So is it really better to just ignore supervisors?

possibleparrot381

Probably remember my previous post about harassment from a supervisor. One Steward wanted to "talk it out" the other said file a grievance. Well I was called into the office today with the building manager, supervisor, and my "talk it out" steward and long story short two of them act like I'm the jerk and steward just listens. I'm not sure if that's all he is supposed to do but I didn't really see the point of him being in there. I like him as a person but man do I feel like such an idiot not having the other one in there. For some reason the building manager and supervisor thought that I didn't want the supervisor to talk to me ever again I said no I just want the same respect I give him. Nowhere in my grievance did I say that.

I'm not a very argumentative person so I just wanted the whole thing to be over but basically we all agreed to treat me better, and I'll "perform" better. I withdrew the grievance and I called my local and they said if this happens again file again. They did say to me that it's their job to argue about production numbers not the stewards.

I'm just not sure whether I got played or now we understand each other. I mean I don't think I'm that bad of a worker sure the trucks aren't as pretty as some of these drivers want it to be but it's kinda hard to do that when I'm rushed. I never have missed loads and I never miss a day and never late I'm not sure why this supervisor has such a vendetta against me.

Want some advice on people who have been here longer than me I've only been here a few months.

Last edited:

Staydryitsraining

If a steward is in the office and just let's a manager talk without saying anything get a different steward and turn your grievances into another one as well. Now watch this steward and find out what managers do for them.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Probably remember my previous post about harassment from a supervisor. One Steward wanted to "talk it out" the other said file a grievance. Well I was called into the office today with the building manager, supervisor, and my "talk it out" steward and long story short two of them act like I'm the jerk and steward just listens. I'm not sure if that's all he is supposed to do but I didn't really see the point of him being in there. I like him as a person but man do I feel like such an idiot not having the other one in there. For some reason the building manager and supervisor thought that I didn't want the supervisor to talk to me ever again I said no I just want the same respect I give him. Nowhere in my grievance did I say that.

I'm not a very argumentative person so I just wanted the whole thing to be over but basically we all agreed to treat me better, and I'll "perform" better. I withdrew the grievance and I called my local and they said if this happens again file again. They did say to me that it's their job to argue about production numbers not the stewards.

I'm just not sure whether I got played or now we understand each other. I mean I don't think I'm that bad of a worker sure the trucks aren't as pretty as some of these drivers want it to be but it's kinda hard to do that when I'm rushed. I never have missed loads and I never miss a day and never late I'm not sure why this supervisor has such a vendetta against me.

Want some advice on people who have been here longer than me I've only been here a few months.
Harassment from a part time supervisor? Ha. Just wait till you go driving.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If a steward is in the office and just let's a manager talk without saying anything get a different steward and turn your grievances into another one as well. Now watch this steward and find out what managers do for them.
Depends. As long as they're not threatening discipline or being verbally abusive there's no harm in keeping it cool and letting them have their say. Sometimes the less said the better.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Keeping it cool is one thing. Ignoring him makes it personal and you’ll bring a load of crap down on yourself.
Then you’ll come here and tell us what they’re doing to you.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

Did you ever go by the name @Birdblue on BC ?

542thruNthru

Depends. As long as they're not threatening discipline or being verbally abusive there's no harm in keeping it cool and letting them have their say. Sometimes the less said the better.
Exactly. The goal is to resolve the issue not go in and start WWIII. Personally I want a calm and collected steward in the office with me.

Too many members in my eyes think a steward is supposed to just go into the office and ream management. That's manly because they don't actually know what the role of a steward is.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Answering your thread question:

In my opinion no.

As far as the content of your post:

Were you satisfied with the outcome of the hearing?

Are you comfortable that you withdrew the grievance?

What did you get for withdrawing the grievance?

handleubb29392

Ok so even though you are part time you still have more protection and rights than any manager. So if he acted like the victim in this meeting then he's trying to cover his ass because he knows he was wrong. Let the center manager "handle" it (frankly I'd be surprised if this doesn't happens again) and just ignore the supervisor and go uh huh yeah when he goes on about his stupid numbers. Also unless you're a :censored2: up no driver is going to complain about you. That's a managers tactic of divide and conqueror.

Also that steward needs to lose his job. While yes they do listen to both sides they are supposed to stand up for you as well that's literally what you are paying for (assuming you are) every week. Stick with the one you like sounds like he's not corrupted yet

JustDeliverIt

And just so you know if there are other issues you need a steward for, you are allowed to ask for the other steward. Management will always make sure they have the one they want in the office with you. Not saying he's bad or not trying, but you can request other representation.

possibleparrot381

Keeping it cool is one thing. Ignoring him makes it personal and you’ll bring a load of crap down on yourself.
Then you’ll come here and tell us what they’re doing to you.

sorry I meant ignoring comments about performance and if he decides to be an ass again should I let that go and just be like "I will do my best" or is it worth saying something again? I know the difference between being a manager and bullying and he was definitively bullying me and saying I should leave if I don't do better. My other steward and my union treasurer say to file again if this becomes an issue again but now I just don't see it being worth the hassle anymore. The building manager said he'd take care of it so I just have to hope he listens to him.

possibleparrot381

Harassment from a part time supervisor? Ha. Just wait till you go driving.
well I think that might be different no one is actually there in the car with me but I don't know what it is like I'm just a package handler. The drivers I talk to say they could't wait to get out of the hub because of the constant bs so early in the morning

possibleparrot381

Answering your thread question:

In my opinion no.

As far as the content of your post:

Were you satisfied with the outcome of the hearing?

Are you comfortable that you withdrew the grievance?

What did you get for withdrawing the grievance?
if this supervisor stops belittling me then yes I would say I am happy. I wasn't comfortable withdrawing the grievance because I don't trust any manager at all but I had because I wanted to get out of there. At least they know I'm serious so maybe the guy will tone himself down. I don't know why hates me so much even before this I don't know what the problem is.

Shiftless

sorry I meant ignoring comments about performance and if he decides to be an ass again should I let that go and just be like "I will do my best" or is it worth saying something again? I know the difference between being a manager and bullying and he was definitively bullying me and saying I should leave if I don't do better.
Do US and yourself a favor!

Learn to WAD (work as directed)! If you do that, they will give up and move onto the next person who worries about their personal feelings.

Do your job as directed and trained and watch the dog n pony show happen all around you. Its their dispatch, its their numbers put the pressure back on them to do their job! Not on your back!

OR

Keep being concerned about what they think! Shrivel and curl up in a ball!

I learned very early if I did the WAD thing and knew my Wiengarten rights, life was so much easier. And on top of that, management gets moved around and the next bone head comes in to reinvent the process and the dog n pony n show begins again.

OR? Just quit, this jobs too much for your feelings to handle!

Choices, ya gotta Love Choices!

possibleparrot381

Ok so even though you are part time you still have more protection and rights than any manager. So if he acted like the victim in this meeting then he's trying to cover his ass because he knows he was wrong. Let the center manager "handle" it (frankly I'd be surprised if this doesn't happens again) and just ignore the supervisor and go uh huh yeah when he goes on about his stupid numbers. Also unless you're a * up no driver is going to complain about you. That's a managers tactic of divide and conqueror.

Also that steward needs to lose his job. While yes they do listen to both sides they are supposed to stand up for you as well that's literally what you are paying for (assuming you are) every week. Stick with the one you like sounds like he's not corrupted yet
If I could ever get him outside of work and ask he would probably say that because he honestly looked sick about the whole thing. Until of course I bring up my complaints and suddenly he's got his confidence back and doing the exact thing I filed the grievance about belittling me lmao I give up trying to reason with him I'll just do my job and leave and if he doesn't like what I do that's tough I don't want to quit

handleubb29392

Do US and yourself a favor!

Learn to WAD (work as directed)! If you do that, they will give up and move onto the next person who worries about their personal feelings.

Do your job as directed and trained and watch the dog n pony show happen all around you. Its their dispatch, its their numbers put the pressure back on them to do their job! Not on your back!

OR

Keep being concerned about what they think! Shrivel and curl up in a ball!

I learned very early if I did the WAD thing and knew my Wiengarten rights, life was so much easier. And on top of that, management gets moved around and the next bone head comes in to reinvent the process and the dog n pony n show begins again.

OR? Just quit, this jobs too much for your feelings to handle!

Choices, ya gotta Love Choices!
some of these people they hire for supervisors are sociopaths I swear. they want to get under all of our skin and it's up to us to not let them win. people like op and myself who have had issues with management have to remember that by us showing up every day that's a huge slap in the face because they want us to quit. they don't want to pay another "bum" $30 hr to shuffle cardboard around eventually and it burns them that they have to

Integrity

Binge Poster
if this supervisor stops belittling me then yes I would say I am happy. I wasn't comfortable withdrawing the grievance because I don't trust any manager at all but I had because I wanted to get out of there. At least they know I'm serious so maybe the guy will tone himself down. I don't know why hates me so much even before this I don't know what the problem is.
Maybe you made your point.

Time will tell if the Article 37 behavior stops.

IMO You are right to be suspicious of all UPS management.

When I was Steward I never withdrew a grievance without getting something specific in return.

Even if it was simply a documented commitment to change.

I do hope your hostile work environment improves.

You deserve it because we all deserve it.