So is it really better to just ignore supervisors?

possibleparrot381

Maybe you made your point.

Time will tell if the Article 37 behavior stops.

IMO You are right to be suspicious of all UPS management.

When I was Steward I never withdrew a grievance without getting something specific in return.

Even if it was simply a documented commitment to change.

I do hope your hostile work environment improves.

You deserve it because we all deserve it.
I don't know if this counts but like I said the center manager said he would appreciate it if I withdrew and he would have this supervisor be more respectful and would also appreciate me "performing" better and goes on about numbers and bs I don't care about. It's like they can't be nice without it being a backhanded comment you know? like I'm the :censored2: wanting some dignity in this place. I appreciate that it's really not asking for much to be treated human

Integrity

Binge Poster
Do US and yourself a favor!

Learn to WAD (work as directed)! If you do that, they will give up and move onto the next person who worries about their personal feelings.

Do your job as directed and trained and watch the dog n pony show happen all around you. Its their dispatch, its their numbers put the pressure back on them to do their job! Not on your back!

OR

Keep being concerned about what they think! Shrivel and curl up in a ball!

I learned very early if I did the WAD thing and knew my Wiengarten rights, life was so much easier. And on top of that, management gets moved around and the next bone head comes in to reinvent the process and the dog n pony n show begins again.

OR? Just quit, this jobs too much for your feelings to handle!

Choices, ya gotta Love Choices!
Each employee has a contractual right to be treated with dignity and respect.

I would never counsel someone to quit because they want to stand up for this just cause.

The employees, management and hourly, who refuse to treat all fellow workers with dignity and respect and the ones who don’t stand up for themselves in this area are the problem at UPS.

Not the ones who stand up to this chronic Article 37 violation culture that permeates all of UPS that I have experienced.

I would counsel the employees, management and hourly, who refuse to treat all fellow workers with dignity and respect and the ones who don’t strictly enforce the contract in this area to quit.

They are the ones who create and encourage the horrible culture at UPS.

Shiftless

some of these people they hire for supervisors are sociopaths I swear. they want to get under all of our skin and it's up to us to not let them win. people like op and myself who have had issues with management have to remember that by us showing up every day that's a huge slap in the face because they want us to quit. they don't want to pay another "bum" $30 hr to shuffle cardboard around eventually and it burns them that they have to
That is why I suggested a work around to the as you call them "sociopaths". You have rights and you have to perform! Let your work ethic not get confused with your personal feelings. Separate them. Do your job as directed and just enjoy the people you meet and the job you do. If you are harboring hurt feelings as an employee its on you!

Granted everyone approaches this system of management style differently. JUST DONT PARTICIPATE!

I use to tell drivers, put your big boy pants on and get your head in the game of working as directed and let the stress roll of your back!

Its their dispatch, its their number's, so its their issue! Just give a 100% and WAD and some day you will retire unbroken and satisfied??

Well Maybe?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I don't know if this counts but like I said the center manager said he would appreciate it if I withdrew and he would have this supervisor be more respectful and would also appreciate me "performing" better and goes on about numbers and bs I don't care about. It's like they can't be nice without it being a backhanded comment you know? like I'm the * wanting some dignity in this place. I appreciate that it's really not asking for much to be treated human
It’s Contractual Article 37!

handleubb29392

I don't know if this counts but like I said the center manager said he would appreciate it if I withdrew and he would have this supervisor be more respectful and would also appreciate me "performing" better and goes on about numbers and bs I don't care about. It's like they can't be nice without it being a backhanded comment you know? like I'm the * wanting some dignity in this place. I appreciate that it's really not asking for much to be treated human
I think without meaning to you insulted the center manager because I'm sure his boss got on to him why does this guy feel the need to file a grievance are you not doing your job? Blah blah wouldn't take anything he says seriously. "Perform better" my smart ass would have been like you're lucky I even show up to this smile*****

handleubb29392

That is why I suggested a work around to the as you call them "sociopaths". You have rights and you have to perform! Let your work ethic not get confused with your personal feelings. Separate them. Do your job as directed and just enjoy the people you meet and the job you do. If you are harboring hurt feelings as an employee its on you!

Granted everyone approaches this system of management style differently. JUST DONT PARTICIPATE!

I use to tell drivers, put your big boy pants on and get your head in the game of working as directed and let the stress roll of your back!

Its their dispatch, its their number's, so its their issue! Just give a 100% and WAD and some day you will retire unbroken and satisfied??

Well Maybe?
Sounds a bit bootlickery to me. Break your back and just take it from management what can go wrong

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Also that steward needs to lose his job. While yes they do listen to both sides they are supposed to stand up for you as well that's literally what you are paying for (assuming you are) every week. Stick with the one you like sounds like he's not corrupted yet

Stewards don't get paid for representing union members. Just saying. Even if he isn't the best one you've got, it's still more involvement than 95%+ of the workforce is willing to put in.

I think without meaning to you insulted the center manager because I'm sure his boss got on to him why does this guy feel the need to file a grievance are you not doing your job? Blah blah wouldn't take anything he says seriously. "Perform better" my smart ass would have been like you're lucky I even show up to this smile*****

Your smart ass will end up being fired for things like that. When you get hauled into the office with a steward, do yourself a favor, and let the steward do the talking. Emotional idiots get fired.

90% of the time, it seems like it comes down to whoever loses their cool first.

Sounds a bit bootlickery to me. Break your back and just take it from management what can go wrong
Working as directed is the first, last, and best defense against management idiocy.
It works in basically all cases unless safety is concerned.

Don't give stupid advice.

35years

Gravy route
-They played good cop, bad cop with you (supervisor and manager). Don't fall for it. They rehearsed what they were going to say ahead of time. They are trying to manipulate you..." my manager is a great guy getting the supervisor off my back, I will work hard for him."

Notice that they steered the narrative that you are the problem and need to work faster.

Realize that the supervisor is just playing the role. He is a jerk for agreeing to harrass you, but make no mistake they train him how to do it.

How to deal with it?
Never let the harrassment affect how you work. They can tell you how to be more productive, and you should take that to heart, but not the harrassment. Just do your job. Keep your cool. File on all harrassment. If they say to work faster tell them "I will do my best". Don't let their mind games get to you.
Sometimes they harrass just to get your adrenaline up (get mad) ...and go faster.

Management are just temporary employees. I personally don't care AT ALL what they think about me. They have the right to tell me how to be more productive and safe, but nothing more.

Stare at them blankly, say you will do your best, file, and don't let them get to you.

Cheekh Good Drama

I had same issue last week. New supervisor no one likes him. Harassed everyone called me a idiots. I told the full time supervisor and he just moved me into another pd. Within a day or 2

Integrity

Binge Poster
Stewards don't get paid for representing union members. Just saying. Even if he isn't the best one you've got, it's still more involvement than 95%+ of the workforce is willing to put in.
Stewards in our Local get a Salary, not much but they get one.
Your smart ass will end up being fired for things like that. When you get hauled into the office with a steward, do yourself a favor, and let the steward do the talking. Emotional idiots get fired.
Agree. Except for the name calling. I don’t think they are idiots.
90% of the time, it seems like it comes down to whoever loses their cool first.

Working as directed is the first, last, and best defense against management idiocy.
It works in basically all cases unless safety is concerned.

Don't give stupid advice.
👍

possibleparrot381

-They played good cop, bad cop with you (supervisor and manager). Don't fall for it. They rehearsed what they were going to say ahead of time. They are trying to manipulate you..." my manager is a great guy getting the supervisor off my back, I will work hard for him."

Notice that they steered the narrative that you are the problem and need to work faster.

Realize that the supervisor is just playing the role. He is a jerk for agreeing to harrass you, but make no mistake they train him how to do it.

How to deal with it?
Never let the harrassment affect how you work. They can tell you how to be more productive, and you should take that to heart, but not the harrassment. Just do your job. Keep your cool. File on all harrassment. If they say to work faster tell them "I will do my best". Don't let their mind games get to you.
Sometimes they harrass just to get your adrenaline up (get mad) ...and go faster.

Management are just temporary employees. I personally don't care AT ALL what they think about me. They have the right to tell me how to be more productive and safe, but nothing more.

Stare at them blankly, say you will do your best, file, and don't let them get to you.
Yeah I'm the jerk for sure I don't kill myself for this place. Whole thing was a joke the more I think about it should just not care like my co workers

nWo

That PT sup is the lowest man on the totem pole. He's probably pretty butthurt about it so he's trying to act like he's hard.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
At this point just go in do your job and go home. It’s not your operation you’re just there to work. If it goes to :censored2: that’s on them. I’m sure in a year or two that supervisor will be gone. Lol.
Yeah I'm the jerk for sure I don't kill myself for this place. Whole thing was a joke the more I think about it should just not care like my co workers

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
some of these people they hire for supervisors are sociopaths I swear. they want to get under all of our skin and it's up to us to not let them win. people like op and myself who have had issues with management have to remember that by us showing up every day that's a huge slap in the face because they want us to quit. they don't want to pay another "bum" $30 hr to shuffle cardboard around eventually and it burns them that they have to
Yeah it’s clear as day that a good chunk of these guys aren’t sup material to begin with. It just ups was desperate to get someone to do that :censored2:ty position.

xkingx

If a steward is in the office and just let's a manager talk without saying anything get a different steward and turn your grievances into another one as well. Now watch this steward and find out what managers do for them.
EXACTLY!!! This is why I always grab another steward who is a driver under different management.
however, we now have one in our center who will go head to head and I’ll use him over anyone else.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had same issue last week. New supervisor no one likes him. Harassed everyone called me a idiots. I told the full time supervisor and he just moved me into another pd. Within a day or 2
And you got your panties in a wad because someone called you an idiot? Toughen up Buttercup.