Statins, or not?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WKMAC got me doing some research, and lo and behold I saw this guy on TV the other day. He makes sense, and Ive read other articles such as this on ?mercola?
These statin drugs while they give the cardio guys the numbers "they" want, there are so many side effects.
I personally think you are better off going back to what our Grandmas fed us, lard, butter, and naturally cooked foods. I think the med game is a big $$ for someone.
Heart Health - Dr. Dwight Lundell, The Great Cholesterol Lie

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the program you posted but am always a little wary of any site that posts sensational testimonials like the ones on that site. The info may or may not be reliable, but that site's sales approach seems a little sheisty.

I like to annoy my family by force feeding them nutritional supplements and randomly commenting about what they should, or should not be eating... here's a little unsolicited advice for you too. Since you're in research mode you may want to look into these:

Pantethine is available as a dietary supplement because of evidence of its health benefits. In multiple clinical trials of patients with elevated cholesterol and triglycerides, total and LDL cholesterol were decreased by 12%, triglycerides decreased by 18%, and HDL cholesterol was increased by 9%.[1][2] These clinical trials were conducted with daily intakes ranging from 600 to 1200 mg/day. Within this dose range there is no evidence of a dose-effect relationship, i.e. changes in lipid concentrations overlapped across the range of doses. Direct dose-response evidence is not available because no trial tested more than one dose. A few trials tested 300 mg/day with more modest but still statistically significant results.[3]

Further carefully controlled trials of 600 and 900 mg/d doses have shown statistically significant lowering of LDL cholesterol in individuals with greatly or moderately elevated levels of blood lipids.

Glucomannan is a dietary fiber:

Glucomannan - Cholesterol and other lipids

Glucomannan has demonstrated statistically significant improvements in the total cholesterol of obese patients.[4] In healthy men, four weeks of taking 3.9 grams of glucomannan decreased total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, triglycerides, and systolic blood pressure; notably, triglycerides dropped by 23%.[5] Glucomannan has also been tested in children with high cholesterol in conjunction with a diet. Interestingly, greater decreases in total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein were observed in girls when compared to boys.[6] When used in conjunction with chitosan, glucomannan decreases serum cholesterol, possibly by increasing steroidexcretion via the feces.[7]

Type 2 diabetes

Glucomannan may be useful as a therapeutic adjunct for type 2 diabetes. It has been shown to improve the lipid profile and alleviate the fasting blood glucose levels of type 2 diabetics.[8]

Another supplement is Red Yeast rice, which is a non patented - non prescription - version of a statin. It's got the same risks as a prescription statin so if you are trying to get away from statins it's probably not for you.

Red yeast rice and 'statin' drugs
In the late 1970s, researchers in the United States and Japan were isolating lovastatin from Aspergillus and monacolins from Monascus, respectively, the latter being the same fungus used to make red yeast rice but cultured under carefully controlled conditions. Chemical analysis soon showed that lovastatin and monacolin K are identical. The article "The origin of statins" summarizes how the two isolations, documentations and patent applications were just months apart.[3] Lovastatin became the patented, prescription drug Mevacor for Merck & Co. Red yeast rice went on to become a contentious non-prescription dietary supplement in the United States and other countries.

Lovastatin and other prescription "statin" drugs inhibit cholesterol synthesis by blocking action of the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase. As a consequence, circulating total cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol are lowered. In a meta-analysis of 91 randomized clinical trial of ≥12 weeks duration, totaling 68,485 participants, LDL-cholesterol was lowered by 24-49% depending on the statin.[4] Different strains of Monascus fungus will produce different amounts of monacolins. The 'Went' strain of Monascus purpureus (purpureus = purple in Latin), when properly fermented and processed, will yield a dried red yeast rice powder that is approximately 0.4% monacolins, of which roughly half will be monacolin K (identical to lovastatin). Monacolin content of a red yeast rice product is described in a 2008 clinical trial report.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks for the info. Im leary also as it has been beat into our heads for years, but. I read up and when my husband was having the bad muscle soreness, I put him on coq10. No more legs muscle cramps, and 3 yrs later, his cardio told me to try it. Im like yeah, did it 3 yrs ago. Thanks. Kinda hard in our situation to throw caution to the wind, just thought I would get others thoughts.

P

pickup

Thanks for the info. Im leary also as it has been beat into our heads for years, but. I read up and when my husband was having the bad muscle soreness, I put him on coq10. No more legs muscle cramps, and 3 yrs later, his cardio told me to try it. Im like yeah, did it 3 yrs ago. Thanks. Kinda hard in our situation to throw caution to the wind, just thought I would get others thoughts.

I know there is a guy who is a semi regular guest on coast to coast am who talks about heart health amongst other things. I believe your husband listens to that show. I can't remember his whole protocol but I remember he made a compelling case for tumerac for health in general and a hot spicy ingredient(found in chili pepper), but I can't remember the name right now. It will come to me. I have that powder but I took it out of the bag and put it in a non labeled container. I

As Cheryl said, I am very leary of the people who proclaim there is one secret ingredient for an ailment/s. I am even more leary when a person who makes these claims has a financial interest in a vitamin/supplement company that he claims is the only company on the planet that supplies the only proper form and quantity of the the supplement/vitamin .

That is not the case for that guest on that show. Sure he has some products such as books that he is selling but you can take his info from the radio show and run with it on your own.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You are right Pickup we both love the show, but I am the one who has been skeptical about the whole statin thing for a while. After my dads open heart in the 90s, he never walked right again. He constantly said his legs hurt. We figured it was his Parkinsons getting worse. Hes gone now, I wish I knew then what I know now, as it may have improved the quality of his life he had left.
Now after my husband had the same problem, I think it was the side effects of the Statins. But with the coq10, they are gone and his liver tests and all have been fine.
My husband listens to his cardio, thank The Lord as he listens to very little else LOL. Except noory, nibiru, 2 suns, mayan calendar....
I am just very skeptical of all doctors. And it makes sense the coq10 helps, coz it replaces what the meds take out.
What I would do, and what anyone taking them should do, I guess is a personal decision.
He for now is staying on them, as he faithfully has since his HA. We eat better than most, but he gets beef once a week. His cholestrol is 124, so I think thats good his cardio wants 100. We use real butter, but in moderation. He does not drink, eat fast foods, or lots of sweets. He prefers welchs to pop, but some things are hard to give up.
So I will keep looking at research but for now the docs win.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've never had any trouble with Lipitor but Crestor damn near killed me. Stay away from Crestor.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think it was Crestor I took and it did nothing for the cholesterol....no drop at all. Then I got on Vytorin....my over 200 cholesterol went to 145, 3 yrs ago and has been there ever since. That stuff works for me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I've never had any trouble with Lipitor but Crestor damn near killed me. Stay away from Crestor.
Exactly the opposite. for us/him. Lipitor was disabling him, Crestor is fine. I think either is fine, if you take the coq10.

beentheredonethat

I have heard a lot of negatives about the statins myself. For other reasons the cholesterol, I take Pantethine as Cheryl has listed and a lot of other vitamins and supplements. I went to get my cholesterol checked at a screening at a local store 7 months ago and my overall cholesterol was in the 130's and my LDL was in around 80's, my HDL was around 36 and my Triglycerides were around 50. I asked the pharmacists who said the same thing that is in a book by Dr Atkins "Vitanutrients". I started taking niacin (started off slow with a small amount). I now take 500 mg in the AM and 500 mg in the PM. At first I got the typical flushing, but now I don't get it. I also take 4-5 fish oil pills each day. (each one has 674 mg of omega 3 (epa\dha). I had a regular physical blood work about two months later and my overall cholesterol was up a bit due to my HDL getting a bit higher which is what I wanted. I just got another free cholesterol check at the costco I shop at. After 7 months of taking niacin, I now have my HDL at 61, my LDL in the 70's and my triglycerides at 61. My overall cholesterol was in the 140's. Overall really good numbers.

No real side effects (other then flushing) of the niacin, and fish oil has many other benefits then just cholesterol. I suggest starting with the more natural supplements before you start using drugs that have many disadvantages.