Somali pirates

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I disagree. Like any other terrorist, the pirates are cowards who prey upon unarmed innocents. Shoot back, and they'll go away. Very hard to defend an inflatable boat from armed guards shooting down on you from the decks of a freighter.

I think our President should place small teams of soldiers on-board some American flagged ships in the area for a while. The pirates will learn to leave US ships alone after their shot up a couple of times. Just the thought that a US ship *may* have soldiers on board will be a great deterrent!

I realize that you are not one of the most infomed members on this board, and still rank higher in intellect than UPS lifer, but maybe you dont realize that most of the ships that travel thru there dont FLY THE AMERICAN FLAG, but are navigated by american crews.

Thats the problem with this thread, political rhetoric takes over and those on the right side of the dial speak from positions of ignorance vs. facts.

Most of the ships are flagged out of other countries...there are many reasons for that. Too many for explanation on this thread.

But its time to really spend some time researching maritime laws and international water travel.

How many times do you folks need to hear that there are international maritime laws that prevent guns on ships, or armed personnel on ships, or that somalia has soveriegn waters...etc etc etc..

Same old political rhetoric. Obama did what he needed to do, dont overreact, dont be hasty, dont shoot first and ask questions later, he wore the pirates down, got them to their weakest point as to where they were becoming sea sick, they ran out of gas, they managed to get a tow line on the boat, slowly pulling the life boat closer and closer, got one of the pirates to depart the boat, and when the time was right, took out the other three pirates (no matter what there age). captain rescued.

Those of you who say Obama took too long because thats what your programed to say by RUSH, BECK and FAUX news were willing to get the captain killed in order to satisfy your political rhetoric.

Get over it, a successful international incident for President Obama.

Something BUSH could never achieve.

:wink2:

over9five

Staff member
Wasn't it The Other Side who told us Mr Obama would solve that without firing a shot?

A lot of Liberals are now complaining that Obama is a warmonger!!! What do you think TOS? Are you disappointed in Mr Obama ordering those murders from half a world away? I'm not, in fact it gives me hope for the future!

PS TOS, Please try to post WITHOUT the petty personal attacks. Thanks!

moreluck

golden ticket member
"How many times do you folks need to hear that there are international maritime laws that prevent guns on ships, or armed personnel on ships, or that somalia has soveriegn waters...etc etc etc.."

Laws are changed all the time to adjust to modern circumstances. Maritime laws also can be changed.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wasn't it The Other Side who told us Mr Obama would solve that without firing a shot?

A lot of Liberals are now complaining that Obama is a warmonger!!! What do you think TOS? Are you disappointed in Mr Obama ordering those murders from half a world away? I'm not, in fact it gives me hope for the future!

PS TOS, Please try to post WITHOUT the petty personal attacks. Thanks!

Please cite the liberal person(s) who are calling Obama a war monger.

Once again, political jibberish that is completely false yet repeated by those without the brainpower to understand the reality.

Murders? Hmm, Bush killed thousands of civilians in Iraq and afghanistan, were those the same murders ordered from thousands of miles away??

:wink2:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
"How many times do you folks need to hear that there are international maritime laws that prevent guns on ships, or armed personnel on ships, or that somalia has soveriegn waters...etc etc etc.."

Laws are changed all the time to adjust to modern circumstances. Maritime laws also can be changed.[/QUOTE]

DUH!:wink2:

over9five

Staff member
To all:

I don't like to moderate in threads I am participating in, but TOS has insulted me twice, once after I asked him to stop with the personal attacks.

TOS will now be moderated before his posts are visible to the forum.

moreluck

golden ticket member
TOS needs to quit changing the size of our printed responses. It makes it seem that TOS is the level-headed sound of reason and everybody else is a screaming raving maniac. Large letters denote yelling in my book.

Cochise

Banned
Facts have never seem to form the basis for a belief on this forum. There is a lot of talk about what should be done and not much on what can be done. There is even less discussion on why the Somali pirates exist in the first place.

I'll try to be as concise as possible.

The pirates are based on land. They are based in what used to be fishing villages. They used to be. They are no longer fishing villages because there are no more fish. There are no more fish because the countries whose ships navigate those waters also have fisshing fleets that have decimated the fishing industry, illegally, it should be noted.

On top of destroying the livlihood of the fishing villages, that area has become a popular dumping ground for unregulated nuclear waste.

Toss in a non function government, and a Marxist government (Ethiopia)exerting a great deal of controll over what hapens in Somalia, and you have a situation that has become uncontrollable.

Most ports will not allow an armed vessal to dock, most ships are manned by the least number of crewman required to operate them, and usually having more than one nationality among the crew. The shipping companies have taken some steps to combat pirates, but the solution, as i mentioned before, lies on the land.

As far as changing maritime law, good luck with that.

Cochise

Banned
To all:

I don't like to moderate in threads I am participating in, but TOS has insulted me twice, once after I asked him to stop with the personal attacks.

TOS will now be moderated before his posts are visible to the forum.
He did nothing more than you do. You say 'a lot of liberals' as if to infer it is being discussed in the news or liberal blogs, and then say 'it's just people I know' when asked for a citation.

I think the mod powers have gone a bit too far in this case.

wkmac

Care to address the validity of the comment, or is this an ad-hominem meant to discredit what i have to say?

If that was a rant I hope to see more of it! We seem to want to ignore the 1980's and how not only did we fuel OBL via Pakistan's ISI against the Soviets for purposes of achieving Cold War Emperial Supremacy (ignoring the fact we created the Soviet monster also) but that also during that time we fueled the maniac Saddam Huissein as our battlefield proxy against the Iranians who had the gaul to be proactive in avoiding another possible 1953' Operation Ajax.

Also in an earlier post you said this:

The pirates are based on land. They are based in what used to be fishing villages. They used to be. They are no longer fishing villages because there are no more fish. There are no more fish because the countries whose ships navigate those waters also have fisshing fleets that have decimated the fishing industry, illegally, it should be noted.

Earlier today I read this that spoke along those same lines.

Some commentators, of course, point out that the current piracy epidemic has sprung up largely in response to local fishermen’s loss of livelihood due to foreign fishing in Somali territorial waters - not to mention the collapse of the only relatively stable Somali government of the last fifteen years following the U.S.-backed Ethiopian invasion of 2006.[/QUOTE]

More American Blowback!

:peaceful:

drewed

Shankman
I disagree. Like any other terrorist, the pirates are cowards who prey upon unarmed innocents. Shoot back, and they'll go away. Very hard to defend an inflatable boat from armed guards shooting down on you from the decks of a freighter.

I think our President should place small teams of soldiers on-board some American flagged ships in the area for a while. The pirates will learn to leave US ships alone after their shot up a couple of times. Just the thought that a US ship *may* have soldiers on board will be a great deterrent!
There really arent that many US flagged ships out there, the US requires all personnell on a US flagged vessel to be citizens so it cuts down the pool of deckhand you could have, also I believe wmak is correct putting soldiers on bored would make it a military vessel and open a whole new can of worms

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Care to address the validity of the comment, or is this an ad-hominem meant to discredit what i have to say?

Nothing except that this thread started out as a current event with little if any political association. Then it went down the political path.

My original post about Clinton was not meant to be political and once you made it political, I should have used my better judgment and not participated in this thread any longer.

As far as discrediting what you had to say, see the above. I do not participate in the political rantings so common in Current Events except to take a few pokes at the uselessness of it.

Peace brother.:peaceful:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Nothing except that this thread started out as a current event with little if any political association. Then it went down the political path.

My original post about Clinton was not meant to be political and once you made it political, I should have used my better judgment and not participated in this thread any longer.
Go ahead, pull the other one :happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
He did nothing more than you do. You say 'a lot of liberals' as if to infer it is being discussed in the news or liberal blogs, and then say 'it's just people I know' when asked for a citation.

I think the decision was justified. every single TOS post is insulting and obnoxious.

UPS Lifer

I think the decision was justified. every single TOS post is insulting and obnoxious.

I couldn't agree with you more. POS really likes to point that flame thrower at anyone who does not agree with POS point of view!

It is amazing how a non-partisan thread such as this becomes polarized when POS gives her "humble" opinion! LOL!:whiteflag:

over9five

Staff member

Really? That's quite the statement from someone who has only been with us a couple of weeks...

So you think I was being deceptive with the liberals comment? Well, Cochise, don't be deceptive (like mean ol' Over9five). How 'bout you tell the forum some of the other IDs you've had here at Brown Cafe? I think they'd love to know. Why did you even come up with 'Cochise'? We hadn't banned your last name (yet).

Your opinion that I was deceptive is clearly not the same thing as The Other Side throwin' flames in nearly every post he made.

Cochise

Banned
By invoking Clinton's name when refering to Osama's still be alive, I would say you turned it political.

As far as discrediting what you had to say, see the above. I do not participate in the political rantings so common in Current Events except to take a few pokes at the uselessness of it.

Peace brother.:peaceful: