so how should performance issues be handled?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Overlooking or rewarding these drivers bad habits. The only time they show up on a report is when they have an accident or hit a pedestrian.

I have heard that in CA that the DIAD will not allow drivers to record anything on their DIADs for their entire lunch period; due to the lawsuit filed out there. I am sure UPS could implement this "dead diad" procedure nationwide by tomorrow but I am positive they will not until forced to do so.

We have a driver who comes in a half hour early; goes thru his truck and sets it up; picks out the missorts, etc and codes it off as his lunch. Nothing is done about his working off the clock or taking lunch that is not between 3rd and 6th hour of work.

The integrity is somehow lacking. again

File a grievance for yourself and the driver for the time he worked off the clock, We had a guy here do it, not sure if both got paid but I know 1 of them did. Contract clearly states it is managements responsibility to make sure all employees are properly paid for time worked, and to make sure no one is working off the clock.

Its simple. Train your management people how to read and follow the contract that you entered into and encouraged us to ratify. There is a disciplinary procedure in there; use it in a consistent and impartial manner. Stop playing favorites and giving special treatment to your lunch-skippers and corner-cutters.

+1

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
OH great one TIE you really should get off the floor and quit LYAO. Are you saying never in your time in mgmt that a time study was bad?
Im just a rookie, but If I had a driver that was hours over everyday, I would get a time study, and see. It would give me as a mgmt person a little more ammo. An accurate one would give everyone a better perception. And while the union may not recognize performance, when a study is correct, and a driver does the job, the numbers are closer to scratch. Which is supposedly what UPS wants, and instead of someone being a bad driver they are now not noticed is what we all want.
So why wont UPS do time studies? I know in 1990 I was not even a driver yet. I was young and totally beautiful. My children were still in high school. I was driving a 1987 Camaro, that was just like new. I did not have a cell phone, I had a beeper.
Things change, a time study then, is not accurate now.
Get up off the floor, and reply.

tieguy

Banned
Your a feeder manager! Even the laziest package car driver does more stops by 1030 than your best driver does in a week. LOL:knockedout:

friendeeder drivers have graduated to a higher level of performance. We have learned how to move thousands of packages at a time.:funny: in fact we move a weeks worth of deliveries by 1030 am.

tieguy

Banned
Re: so how should performance issues be handled?er

OH great one TIE you really should get off the floor and quit LYAO. Are you saying never in your time in mgmt that a time study was bad?
Im just a rookie, but If I had a driver that was hours over everyday, I would get a time study, and see. It would give me as a mgmt person a little more ammo. An accurate one would give everyone a better perception. And while the union may not recognize performance, when a study is correct, and a driver does the job, the numbers are closer to scratch. Which is supposedly what UPS wants, and instead of someone being a bad driver they are now not noticed is what we all want.
So why wont UPS do time studies? I know in 1990 I was not even a driver yet. I was young and totally beautiful. My children were still in high school. I was driving a 1987 Camaro, that was just like new. I did not have a cell phone, I had a beeper.
Things change, a time study then, is not accurate now.
Get up off the floor, and reply.

I never said that tooner I laughed at reds concept that most performances problems are the result of bad time studies. If I was a shop steward I would make the same argument if the time study performance was what the center used.

Actual performance accountability as we're talking about here is supposed to be identified with a three day performance ride. As such the driver is compared to what they have demonstrated they can do.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

I never said that tooner I laughed at reds concept that most performances problems are the result of bad time studies. If I was a shop steward I would make the same argument if the time study performance was what the center used.

Actual performance accountability as we're talking about here is supposed to be identified with a three day performance ride. As such the driver is compared to what they have demonstrated they can do.
Thank you for clarifying. that.
I am printing it out and handing it to my center manager on monday:happy2: I am at 14.1 on bad days and he yells at me. My best dem was 13.8 to 14.2.

Re-Raise

friendeeder drivers have graduated to a higher level of performance.

Is that why they get to wear the largest pants? Our feeder drivers wouldn't make it a week back in package.

I worked with them for years , they were far from our best.

pretzel_man

The question is fair, and so far not an answer.....

Lets try it again. A driver is ridden with by a trained supervisor. Under supervision and following methods, the driver performs at X stops per hour. He/she performs at X overallowed. This happens over 3 days and is called a "lock in" ride.

While not under supervision, the driver performs at a reduced stops per hour and / or overallowed.

This has nothing to do with IE. Its the operator's approach.

Is this a fair measure? If not, why? (I can think of a couple of reasons, but they are easily accounted for.)

P-Man

tieguy

Banned

Thank you for clarifying. that.
I am printing it out and handing it to my center manager on monday:happy2: I am at 14.1 on bad days and he yells at me. My best dem was 13.8 to 14.2.

thats fine hon. thats the way it should be. time measurement is not a perfect science. My first run was one future management candidates were generally assigned to as they rotated through delivery. As such it was a split car that absolutely sucked. i learned how to work doormen at apartment buildings and get them to sign for everything that went to the building. I learned to be the first guy to hit a shared high volume pickup. As such I was generally 30 minutes under scratch. lunch was of course optional. I may have been the best management candidate to run the route and certainly had better results then the guy who ended up with a nice cushy region job later on in life. Did that make me better then him or anyone else that ran the route. Absolutely not . I just figured out how to work it to make the numbers. Many of our drivers either can't figure it out or don't care to chase that number like I did. So I understand the time measurement issues. At some point we have to come up with a better way of measuring performance. I'm not sure I was anymore effective performance wise then anyone that had ever run the route I just figured out how to score on the route.

tieguy

Banned
Is that why they get to wear the largest pants? Our feeder drivers wouldn't make it a week back in package.

I worked with them for years , they were far from our best.

be nice. longevity becomes a science in feeders. speed and pure performance are no longer an issue. controlling all that equipment to keep from killing someone is.

DS

Fenderbender
great idea fora a thread.
There are a lot of variables that change constantly in any given area.
New pickups,places closing,new condos,oncalls etc.
I myself have improved my production by being more efficient.
I rarely drive down a street unless its because I have a delivery there.
If I have a 10:30 commit and its 10:15 I can often bang off 4 resi's on the way and still make it without freaking out like I used to.Area knowledge is everything.They don't bug me ever about production,I run 1.50 over and that is scratch in my world.In a way time studies are redundant because things change drastically over time.

brownrod

Lets try it again. A driver is ridden with by a trained supervisor. Under supervision and following methods, the driver performs at X stops per hour. He/she performs at X overallowed. This happens over 3 days and is called a "lock in" ride.

While not under supervision, the driver performs at a reduced stops per hour and / or overallowed.

P-Man

My performance has only decreased while a supervisor rides with me. I don't even understand how someone's performance can increase while a supervisor rides with them.
My supervisors can't keep up with me. They are like an anchor.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My performance has only decreased while a supervisor rides with me. I don't even understand how someone's performance can increase while a supervisor rides with them. My supervisors can't keep up with me. They are like an anchor.

This is most often the case with a driver who likes to "visit" with his customers. We have one driver who will spend his mornings "visiting" and has to pick up the pace in the afternoon to get back under 9.5.

To add to what DS wrote, knowing your DOL and DIAD inside and out will help tremendously. Area knowledge is crucial, especially if you are able to indirect residential packages to commercial locations. What I mean is if you know that the owner of Dave's Hardware also lives on your area and would appreciate having his home deliveries left at his business (provided there are packages for his business), you would be taking care of your customer while getting two stops for the price of one. Number breaks, traffic patterns, school dismissal times, etc., are all things which can greatly improve efficiency.

P-man, I have one slight correction to your otherwise spot on post. You wrote "While not under supervision, the driver performs at a reduced stops per hour and/or overallowed." I think you meant to add the word "increased" before overallowed.

Omega man

This has nothing to do with IE. Its the operator's approach.

Is this a fair measure? If not, why? (I can think of a couple of reasons, but they are easily accounted for.)

P-Man

It's not a fair measure because statistically, a 3-day ride does not accurately represent what the driver does all year. Any sampling rate this low (1%) is subject to a very high Standard Deviation (Deviation from the mean or average). As such it can never be accurately used to predict what a driver should do on a consistent basis.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's not a fair measure because statistically, a 3-day ride does not accurately represent what the driver does all year. Any sampling rate this low (1%) is subject to a very high Standard Deviation (Deviation from the mean or average). As such it can never be accurately used to predict what a driver should do on a consistent basis.

WORK MEASUREMENT
Time studies have demonstrated to be accurate 95% of the time for within + or - 5% for 95% of the routes.
Let's see what UPS is claiming then:
It is accurate for 19 out of 20 drivers.
For the 19, it is only accurate 19 days out of 20.
For the 19 drivers on those 19 days that it is accurate, it is only accurate to within 5% for those days.
That means that if the route plans up to 9 hours or 540 minutes, the planned day is in a range of 513 and 567 minutes.

That is why almost all operators concentrate on "demonstrated performance" that has been established over a period of time and verified on OJS rides.

DEMONSTRATED PERFORMANCE
Drivers have OJS rides performed when management does not believe they are performing at an acceptable level of productivity and/or quality.
If the supervisor rides with the driver and establishes a certain productivity level and then the driver drops considerably, a talk with is performed and if lower productivity continues, then one or more OJS rides are conducted. In my experience, this continues for several iterations prior to any serious disciplinary action is taken.

Of course, several levels and incidences of "harassment" may occur in the entire process. :biting: