Southwest Package Rider

542thruNthru

I don't see how you can make that assertion when part timers in many areas are turning down the opportunity to be Regular Package Car Drivers???
Why would they find these 22.4 jobs more desirable???

When people first started posting about it on this site, I simply didn't believe it, but now I am seeing it for myself in my building.

We have had RPCD jobs go to off street candidates because not enough part timers sign the intent lists.

I made the classic mistake of assuming everywhere was like my building. We have tons of PT workers that will take a RPCD job and even a 22.4.

Mainly they will take the 22.4 job because they don't know any better. They don't realize what the job is like.

542thruNthru

But know there is no guarantee you won’t get a reduced benefits either with a no vote. There is risk involved.

In all honesty I feel it's worth the risk. %25 22.4 is unacceptable and potentially dangerous for drivers. If we don't fight this now what happens if the company wants 35%. Do we say no then? Where does it become acceptable to say no to a two tier wage scale?

Smashmouth

Just to be fair a no vote could hurt the retiree package we have on the table for all the old times that got us taken care of. Unlimited cap on retiree healthcare is no joke and s huge benifit especially when you have a PEER 80 Retirement Package like we do. Right now it’s $500,000 life time cap and they are one medical emergency away from bankruptcy. A retiree worked too hard all those years to loose their pension, house and 401k to a uncontrollable illness. No cap like the actives have have is a superior retiree benefit and can not be taken lightly. Remember this is a some thing that protects a retiree and unborns alike.

How could a NO vote hurt the retirees unless when going back to the bargaining table UPS wanted to change that...I dont think if we voted NO they would come back with an offer to make the contract worse!...and so if these old timers “took care of us” then arent we supposed to “take care” of the young guys and not vote in a substandard contract that pays them less for the same work??

DOK

First of all...a NO vote doesnt mean a strike...lets clear that up right now...is there a chance it could end in a strike...yes...but id put that at about the same chance as me winning the lotto...UPS doesnt want a strike, the Teamsters obviously dont want a strike, hence the extension we are now currently under. The most logical thing that would happen is that they would keep the extension in place and go back to the bargaining table. But they are hoping you blink first!
And secondly...if ALL THE PEOPLE that came before you had said “Ahh friend#*% the new guys” What would you have gotten?? The union would have been dead long ago. I know in this “ME” “MINE” generation the concept of fighting for something that is for the greater good and not just whats good for you is hard to comprehend, but thats what a union is supposed to be about.
Just to be fair a no vote could hurt the retiree package we have on the table for all the old times that got us taken care of. Unlimited cap on retiree healthcare is no joke and s huge benifit especially when you have a PEER 80 Retirement Package like we do. Right now it’s $500,000 life time cap and they are one medical emergency away from bankruptcy. A retiree worked too hard all those years to loose their pension, house and 401k to a uncontrollable illness. No cap like the actives have have is a superior retiree benefit and can not be taken lightly. Remember this is a some thing that protects a retiree and unborns alike.

If we vote no I don’t see them coming back with a worse offer.

542thruNthru

How could a NO vote hurt the retirees unless when going back to the bargaining table UPS wanted to change that...I dont think if we voted NO they would come back with an offer to make the contract worse!...and so if these old timers “took care of us” then arent we supposed to “take care” of the young guys and not vote in a substandard contract that pays them less for the same work??

I don't think it's that they would take stuff away I believe that they would move money around. Like the pension increase would be moved to pay 22.4 drivers the same rate as a RPCD.

The company and union would just focus on what we are angry about and work to fix just that and take from other areas.

Smashmouth

I don't think it's that they would take stuff away I believe that they would move money around. Like the pension increase would be moved to pay 22.4 drivers the same rate as a RPCD.

The company and union would just focus on what we are angry about and work to fix just that and take from other areas.

In my opinion, that $400 bump in the pension is a sucker bet anyway, like i said in a previous post, they know there arent many that will make it to 30 and 35 years, so offering and extra $400 to those few that do, really doesnt cost them much. Again like i said earlier, why didnt they bump the 25 year pension? Because its a more realistic number that most drivers can make. I know Im not going to make another 5 years to make 30 full time...I want to get out while I can still walk!

LagunaBrown

In all honesty I feel it's worth the risk. %25 22.4 is unacceptable and potentially dangerous for drivers. If we don't fight this now what happens if the company wants 35%. Do we say no then? Where does it become acceptable to say no to a two tier wage scale?
Like I explained you already have a two tier driver in you rider since 1997. They will only hire as many 22.4 as Saturday routes otherwise they will owe them a guarantee on Saturday if overstaffed. In most cases it won’t even reach 25%. But the unknown is always scary.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
Like I explained you already have a two tier driver in you rider since 1997. They will only hire as many 22.4 as Saturday routes otherwise they will owe them a guarantee on Saturday if overstaffed. In most cases it won’t even reach 25%. But the unknown is always scary.
Enlighten me. What two tiered drivers do we already have?

LagunaBrown

Let’s say you get a yes vote for your rider but a no vote in the national. The dollar amount could change the national and reduce benefits in the rider.

Smashmouth

Let’s say you get a yes vote for your rider but a no vote in the national. The dollar amount could change he national and reduce benefits in the rider.

LMAO...Our southern supplement sucks so bad they couldnt reduce the benefits any further! There is no mention of retirees in our southern rider.....But if you get a yes vote on your rider, wouldnt the benefits listed within that rider be set in stone, no matter what happened with the master. If the master ended up changing benefit numbers in the rider, they would have to re vote that as well.

542thruNthru

Yes I understand that and you and I both know Cover Drivers were never meant to work everyday. They turned cover drivers into utility driver and the union allowed it.

Again like I've said. Fool me once shame on me. Fool me twice shame on you.

Just because cover drivers are here doesn't mean 22.4 should be allowed. They need more FT drivers then make them. Other then the pension increase I don't understand why you're so for this. Were you ever a CD? Did it take you 10 years to go fulltime?

LagunaBrown

Nope My bad. Keep spewing your crap. I’m out.
You can read section 38 of the Southwest package rider where it explains we got a two tier driver under Ron Carey’s watch in 1997. What I post is truth and you guys are so in denial it’s crazy. I like how I give you a fact and you run away from the thread, call it crap or post a “funny emoji”. SMH

Last edited:

LagunaBrown

Yes I understand that and you and I both know Cover Drivers were never meant to work everyday. They turned cover drivers into utility driver and the union allowed it.

Again like I've said. Fool me once shame on me. Fool me twice shame on you.

Just because cover drivers are here doesn't mean 22.4 should be allowed. They need more FT drivers then make them. Other then the pension increase I don't understand why you're so for this. Were you ever a CD? Did it take you 10 years to go fulltime?
No I waited till FT position came up because I didn’t want to work for less. In the same token cover driver worked out for others that needed the money.
I addimited I’m not in love with the 22.4 but we have had a two tier system for 20 years already. For me the big deal is to lose out on the ultimated cap for retirees would be soooo bad for the members.

Last edited:

Smashmouth

So now we let them add another two tier driver?? Because we arent losing TCD in our supplement, so now we will have both. And when a TCD covers for a 22.4 driver when they are on vacation, does he/she make the lower wage of the 22.4 or still make the top rate of a TCD? And Saturday will end up being a driver sort and load for thes 22.4 drivers. And they also have the new “if work available clause” so easy to lay them off as well. And belive me, when this company gets the full green light for lower wage drivers on saturday, there will be plenty of saturday work. Its called advancing volume, and they do it all the time to us already.

542thruNthru

No I waited till FT position came up because I didn’t want to work for less. In the same token cover driver worked out for others that needed the money.

I'm sure it did work out for a few people but I have 14 CD in my center alone. Almost 60 in my building that work everyday. So that's 60 FT driving jobs that could have been. Pretty sure that would have worked out for everyone and simultaneously help the pension.

You said it yourself that you didn't want to work for less. Shouldn't you be on my side then my friend?