Spouse work transfer

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by S.F. Rush, Aug 23, 2019.

1. S.F. Rush

S.F. Rush All Encompassing Member

In the near future my wife may end up getting transferred in state for her job. Considering any hub in my region, the waitlist to transfer is many many years long. What am I supposed to do? Leave UPS as an uneducated 35 year old and work at Home Depot? :censored2: that! Is there anything UPS would offer/help me to stay within the company in the area my wife and kids would be relocating? Or am I just SOL? I’m not interested in starting over with no college degree in my mid-30’s. Heck, I’d even go into management if it meant I’d still be on the payroll. What you guys think?

2. Hadjabear

Hadjabear Member

Make your wife find other work?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. ibleedbrown

ibleedbrown Active Member

Talk to human resources. the union will tell you it's not possible. I know two people that transferred, both went through HR.

4. GenericUsername

GenericUsername Active Member

Unless your wife is making loads of money more than you, I think it's time you have a talk with your wife and let her know that you won't be able to afford your current lifestyle if you move as you'll have to leave your job. Obviously don't come off as a prick about it, but explain why you'd have to leave the company/etc. Hopefully she's understanding....

5. Feeder665

Feeder665 Go big or go home!

You can request a hardship transfer. I know of three people (two drivers and one full time sup) who have transferred because their spouses jobs were forcefully moved.

6. rod

rod retired and happy

Just follow her and her dreams and make her get 2 jobs. Then you can just bum around all day.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

That's probably the only way if your local does not allow transfers.

8. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Show her who wears the pants in the family by politely encouraging her to seek a gig local to her husband.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. iruhnman630

iruhnman630 Well-Known Member

One of the risks of this career.

10. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Get a new wife .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Dough99

Dough99 Member

12. Wally

Wally BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

All my wives knew the UPS job was stuck with no chance of moving out of the local. This should never be an issue unless wifey just is thinking about herself?

13. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

Looks like feeder and bleeder have good advice... good luck

14. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

Or, she’s tired of your B.S.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Wally

Nah.

16. Wally

Might screw up the pension after 15 years?

17. What is your position now?

18. Brown287

Brown287 Im not the Mail Man!

Nor Cal? If so, your transfer options are limited but not impossible. There are options, I know of Angels Camp, Santa Cruz, Salinas, San Jose and Stockton all taking transfers. One driver just transferred to Reno. With the push to Sunday deliveries pretty much all buildings will be hiring thus accepting transfers. Check with HR for the lists and then with your local for the restrictions

19. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

Only spousal transfer I know of in the contract is for military. Good luck man.

20. Feeder665

Feeder665 Go big or go home!

True, you’ll also lose your building seniority. However, you can keep your job and the majority of your benefits / time off accrued.

I’ve only seen one military spouse transfer. The other two were spouses work transfer. You basically have your spouse move first, then claim the hardship. That way the company is more compelled (not required mind you) to give you the transfer.

Like I said before, I have seen it three times. I also am in NorCal joint council 7 jurisdiction. We allow transfers in our JC but for some reason we are not part of the western conference transfer agreement.