Southwest Package Rider

542thruNthru

All I know is that I want LESS money. 55 hours a weeks for years is too much. Yes, I know I'm selfish. If the part timers dont want 22.4 wages, dont take the job.

Also I know reading the contract is hard but there is this thing call 9.5 you can get on. Then you won't work 55 hours a week.

DOK

Funny I been saying that all along. The 22.4 is also a upgrade from the cover driver language and most of all the retiree language gets a huge bump if all the contracts pass. It’s important to take care of our retirees in the Southwest because they have taken care of us.
It is an upgrade to TCD language.

I was a TCD for 5 years. I wish I had those 5 years of ft credit to my pension benefits.

You get part time pension with those years as a TCD.

DOK

Funny I been saying that all along. The 22.4 is also a upgrade from the cover driver language and most of all the retiree language gets a huge bump if all the contracts pass. It’s important to take care of our retirees in the Southwest because they have taken care of us.
It is an upgrade to TCD language.

I was a TCD for 5 years. I wish I had those 5 years of ft credit to my pension benefits.
The point still remains that I don't agree with 22.4s and there really shouldn't be a reason for this language. I'm just happy to know that bases have been covered if this NMA passes.
Because we been using Cover drivers who are similar to the 22.4 that language doesn’t scare me like other areas. They could have rolled over loads this contract and didn’t. The 8 hour 5 consecutive protection has always been the key. The retiree language and taken care of them in the Southwest is HUGE. A no vote could take away and screw them. What are your feelings on that?

Cover drivers wages in our supplement are exactly the same as fulltime driver, and when they eventually get a fulltime bid their wage stays the same, they don’t have to go through progression again.

Smashmouth

We already have had a two tier driver (Called cover driver) put in the riders way back in 1997 when Ron Carey was President. The new 22.4 language is an upgrade because they get full time pension contributions that will add up to $129,000 over the life of the contract if they work their full 2080 hours for contribution. They also have never had and 9.5 language and forced to work weekends. How is that for food for thought.

Yeah I know all too well about the Cover Driver language...it was or local president who came up witht the idea and spouted off all the time about how good it was going to be...until it wasnt...and its been in our supplement(southern) longer then 1997 because ive been full time for 25 and I was stuck as a cover driver for three or so years before that working full time hours with part time benefits. But there is still cover driver language in our new supplement...so now we get screwed with both cover drivers and 22.4!!...and so they get full time pension credit...how many of them you think will ever see their pension, as they will be worked to death with no 9.5 protection and the first ones forced to work 70 when that applies....There is a REASON that the 30 and 35 year pension got a $400 bump and the 25 year pension didnt...because UPS KNOWS there will be very few people ever collecting those!...With the trucks jammed with stops and the larger packages coming in, this next generation will be lucky to make 25!

Smashmouth

All I know is that I want LESS money. 55 hours a weeks for years is too much. Yes, I know I'm selfish. If the part timers dont want 22.4 wages, dont take the job.

Since you want LESS money, why dont you take the 22.4 job?.....Oh....what?...there’s no way you’d bust your ass like you do everyday for $6 less per hour???....let alone the $16 difference if they are new hires.....Yeah, I didnt think so!!!

542thruNthru

Cover drivers wages in our supplement are exactly the same as fulltime driver, and when they eventually get a fulltime bid their wage stays the same, they don’t have to go through progression again.

Other the the same pay its the same here. Year as a Cover driver go towards progression and you're red circled at your rate till you reach progression.

Smashmouth

Cover drivers in our supplement still top out at 85% of top pay...the one plus they had in the last contract was that if the worked 156 reports(peak time counted as well)as a cover driver, the center had to add a new full time job. But this contract, November 1 to Dec 31 dont count towards qualification, so no more upgrades that way!

MangoMango

Since you want LESS money, why dont you take the 22.4 job?.....Oh....what?...there’s no way you’d bust your ass like you do everyday for $6 less per hour???....let alone the $16 difference if they are new hires.....Yeah, I didnt think so!!!
Less money from OT.

MangoMango

Another thing that many of the people I have talked to have said, are we willing to go on strike for people that have not even been hired yet?

Smashmouth

Less money from OT.

I get that, but youre missing the point...WOULD YOU do the job you do everyday for $6 less an hour? And $9 less on overtime??...if your center manager came to you tomorrow and said...”Hey bud, we are going to cut your pay $6 a hour” what would you do? But you’re cool with others getting less for doing the same job? There are much better solutions the company could come up with to relieve your OT then pay people less to do the same job.

542thruNthru

Another thing that many of the people I have talked to have said, are we willing to go on strike for people that have not even been hired yet?

Tell me which 22.4 hasn't been hired yet. It will be filled by the PT ranks. Also yes I'm will to strike for the ones that will come after me. I'm not a giant vagina.

Current 9.5 language is weak. It should be instant payout. No filing required.

Yes it should be but the union decided not to because they are selfish. You know what that's like right? Go on 9.5 if you want less OT. You'll never get a 40hr work week.

542thruNthru

I get that, but youre missing the point...WOULD YOU do the job you do everyday for $6 less an hour? And $9 less on overtime??...if your center manager came to you tomorrow and said...”Hey bud, we are going to cut your pay $6 a hour” what would you do? But you’re cool with others getting less for doing the same job? There are much better solutions the company could come up with to relieve your OT then pay people less to do the same job.

He only cares about himself but expects us to feel sorry for his over time woes.

dogs.bite.me

What are you talking about? A TCD when working inside gets their part time rate, could be 12/hr. This is going to bump them to 20.50 and eventually exceed TCD rate.
Not to mention the become Full time and get full time pension benefits rather than wasting away doing TCD work and only getting part time benefits.

MangoMango

Tell me which 22.4 hasn't been hired yet. It will be filled by the PT ranks. Also yes I'm will to strike for the ones that will come after me. I'm not a giant vagina.

Yes it should be but the union decided not to because they are selfish. You know what that's like right? Go on 9.5 if you want less OT. You'll never get a 40hr work week.

MangoMango

Do you have a crystal ball to know where they are going to come from? At my center, they were down to 1 year seniority because none of the senior part timers wanted driving.