Something that really annoys me on Brown Cafe...

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
So, we encourage new members to take advantage of the search function to search for existing threads rather than start a new thread but we should delete existing threads so new members will start new threads about topics already discussed but deleted.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So, we encourage new members to take advantage of the search function to search for existing threads rather than start a new thread but we should delete existing threads so new members will start new threads about topics already discussed but deleted.

If it meant that certain members wouldn't bump them just to say "hi" one another---yes.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Deleting/archiving inactive threads that are at least 1 year old would eliminate this. Yes, Cheryl has added an "This thread is more than a year old..." disclaimer, but that doesn't seem to be working.
Good idea.
In addition, the moderators could issue warnings to chronic offenders, snd if the behavior persists the mods could just automatically move off-topic banter and one-line text messages between the offenders to the "meaningless fluff" thread where it belongs. That isnt censorship; it is simple forum housekeeping and making sure that posts go to the appropriate folder.

soberups

It serves no purpose to encourage new members to use the "search" function when it takes them to a thread that has been necroposted or clogged up with off-topic babble. They wont keep searching; they will just leave Brown Cafe entirely.

soberups

Who p* in your Cheerios this morning?
No one.
Its something that has been on my mind for a while now and I havent taken the time to say anything until today.
All I am trying to do is have a civil discussion about forum etiquette, and what is best for Brown Cafe.

Johney

It doesn't upset me, it annoys me.

My annoyance isnt really important. What IS important, in my opinion, is to get new members to stay here at Brown Cafe and contribute. Which they wont do if they feel like their threads will get hijacked or their time will be wasted. Just my opinion.
If new members can't come on here and take a little abuse and suck it up or better give a little back until they reach that "status" of dealing with it then they will never survive being an employee at UPS. We all have taken :censored2: on here and given it, yet we are still here.

soberups

To anyone who is feeling picked on or singled out by this thread, I would like to point one thing out; I have not named ANY names or criticized any one person. So if you are having those feelings perhaps you should ask yourself why.

Johney

Good idea.
In addition, the moderators could issue warnings to chronic offenders, snd if the behavior persists the mods could just automatically move off-topic banter and one-line text messages between the offenders to the "meaningless fluff" thread where it belongs. That isnt censorship; it is simple forum housekeeping and making sure that posts go to the appropriate folder.
So change things cause you may find it annoying? What about others who like it, find it funny or amusing? That doesn't matter as long as you're not annoyed? SMH.

soberups

If new members can't come on here and take a little abuse and suck it up or better give a little back until they reach that "status" of dealing with it then they will never survive being an employee at UPS. We all have taken :censored2: on here and given it, yet we are still here.
Its not about abuse or sucking it up. Its about the perception that BrownCafe will be a waste of their time.

Johney

Its not about abuse or sucking it up. Its about the perception that BrownCafe will be a waste of their time.
If you've spent any time on other forums(I have)this is the norm. "Newbies" as their called get crap until they reach a certain point of either taking it or giving it. Much like rookie drivers doing their time. Please don't tell me you don't give the rookie drivers a small level of crap? Waaaa! sober gave me crap I'm quitting! Please.

soberups

So change things cause you may find it annoying? What about others who like it, find it funny or amusing? That doesn't matter as long as you're not annoyed? SMH.
If the majority of Brown Cafe members enjoy necroposts and watching 2 people text message one liners to each other that have nothing to do with the original topic of the thread, then I guess I will have to accept that.
But this isnt just about me. Call me weird but I like seeing new members come to Brown Cafe and Iike it when they stick around and contribute. Which they wont do if they feel that the forum is a waste of time.

soberups

If you've spent any time on other forums(I have)this is the norm. "Newbies" as their called get crap until they reach a certain point of either taking it or giving it. Much like rookie drivers doing their time. Please don't tell me you don't give the rookie drivers a small level of crap? Waaaa! sober gave me crap I'm quitting! Please.
None of the other forums that I belong to allow constant necroposting, or continous thread hijacking, or constantly clogging up threads with irrelevant text messages. It is, in my opinion, inconsiderate to do these things. If the majority disagrees with me then thats fine. I suspect that the majority probably does not disagree with me.

Johney

Total: 732 (members: 298, guests: 306, robots: 128) Just copied from the front page. I don't see a problem with new members lurking. We all did it.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
This may be true on whatever other forums you participate on, but not on the other forum I admin. It's a support forum for parents where most of the members are women. Hazing newbies has never happened on that forum. Not even once since I took over as admin in 2007.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I think the concerns brought up in this thread are valid. Just like the concerns brought up by other members are.

When I want one liners, banter and fun I know which thread to go to. When I want to learn or read about something else that interests me I also know where to go.

So, each type of discussion has its place... No? This is not to say each thread can't have a little fun but I think we're talking about a little more than that here.

Johney

This may be true on whatever other forums you participate on, but not on the other forum I admin. It's a support forum for parents where most of the members are women. Hazing newbies has never happened on that forum. Not even once since I took over as admin in 2007.
Those types of forums I would not expect that type of behavior. There is a difference maybe I should have said that.

Johney

I think the concerns brought up in this thread are valid. Just like the concerns brought up by other members are.

When I want one liners, banter and fun I know which thread to go to. When I want to learn or read about something else that interests me I also know where to go.

So, each type of discussion has its place... No? This is not to say each thread can't have a little fun but I think we're talking about a little more than that here.
So what is the answer? Ban veteran members for being post happy so we can maybe get new members? Where do you draw the line? Sounds like a whole bunch of Mod work to me then.

billerz

As one new member I'll put my two cents in.

I do like the hazing and inside jokes that the older members have, it brings a sense of family to the forum. I honesty find the necroposting to be stupid, I will see a "new thread", click on it, realize what happened, then go back.

As far as thread derailing, it is what it is. Someone can always just quote the OP to give their opinion.