Sociology observations.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Uh oh! What did she do to get in trouble? LOL
Knocked up, and I'm supposed to agree that she is grown up. That's the short version, LOL. Oh, and I found that picture of my garage door for ya. I'll post it right now.

Is she still speaking to you?
No, and visa versa. It's a long story, but I'm some sort of bad guy for not agreeing that she's doing a fine job with her life, like everyone on the maternal side of her life say she is. Sorry, I tell it like it is. Please don't say I'm wrong, as that'll make me clench my teeth really hard, causing me to damage the braces on my teeth.:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well, that's a fine kettle of fish she has gotten herself into. Would never dream of disagreeing with you. But remember, you cannot solve all of her problems. All you can do is be there to support and love her. :peaceful:

helenofcalifornia

Remember the good old days? You would be running with a pack of neighborhood kids until 10:30 at night on summer eves. Playing games outside, not a care in the world. The truck spraying DDT for mosquito's out the back of it with big billowing clouds late at night, would be the sirens call for all of us to once again go play in the dead of night out in the streets once again. (Could explain some of our personality quirks too)

Television, video games, MTV hadn't taken a hold of us yet. Grandparents still lived with us and exerted their moral compass. Parents for the most part were two people, not one. Didn't have to work two jobs to make ends meet. Of course you were hand me downs and didn't question it. My gram made clothes for me and my cousin, which did not bother us at all. Sunday evenings at the other grandparents with the cousins, aunts uncles, great grandma's.

Life was different then. I am glad I lived in that part of the century and wish everyone could live that simply life. But times change and if we don't change with the times, we get left behind. We all have callouses now to life and it's bumps and bruises and harden ourselves with indifference to what happens to our fellow man. You got to or you won't survive.

I am off the box now.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I am sorry my friend but your statement is wrong. People are born the way they are. There are inherited genes that nurturing can do nothing about it.
Wow, that was a punch in the face. I won't go into detail, TG, but I disagree with you.

Remember the good old days? You would be running with a pack of neighborhood kids until 10:30 at night on summer eves. Playing games outside, not a care in the world. The truck spraying DDT for mosquito's out the back of it with big billowing clouds late at night, would be the sirens call for all of us to once again go play in the dead of night out in the streets once again. (Could explain some of our personality quirks too)

Television, video games, MTV hadn't taken a hold of us yet. Grandparents still lived with us and exerted their moral compass. Parents for the most part were two people, not one. Didn't have to work two jobs to make ends meet. Of course you were hand me downs and didn't question it. My gram made clothes for me and my cousin, which did not bother us at all. Sunday evenings at the other grandparents with the cousins, aunts uncles, great grandma's.

Life was different then. I am glad I lived in that part of the century and wish everyone could live that simply life. But times change and if we don't change with the times, we get left behind. We all have callouses now to life and it's bumps and bruises and harden ourselves with indifference to what happens to our fellow man. You got to or you won't survive.

I am off the box now.
We lived the same life, growing up. We used to ride our bikes through that very smoke, when we were younger. I saw a report on 60 mins. that told of people coming down with serious ailments.

Very true about not having to work two jobs. I believe this makes it impossible for people to remain single and experience life on their own. It's funny, because I was just thinking about this very thing, the other day. Thanks Helen.:happy2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Knocked up, and I'm supposed to agree that she is grown up.

Could be worse ... drewed could be the father. LOL

Good luck and look deep inside yourself Steve. It's not the end of the world for her ... be there for her with your love if not with your approval.

Besides, grandkids are the greatest thing you will ever experience in your life .. at least it was/is for me.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Originally Posted by dilligaf
But remember, you cannot solve all of her problems. All you can do is be there to support and love her. :peaceful:

I will always love my daughter!

Saw this after my post ... good advice and good response.

Your kids are not here to live up to your expectations and you're not here to solve their problems.
Life gets better once you accept those two things. Been there, got the t-shirt.

Last edited:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Remember the good old days? The truck spraying DDT for mosquito's out the back of it with big billowing clouds late at night

I remember that DDT truck too in our 'hood, except he would spray in the late afternoon and the smoke cloud would be as thick as it would during fog alert days. I wonder if they made a study concerning long term effects of this practice, I need to know so I can sue the government for exposure to toxins.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
stevetheupsguy;529398[B said:
]Knocked up,[/B] and I'm supposed to agree that she is grown up. That's the short version, LOL. Oh, and I found that picture of my garage door for ya. I'll post it right now.

No, and visa versa. It's a long story, but I'm some sort of bad guy for not agreeing that she's doing a fine job with her life, like everyone on the maternal side of her life say she is. Sorry, I tell it like it is. Please don't say I'm wrong, as that'll make me clench my teeth really hard, causing me to damage the braces on my teeth.:wink2:

Anyone find it coincidental drewed was gone for a while? :wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I remember that DDT truck too in our 'hood, except he would spray in the late afternoon and the smoke cloud would be as thick as it would during fog alert days. I wonder if they made a study concerning long term effects of this practice, I need to know so I can sue the government for exposure to toxins.
Same here.

Anyone find it coincidental drewed was gone for a while? :wink2:
Nice. I think dewed was off trying to figure out life.

helenofcalifornia

You know Hoax, that is so true about just accepting the new things life throws at you instead of fighting it. Especially if it's something you can't, won't, or shouldn't change. Sometimes you waste vital time and energy on stuff tha won't ever go the way you want. Kinda like UPS, pick your battles wisely. Otherwise, does the battle really matter more than your energy you put into it?

You know it's only old people that talk like this. LOL.

Where can I buy one of those T-shirts Hoax?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You know Hoax, that is so true about just accepting the new things life throws at you instead of fighting it. Especially if it's something you can't, won't, or shouldn't change. Sometimes you waste vital time and energy on stuff tha won't ever go the way you want.

One of my observations in life Helen, is it comes down to CONTROL.
People who feel they must control other people (and even pets) put themselves under a lot of stress in trying to do so. It makes them unhappy and the people around them unhappy.

This is what a lot of churches are about.
This is what a lot of parents do.

And this is what management does ... especially operations management.
It is one of the major responsibilities of a management person.
Fundamental management theory states that there is 3 stages of management effort - Planning, Organizing and Controlling.

Micro-management is the extreme case of Controlling and why no one likes to be micro-managed.
P-man strikes me as a balanced manager who manages the big things and lets the little things take care of themselves through the efforts of informed and empowered employees.
If you have ever reported to a management person that did not effectively monitor and control the groups efforts, you understand how frustrating and unfilling that can be.

Oh well ... that's it for Hoax sociology and management philosophy viewpoints for today.

Steve, I once was talking to a psychologist about his tenure working in a prison. He stated that nearly everyone he counseled blamed someone else for their troubles or an incident in their lives that caused them to become criminals. He said that his response was typically the same. " It doesn't matter why we have gotten to where we are today. What IS important is what we do NOW"

helenofcalifornia

You know Hoax, when you said it comes down to people who feel that they must control other people, the first thing that popped into my head was Republicans. (stream of consciousness and all) Not management ( though that was a good analogy), but Republicans. I am now going to duck behind you to avoid all the knives, arrows, blades that will be thrown in my direction. No one will dare throw anything in your direction, will they?

And was that you yesterday with all the "moved" threads? Oh, to be omnipotent like you! Sigh.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, I once was talking to a psychologist about his tenure working in a prison. He stated that nearly everyone he counseled blamed someone else for their troubles or an incident in their lives that caused them to become criminals. He said that his response was typically the same. " It doesn't matter why we have gotten to where we are today. What IS important is what we do NOW"
This is oh so true, 555. It doesn't matter if you've been raised by Jackal's, it's what you do with yourself, afterwards, that matters. JMHO

One of my observations in life Helen, is it comes down to CONTROL.
People who feel they must control other people (and even pets) put themselves under a lot of stress in trying to do so. It makes them unhappy and the people around them unhappy.

This is what a lot of churches are about.
This is what a lot of parents do.

And this is what management does ... especially operations management.
It is one of the major responsibilities of a management person.
Fundamental management theory states that there is 3 stages of management effort - Planning, Organizing and Controlling.

Micro-management is the extreme case of Controlling and why no one likes to be micro-managed.
P-man strikes me as a balanced manager who manages the big things and lets the little things take care of themselves through the efforts of informed and empowered employees.
If you have ever reported to a management person that did not effectively monitor and control the groups efforts, you understand how frustrating and unfilling that can be.

Oh well ... that's it for Hoax sociology and management philosophy viewpoints for today.
I think pets need to be controlled, or they just do what comes naturally. Run Wild! JMHO

You know Hoax, when you said it comes down to people who feel that they must control other people, the first thing that popped into my head was Republicans. (stream of consciousness and all) Not management ( though that was a good analogy), but Republicans. I am now going to duck behind you to avoid all the knives, arrows, blades that will be thrown in my direction. No one will dare throw anything in your direction, will they?

And was that you yesterday with all the "moved" threads? Oh, to be omnipotent like you! Sigh.
Where the heck is the edge of this blanket? When I get out from under here, we're having words, helen!:wink2: