for me back at the truck did play a part in keeping me sane. However, I was told on occasion that I smelled like a ciggarette.

Overpaid Union Thug

My state will go smoke free (public places) on Oct. 1st. It will come to your state sooner than later. I wonder how long UPS will continue to allow smoking in their package cars and feeders. I bet not for long. P.S. Although I'm a non-smoker now, I did smoke for 25 of my 30 years at UPS and knowing that smoldering cig was waiting for me back at the truck did play a part in keeping me sane. However, I was told on occasion that I smelled like a ciggarette.

I'm all for the smoking ban as long as it's in public places only. I can't stand when people smoke in public places. Especially in restaurants. So rude. Smoking is rediculously stupid. Totally unhealthy. Not to mention waaaaaaaaay to expensive. If someone is going to pay that much $$ for something to smoke, and slowly kill you and the same time, then it should at least make you high. LOL. As far as smoking in package cars goes....I'm not sure a driver that stinks up the places he delivers to is a good idea.

over9five

Staff member
Smokers are pigs. Just go to the beach, and try to find a spot without their butts all over the place. Look at the sides of the road, the sidewalks, the park, the playground. Watch them poison their children smoking in the car, and then throw that still lit butt out the window.

The world is their ashtray.

moreluck

golden ticket member
over9five....I agree with your statement....... but I am also a smoker. We can't smoke at our CA. beaches. When we used to be allowed, I always hauled my butts out of there along with some others I would pick up.

When I am at the patio at Starbucks, I carry my own ashtray and dispose of butts properly. I look on the ground and see cigs. and mentally say what you said..."pigs".

I had no problem following the rules when they outlawed smoking in all reataurants & bars.

A little consideration for others is nice and I always try.......however, I do hate it when someone walks by my table (outside) and does that phony little cough thing.

Believe me, smokers know the habit is bad.....we are not stupid, we are just addicted.

sendagain

I don't like cigarette butts any more than anybody else, but to think that I have elected officials focusing their efforts on banning smoking pisses me off. Meanwhile, we have drug cartels smuggling drugs and illegals across our southern borders, many of them armed more heavily than our own law enforcement. Our own politicians want to sell this country down the river to any immigrant who wants to come here. The mayor of LA thinks he is the President of Mexico, speaking to his constituents in Spanish, opposing his own police force. We are being ripped off for fuel and nobody will let us drill for more oil that we desperately need. While our politicians dick around in Washington, China is moving equiptment to drill off Cuban shores to take oil out of this region. Yeah, but we got smoking banned. Oh great!

raceanoncr

Rod, many yrs ago here, a friend o mine was totally disgusted with having to share tractors with smokers. Company just fluffed it off and told him and others to just live with it and shuttup. Of course, the smokers totally had consideration and would not smoke in tractors (sarcasm detected? If not, detect it!). We had some arrogant boneheads come right out and say nobody was gonna tell them what to do in these machines! Makes you just wanna leave an open 55-gal can o Flatulence for them to enjoy on their shift!

We drew up letter with petition, presented it to D/M and edict was handed down banning smoking in P/C, feeders, shifters, any vehicle we had, but just locally. You know what? Company still fluffing it off! "Well, we're trying to work with the smokers!" Only recently (this edict has been in effect for more then 15 yrs, at least), has the company been shuffling tractor assignments around trying to accomodate smokers to smokers but STILL??? We got a local policy against it here but company won't follow policy!!!!

So, my feeling on your comment about how long the company will allow it...THEY WON'T STAND FOR IT! Well, maybe on paper! But, like so many things here, in practice is a diff story.

Overpaid Union Thug

I never could understand why people start smoking anyway. Is it a peer pressure thing? Just about everyone I know that smokes, or ever smoked, started in their early teens. Said they pretty much did because "everyone else did." I tried it a few times to see what all of the fuss was about. Tasted like pure smoke too me.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I don't like cigarette butts any more than anybody else, but to think that I have elected officials focusing their efforts on banning smoking pisses me off. Meanwhile, we have drug cartels smuggling drugs and illegals across our southern borders, many of them armed more heavily than our own law enforcement. Our own politicians want to sell this country down the river to any immigrant who wants to come here. The mayor of LA thinks he is the President of Mexico, speaking to his constituents in Spanish, opposing his own police force. We are being ripped off for fuel and nobody will let us drill for more oil that we desperately need. While our politicians dick around in Washington, China is moving equiptment to drill off Cuban shores to take oil out of this region. Yeah, but we got smoking banned. Oh great!
Dont try to make your filthy habit look insignificent by mentioning scandels , the fact is that those smokes of yours have killed far more people than all of the" True Evils" or what you think are "Real problems" combined . I for one do think its great . I gotta take a smoke break , back in 5

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
just Kidding, I dont smoke , I dont mind people smoking around me I`m not bothered. but it is a big deal and causes a lot of deathst o both smokers and inocent standers buy

moreluck

golden ticket member
BAU.... I started smoking when I was 13. I think peer pressure is a small part of it. Every movie I watched at that age had elegant ladies with fancy cigarette holders and gentlemen who lit their cigarettes.

My parents both smoked. Imagine being in a car with 2 smokers, in the winter with windows closed......shoot, I was hooked before I ever started.. Not blaming.

It also made you feel "BAD", which was cool at the time.

The best commercial about smoking was the one where the kid inhaled and coughed like crazy and then it said, "Wasn't your body trying to tell you something?" Some of us just didn't listen, I guess. :sad:

BROWNDAWG

I never could understand why people start smoking anyway. Is it a peer pressure thing? Just about everyone I know that smokes, or ever smoked, started in their early teens. Said they pretty much did because "everyone else did." I tried it a few times to see what all of the fuss was about. Tasted like pure smoke too me.
NEXT THING YOULL BE COMPLAINING ABOUT WILL BE MC DONALD'S MAKING PEOPLE FAT. AND WHY YOU HAVE TO BE OBLIGATED TO LOOK AT OBESE PEOPLE. AND YES, SMOKING WILL KILL YOU BUT SO DO A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER THINGS OUT THERE TO MANY TO LIST. YES I DO SMOKE PUFF!! PUFF!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
No offense intended for Utah......

When I lived in Utah, they always wanted to tax cigs. higher & higher....a vice tax. I looked at fat Mormon women and often thought, why don't they tax ice cream higher and save these people from heart disease from the obesity.

diadlover

NEXT THING YOULL BE COMPLAINING ABOUT WILL BE MC DONALD'S MAKING PEOPLE FAT. AND WHY YOU HAVE TO BE OBLIGATED TO LOOK AT OBESE PEOPLE. AND YES, SMOKING WILL KILL YOU BUT SO DO A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER THINGS OUT THERE TO MANY TO LIST. YES I DO SMOKE PUFF!! PUFF!!!
Your caps is on. Oh wait...you probably did that on purpose so you would come across like you were yelling. Go milk a cow.

moreluck

golden ticket member
DL......I'M SORRY I BROKE YOUR HEART. WE ALL HAVE A VICE OR TWO. I ALSO FEEL THAT I AM IMPORTANT - THUS THE CAPS. :wink:

trickpony1

I got to watch my mother die of lung cancer that spread to her brain and liver.
Not a pretty sight.
Of course, she didn't think it would happen to her.