so how should performance issues be handled?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This still has nothing to do with a three day lock in ride. There are drivers who performs well under supervision and slack off when not watched. By the way, I think this is 10% or less of the drivers. Just as there are poor management, there are poor drivers.

From my perspective, lock in rides are a fair way to hold them accountable.

P-Man

P-man....do you think it should work both ways?

Lets say you have a driver with a history of injuries and accidents who has flawed and unsafe work methods. Lets say he averages 18 SPORH.

Lets then say that he gets a 3 day ride where he is confronted about his unsafe habits and retrained and required to follow the methods. Lets say that his SPORH during this 3 day ride drops to 14 SPORH.

If he shoots up to 18 SPORH as soon as he is alone again...should he also be threatened with discipline for "failure to maintain demonstrated performance?"

Or does the accountability only apply to those who dont make their management look good on paper?

pretzel_man

P-man....do you think it should work both ways?

Lets say you have a driver with a history of injuries and accidents who has flawed and unsafe work methods. Lets say he averages 18 SPORH.

Lets then say that he gets a 3 day ride where he is confronted about his unsafe habits and retrained and required to follow the methods. Lets say that his SPORH during this 3 day ride drops to 14 SPORH.

If he shoots up to 18 SPORH as soon as he is alone again...should he also be threatened with discipline for "failure to maintain demonstrated performance?"

Or does the accountability only apply to those who dont make their management look good on paper?

Yes, I think it should work both ways.

I think that management should not allow a driver to violate methods regardless of it making them faster or slower.

soberups

Yes, I think it should work both ways.

I think that management should not allow a driver to violate methods regardless of it making them faster or slower.

I am glad that you personally feel that way; unfortunately, your opinion simply does not reflect the day-to-day reality of UPS operations.

The reality...is that the driver and his supervisor are in a postion of conflict over what is a reasonable level of production.

The root cause of that conflict, more often than not, is an unfair time allowance for the route in question.

By refusing to address the underlying problem, the management team is operating in a state of denial.

They expend huge quantities of time, energy, credibility and good will trying to put a Band-Aid of SPORH over the cancer of the unfair allowance.

SPORH, 3-day lock in rides, OJS's etc. only occur when the driver in question is "overallowed."

Flawed and unsafe methods which result in bonus are ignored or tacitly approved, while flawed methods that supposedly result in overallowed are not.

This blatant double standard...combined with the ongoing denial of the underlying problem...destroys the credibility of the management team and places them in a state of continuous conflict with the driver in question.

There can be no teamwork or cooperation under such conditions. The relationship becomes adversarial rather than harmonious.

The driver wants to solve the problem, whereas the management team only wants to manipulate the metric.

Omega man

Pretzel, if you truly believe what your company is doing is fair and that a 3-day ride accurately represents what a driver does all year then you should fire every driver whose SPORH increases during peak. You won’t have anyone left. Then, you all in management can go out and deliver everything and never demonstrate a consistent level of performance either.

pretzel_man

I am glad that you personally feel that way; unfortunately, your opinion simply does not reflect the day-to-day reality of UPS operations.

The reality...is that the driver and his supervisor are in a postion of conflict over what is a reasonable level of production.

The root cause of that conflict, more often than not, is an unfair time allowance for the route in question.

By refusing to address the underlying problem, the management team is operating in a state of denial.

They expend huge quantities of time, energy, credibility and good will trying to put a Band-Aid of SPORH over the cancer of the unfair allowance.

SPORH, 3-day lock in rides, OJS's etc. only occur when the driver in question is "overallowed."

Flawed and unsafe methods which result in bonus are ignored or tacitly approved, while flawed methods that supposedly result in overallowed are not.

This blatant double standard...combined with the ongoing denial of the underlying problem...destroys the credibility of the management team and places them in a state of continuous conflict with the driver in question.

There can be no teamwork or cooperation under such conditions. The relationship becomes adversarial rather than harmonious.

The driver wants to solve the problem, whereas the management team only wants to manipulate the metric.

Most drivers, not all want to solve the problems. Most management, not all want to solve the problems.

I don't condone inappropriate management. You should not condone inappropriate drivers.

The fact that systems, methods, and management is not perfect is no excuse for not holding drivers who don't do their part accountable. That was the question of this thread....

It seems that you are doing what you accuse IE of. You seem to think that there is no way to determine performance except what you think...

3 day rides combined with other metrics is a reasonable approach.

P-Man

soberups

3 day rides combined with other metrics is a reasonable approach.

P-Man

The 3 day rides are only as "reasonable" as the management people who are performing them, and the metrics that they are trying to meet.

When the allowance is unfair, the expectations are unfair. When the expectations are unfair, the management people who have no choice but to meet those expectations will be unfair to those they supervise.

Work right slow and safe

I talked with my shop st about this before i left the bldg and he was ok with this due to the fact that they were so messed up for the day ??? so when asked about filling on him he stated no i could not????