Stand up Part-timers

Ron Carey lives on

If it is cool with you to walk by these teamsters like they are nothing, live with it. There are part timers in 89 waiting 20 years to better themselves

Sent using BrownCafe App

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Article 37 states No employees shall be intimidated, harassed, or coerced. As a driver who worked as a pre-loader for 9 years, you may work part-time, but can be a full-time teamster. You are being put in unsafe situations and talked to like dogs. FILE, FILE, FILE . You know who are, we will back you up

Sent using BrownCafe App
In my experience, supervisors who harass and talk down to part timers WANT them to get angry. I've seen it happen too many times. The employee fires back in the same manner, and they are written up for it.

I've had many supervisors get visibly angry at how apathetic I am to their harassment. I don't need to file, because I don't give a damn about a single word that comes out of their mouths.

Ron Carey lives on

Bug, im fully aware of the history of the afl-cio and teamsters. What im talking about is workshops and education for all members. You the crazy idea like "knowledge is power"

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Look at 97 when we were utilizing "the part-time America" to win good contracts.

@ UPS.

"97".... was a moment in history.

TDU, is still trying to relive it.

Thanks to O'bummer Care.... there are even more part-time jobs being created now.

Bug, im fully aware of the history of the afl-cio and teamsters. What im talking about is workshops and education for all members.

Uh....

That is what your Local Union does.

They are called "monthly meetings". They happen, every month.

And, special meetings for particular "crafts".

Just as an example....

Your Local can schedule Union Steward seminars, with the IBT.

I totally support, any efforts to get members (both part and full-time) involved.

But.... "You can lead a horse to water...."

-Bug-

Ron Carey lives on

Well bug thanks for those encouraging words, and news about my local. Anyways back to reality, again it will take us All to reform this weak and concessionary contract. When 10,000 new full time new jobs were created in 97 part-timers were excited and involved. Why wouldn't they drift off when they are treated as "the help" under hoffa/hall

Sent using BrownCafe App

jrh

Article 37 states No employees shall be intimidated, harassed, or coerced. As a driver who worked as a pre-loader for 9 years, you may work part-time, but can be a full-time teamster. You are being put in unsafe situations and talked to like dogs. FILE, FILE, FILE . You know who are, we will back you up

Sent using BrownCafe App

I just started in a hub this week as a loader. Is the probation period 30 days? I think I'm doing okay, and my supe has been pretty friendly but I can tell it's not in earnest. He's trying to push the part time supervisor position on every :censored2:in guy that was hired on this week; he must get some incentive for that.

Anyway, no respect for union rules of course. Work through break? Okay, no big deal it's a short shift. Today he sent me home at the three hour mark and I went along with it because I'm still on probation and I don't wanna push it. I said to him when he told me to clock out "I've still got 30 minutes left" and he just looked at me like I wasn't supposed to know my rights. So I smiled and said alright, for now buddy in as friendly a way as I could.

What's the worst he can actually do insofar as getting me fired? I'm always early and my numbers are around 250 but I can probably get up to 300 if I get a good scanner.
I'd appreciate any help, I really like the work and I'd like to keep doing it, even if it means working with money grubbing supervisors who're six years younger than me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I just started in a hub this week as a loader. Is the probation period 30 days? I think I'm doing okay, and my supe has been pretty friendly but I can tell it's not in earnest. He's trying to push the part time supervisor position on every :censored2:in guy that was hired on this week; he must get some incentive for that.

Anyway, no respect for union rules of course. Work through break? Okay, no big deal it's a short shift. Today he sent me home at the three hour mark and I went along with it because I'm still on probation and I don't wanna push it. I said to him when he told me to clock out "I've still got 30 minutes left" and he just looked at me like I wasn't supposed to know my rights. So I smiled and said alright, for now buddy in as friendly a way as I could.

What's the worst he can actually do insofar as getting me fired? I'm always early and my numbers are around 250 but I can probably get up to 300 if I get a good scanner.
I'd appreciate any help, I really like the work and I'd like to keep doing it, even if it means working with money grubbing supervisors who're six years younger than me.
If you are in your first 30 days...you have not made book yet. You are not entitled to your 3.5 hour guarantee. You will get sent home and like it.

Lartize

I am one of the more vocal PT's in my hub for the Union. My whole belt is at least somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to their rights. I really have no idea how many grievances I've filed.

Ive missed 11 days this year (13 counting snow days), I get a head's up Im on some list for missing work. Sure I miss some, but I got guys missing 3-4 days a week in my area. I talk to my steward, he assures me that they cant touch me if there are people missing way more then me.

I get notified last week, I am getting actually suspended, read not intention to suspend, but actually suspended. My Local Union leader guy tells me I have four (4) intention of discharges, I tell him dont they have to suspend the guys who miss me then me, he tells me I'm the only one who can make myself come to work.

I'm not saying I shouldnt have missed work, I'm saying.. if you are going to suspend me for missing 11 days, suspend everyone else that has missed 11 days, or dont suspend me.

I'm totally not feeling the whole "got your back" and "they can't retaliate".

Been at UPS 8 years, been paying dues since my third year.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I am one of the more vocal PT's in my hub for the Union. My whole belt is at least somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to their rights. I really have no idea how many grievances I've filed.

Ive missed 11 days this year (13 counting snow days), I get a head's up Im on some list for missing work. Sure I miss some, but I got guys missing 3-4 days a week in my area. I talk to my steward, he assures me that they cant touch me if there are people missing way more then me.

I get notified last week, I am getting actually suspended, read not intention to suspend, but actually suspended. My Local Union leader guy tells me I have four (4) intention of discharges, I tell him dont they have to suspend the guys who miss me then me, he tells me I'm the only one who can make myself come to work.

I'm not saying I shouldnt have missed work, I'm saying.. if you are going to suspend me for missing 11 days, suspend everyone else that has missed 11 days, or dont suspend me.

I'm totally not feeling the whole "got your back" and "they can't retaliate".

Been at UPS 8 years, been paying dues since my third year.
Two questions....how have you worked here for 8 years and only been paying dues for 5 years? Secondly.. of the 13 days you've missed this year....how many were paid sick days? Using your paid days off should not count against you for attendance purposes.

Lartize

Two questions....how have you worked here for 8 years and only been paying dues for 5 years? So, of the 13 days you've missed this year....how many were paid sick days?

Right to work state, we dont even have to pay dues here, but I do, to support the Union.

Two paid sick days
Two snow days that everyone missed
I still have an optional day they refuse to let me use.