Start Time?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Dorkhead & Geriatric, apparently that language isn't in the NMA. Here in Local 705 (and apparently 710) it's as Brownman & Iowaboy described. Here's a good opportunity to introduce yourself to your stewards/BAs and ask if it's in any local/regional riders, supplements, addenda, or letters of understanding. Or a past practice that is being neglected. BTW, always keep track of your hours worked!

Bingo!!!

Hondo, your much smarter than your avatar lead me to believe.
This issue, like so many others, vary greatly from supplement to supplement.
This forum is not the most reliable source of information regarding contractual issues.
Know your local and regional supplements before concerning yourself with NMA language.
When in doubt consult your local union representatives.

bumped

I'm in a center with 13 routes and a driver sort and load. Start times vary by three hours depending upon your duties on the sort and load and whether you have a town route or extended (rural) route.

We have the language about posting on Friday for the next week. They adjust as needed and claim it as an "Act of God" which is allowed in the contract.

I'm the bottom (17/17) seniority full-time driver. My start time generally says "Call at 10:00" across the board most weeks. If I'm not scheduled to work that day, I sit around and wait for a phone call that comes anytime between 8:00 and 12:00 (I've gotten the call as late as 13:00) if it comes at all. If I am covering a sick, I get the call as soon as the sick driver calls in. If I am running a dump route, then I get the call between 10:00 and 12:00. It just gets frustrating after a couple of weeks with fewer days worked than weeks that have passed and you are sitting around every day waiting for a phone call.

This week (posted last Friday) was "Call at 10:00" except for Wednesday which was 8:30 start.
Monday - They called me in around 9ish for a 10:45 start.
Tuesday - No call.
Wednesday- Scheduled start.
Thursday - I knew Wednesday night from a fellow driver, not through my supervisor as he was at home by the time I returned to the building and didn't bother calling me, that they needed me in at 9:00 on Thursday to cover for the driver that asked me if I would cover his route.
Friday (Today) - No call.

It wasn't always this hokie. We used to schedule all the drivers (unless there were no vacations or drivers out injured/DUI) and offer from top down for drivers to volunteer to go home after the driver sort and load. I never got forced off the clock due to lack of volunteers.

I'm the pain in the butt type. I would call at 10:00 and not answer a call any earlier. After I called I wouldn't pick up the phone even if they called later.

And.. if they would say to come in I would take my time doing so.

Caller ID is a godsend.

959Nanook

I'm the pain in the butt type. I would call at 10:00 and not answer a call any earlier. After I called I wouldn't pick up the phone even if they called later.

And.. if they would say to come in I would take my time doing so.

Caller ID is a godsend.

I would try this except for one thing: the contract (not sure if it is NMA, Western Region Rider, or Local 959 Supplement) says we have to be available by phone for changes in the schedule so they would just say that any phone call from them was to change my schedule from "Call" to "Report".

Caller ID only works for my Center Supervisor. The Center phone has a blocked number so customers cannot *69 the Center since the Center is not staffed during the afternoon and they don't feel like dealing with customers when we are staffed. They leave messages anyways if I don't pickup.

NY11725

Monday = 6:10 Tuesday = 6:20 or 6:25, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday is 6:30...I am sure it will become more like 5:30 once peak season kicks in.

bumped

I would try this except for one thing: the contract (not sure if it is NMA, Western Region Rider, or Local 959 Supplement) says we have to be available by phone for changes in the schedule so they would just say that any phone call from them was to change my schedule from "Call" to "Report".

Caller ID only works for my Center Supervisor. The Center phone has a blocked number so customers cannot *69 the Center since the Center is not staffed during the afternoon and they don't feel like dealing with customers when we are staffed. They leave messages anyways if I don't pickup.

Talk to your steward. You don't have to be on call all day long. That is crazy. Unless you really want to work and be at their beck and call.

959Nanook

Talk to your steward. You don't have to be on call all day long. That is crazy. Unless you really want to work and be at their beck and call.

Don't have a choice... my BA at the local Teamster Hall agreed that it was wrong but when he called his peer in Anchorage who negotiated the Local Supplement... it was chalked up as tough cookies, it is established local area practice which is in fact the case even if established local area practice directly violates the contract language (all too common around here).