Southwest Package Rider

Smashmouth

What are you talking about? A TCD when working inside gets their part time rate, could be 12/hr. This is going to bump them to 20.50 and eventually exceed TCD rate.

In our supplement, TCDs drive, the only time they would work inside first is if they worked preload and then someone called out to necessitate them being used as a TCD, at which time their whole paid day would be at the TCD rate....and once these 22.4 drivers top out...do you really think UPS is gonna use them to load or unload for $30+ an hour? Those guys are going to be driving all day and eliminating every single second of RPCD overtime.

542thruNthru

Do you have a crystal ball to know where they are going to come from? At my center, they were down to 1 year seniority because none of the senior part timers wanted driving.

The fact still remains that they will be union brothers/sisters and they will do the same job as you and paid less for it. Also they will have a legitimate reason to cry about OT because unlike you. They won't have 9.5 protection.

dogs.bite.me

In our supplement, TCDs drive, the only time they would work inside first is if they worked preload and then someone called out to necessitate them being used as a TCD, at which time their whole paid day would be at the TCD rate....and once these 22.4 drivers top out...do you really think UPS is gonna use them to load or unload for $30+ an hour? Those guys are going to be driving all day and eliminating every single second of RPCD overtime.
Not here
Only hours driving are TCD rate

I doubled (preloaded then drove) for a long time!

Smashmouth

Another thing that many of the people I have talked to have said, are we willing to go on strike for people that have not even been hired yet?

First of all...a NO vote doesnt mean a strike...lets clear that up right now...is there a chance it could end in a strike...yes...but id put that at about the same chance as me winning the lotto...UPS doesnt want a strike, the Teamsters obviously dont want a strike, hence the extension we are now currently under. The most logical thing that would happen is that they would keep the extension in place and go back to the bargaining table. But they are hoping you blink first!
And secondly...if ALL THE PEOPLE that came before you had said “Ahh friend#*% the new guys” What would you have gotten?? The union would have been dead long ago. I know in this “ME” “MINE” generation the concept of fighting for something that is for the greater good and not just whats good for you is hard to comprehend, but thats what a union is supposed to be about.

MangoMango

First of all...a NO vote doesnt mean a strike...lets clear that up right now...is there a chance it could end in a strike...yes...but id put that at about the same chance as me winning the lotto...UPS doesnt want a strike, the Teamsters obviously dont want a strike, hence the extension we are now currently under. The most logical thing that would happen is that they would keep the extension in place and go back to the bargaining table. But they are hoping you blink first!
And secondly...if ALL THE PEOPLE that came before you had said “Ahh friend#*% the new guys” What would you have gotten?? The union would have been dead long ago. I know in this “ME” “MINE” generation the concept of fighting for something that is for the greater good and not just whats good for you is hard to comprehend, but thats what a union is supposed to be about.
Ups and the union want 22.4's. How can we fight both?

Smashmouth

Not here
Only hours driving are TCD rate

I doubled (preloaded then drove) for a long time!

We filed greivances on that, because the company knew they were going to need you to drive. In fact they were greived by the part timer, because they should have been a TCD all day, and greived by a full timer because he should have been called to fill the vacant preload spot they were using the TCD in...made lots of money off those!

Smashmouth

Ups and the union want 22.4's. How can we fight both?

By voting no and telling the union that they obviously werent listening to the members when they came up with this crap. Look the 22.4 is a big issue, but there is plenty more wrong with this contract. The company just got a 16 billion...thats a B...in tax money back from the republican tax plan...if the took one quarter of that and gave us a kick ass contract...theyd still be up 12 billion. Money they werent even counting on. This contract is costing them nothing.

MangoMango

Any of you talked to feeder drivers? Most of the ones I have talked to like the idea of the 22.4's putting money into the pension.

dogs.bite.me

Just a question.

How many of you guys are in centers with FT pkg drivers working double shifts to get their guaranteed 8? I know I have a few drivers doing that where I’m at. Curious about you guys.

My BA says all his centers are over staffed with ft drivers

Smashmouth

Just a question.

How many of you guys are in centers with FT pkg drivers working double shifts to get their guaranteed 8? I know I have a few drivers doing that where I’m at. Curious about you guys.

My BA says all his centers are over staffed with ft drivers

We use every cover driver we have almost everyday, no FT have to bump split shifts...we need more FT drivers. They had to make three cover drivers full time last year in our center because they worked more then 156 reports as cover drivers..and have a couple on their way to that again this year....except the new supplement changes to language.

Smashmouth

Any of you talked to feeder drivers? Most of the ones I have talked to like the idea of the 22.4's putting money into the pension.
Well :censored2:, who wouldnt like the idea of more money going in the pension! Still, better ways to do it then to :censored2: on a whole classification of FT employees to benefit the rest of us. Again, company got a 16 Billion dollar tax refund...SPEND SOME MONEY!...REWARD YOUR PEOPLE!

dogs.bite.me

We use every cover driver we have almost everyday, no FT have to bump split shifts...we need more FT drivers. They had to make three cover drivers full time last year in our center because they worked more then 156 reports as cover drivers..and have a couple on their way to that again this year....except the new supplement changes to language.

how about those who fall under this southern agreement? I mean I get it, you dont like the 22.4. Its new. Many are scared of change and new.

In my building, there would be no way a 22.4 is driving regularly T-S. There are too many RPCD's doubleshifting..

There are a few TCD's for heavy summer days when a lot of people are off, but other than that, our TCD's arent working.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Tell me which 22.4 hasn't been hired yet. It will be filled by the PT ranks.
I don't see how you can make that assertion when part timers in many areas are turning down the opportunity to be Regular Package Car Drivers???
Why would they find these 22.4 jobs more desirable???

When people first started posting about it on this site, I simply didn't believe it, but now I am seeing it for myself in my building.

We have had RPCD jobs go to off street candidates because not enough part timers sign the intent lists.

Last edited:

DOK

You get part time pension with those years as a TCD.
Ya

What good does that do when I go FT?

Well in some supplements every 2 years parttime counts as 1 year fulltime when figuring out years of service for retirement age. Also you would get a pension from ups for your parttime years. Friend of mine worked 8 years parttime before going driving, he’s supposed to get about $500 per month from that.

dogs.bite.me

I don't see how you can make that assertion when part timers in many areas are turning down the opportunity to be Regular Package Car Drivers???
Why would they find these 22.4 jobs more desirable???

When people first started posting about it here, I simply didn't believe it, but now see it for myself in my building.

We have had RPCD jobs go to off street candidates because not enough part timers signed the intent list.

Down here we have PT clamoring for the opportunity to drive.

dogs.bite.me

Well in some supplements every 2 years parttime counts as 1 year fulltime when figuring out years of service for retirement age. Also you would get a pension from ups for your parttime years. Friend of mine worked 8 years parttime before going driving, he’s supposed to get about $500 per month from that.
would have much rather had 5 years FT pension credit rather than 2.5. Just sayin

LagunaBrown

Just to be fair a no vote could hurt the retiree package we have on the table for all the old times that got us taken care of. Unlimited cap on retiree healthcare is no joke and s huge benifit especially when you have a PEER 80 Retirement Package like we do. Right now it’s $500,000 life time cap and they are one medical emergency away from bankruptcy. A retiree worked too hard all those years to loose their pension, house and 401k to a uncontrollable illness. No cap like the actives have have is a superior retiree benefit and can not be taken lightly. Remember this is a some thing that protects a retiree and unborns alike.