Southern Supplement, Preload Start Time

pale

Covered under the Southern Supplement, based in Florida if that makes a difference.

Our hub sends out a mass group text for preload start time, rather than a posted schedule, and commonly it comes around 4-5pm the day before. So say, get a text on Tuesday at 5 to come in Wednesday at 330am.

Today, got a text at 2:30pm for a preload start time at 1am tomorrow (Monday)

I've dug through the Master and the SOU supplement several times in the past (coming up on my 3rd year as preload) and can only find information relating to full timers.

My question is, can anyone let me know where I happen to be overlooking a formal format for how preload should recieve their start time, or the issue with being given 9ish hours notice for our start time tomorrow?

pale

It's peak. Deal with it.
Trust me, dealt with alot worse in even worse conditions. But when our supervisor has a habit of not sending out start times in a timely manner and flip flopping the report time 2-3 hours earlier than told, it gets to be a bit of an issue.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I agree with you if it is a regular occurrence outside of peak season.

Pick the time to fight your battles.

pale

Yeah, peaks somewhat understandable. I've just been documenting it recently to bring it up in the future and would like to know where I can find the official language, because as I said before I can't find anything in my hard copies or searching in the PDF copies.

Mostly stocking everything up because no matter how punctual you are there's gonna be a day you come in late. Couple dozen instances of large changes with less than 6 hours notice, and no posted schedule might at least help with a defense when the sup hands out a write-up for it

542thruNthru

@542thruNthru, help this guy out.

giphy-136.gif

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Covered under the Southern Supplement, based in Florida if that makes a difference.

Our hub sends out a mass group text for preload start time, rather than a posted schedule, and commonly it comes around 4-5pm the day before. So say, get a text on Tuesday at 5 to come in Wednesday at 330am.

Today, got a text at 2:30pm for a preload start time at 1am tomorrow (Monday)

I've dug through the Master and the SOU supplement several times in the past (coming up on my 3rd year as preload) and can only find information relating to full timers.

My question is, can anyone let me know where I happen to be overlooking a formal format for how preload should recieve their start time, or the issue with being given 9ish hours notice for our start time tomorrow?
Why dont you call the local business agent that covers your building and ask them?
Did you ask any stewards?
I dont understand why you are coming here to get an answer for a problem that your local can fix.

D

Deleted member 77202

Everyday -- whether it's peak or not -- preload start times (and how many employees are asked to work) are based on the projected volume for that day.

The Supervisor will receive this figure the day before and then based on that will determine a start time and how many people they need for that day.

They have a corporate procedure they have to follow. For example, if the projected volume for the next day is over 10,000, they must call in this many employees, if it's under 10,000, then they are only allowed to call in this number of employees.
That projected number is super important because based on it and it alone, the Supervisor decides how many delivery routes will be running that day, how many drivers they will need, etc. AND what the next day's start time will be.

You ain't gonna change their notification procedure, so don't waste your time trying. Accept it and be grateful they want you to come in.

Everyday -- whether it's peak or not -- preload start times (and how many employees are asked to work) are based on the projected volume for that day.

The Supervisor will receive this figure the day before and then based on that will determine a start time and how many people they need for that day.

They have a corporate procedure they have to follow. For example, if the projected volume for the next day is over 10,000, they must call in this many employees, if it's under 10,000, then they are only allowed to call in this number of employees.
That projected number is super important because based on it and it alone, the Supervisor decides how many delivery routes will be running that day, how many drivers they will need, etc. AND what the next day's start time will be.

You ain't gonna change their notification procedure, so don't waste your time trying. Accept it and be grateful they want you to come in.
Funny that every other preload in the country has a weekly schedule. Sounds more like an excuse to me.

542thruNthru

Yeah..... half that was supervisor BS.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

If the volume projected is 40,000: My pen gets 800 pieces and it gets done in 5 hours. If the volume projected is 80,000: My pen gets 800 pieces and it gets done in 5 hours.
If drivers have to load overflow pieces. My 5 hours gets reduced at a rate of 1/2 of all driver sort hours in my pen. At an extra labor loss of approximately $1 per minute.

D

Deleted member 77202

What I said about the projected volume determining start times, etc. in my previous post may be a bunch of bull, but it's all I've ever heard from every supervisor since the day I started there.

And there's nothing worse than being in your car driving to work and a few minutes before you arrive there, a supervisor texts you and says the volume came in lighter than projected and they don't need you to come in to work that day.
So, yes, I am very grateful that I get called in to work.

Nah
What I said about the projected volume determining start times, etc. in my previous post may be a bunch of bull, but it's all I've ever heard from every supervisor since the day I started there.

Call your business agent and ask how scheduling is supposed to be done. Supervisors will tell you any lie that they think you will believe.

D

Deleted member 77202

The building I work in doesn't post a weekly schedule; a part-time Supervisor texts the starting time to every employee everyday.