Stay out of residential driveways

BrownSuit

Send a message back to the center and ask for instructions. This accomplishes two things, upon getting enough messages there will be reasonable clarification on the original instruction and secondly you are covered if you were to have an accident or a complaint from the homeowner for driving on their driveway.

Indicate in as few words as you can that you are skipping the stop and waiting for a response. When it takes an hour to respond and you have to break trace to double back, you can point to the fact that you required a response on the next steps.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

We have been "encouraged" to drift or coast as much as possible to avoid a back if it's "not needed". I have 4 1/2 years safe driving, not because I have made my backing goals or numbers, but because I work safe and avoid all that little crap. I back no more than necessary to complete my route.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have been "encouraged" to drift or coast as much as possible to avoid a back if it's "not needed". I have 4 1/2 years safe driving, not because I have made my backing goals or numbers, but because I work safe and avoid all that little crap. I back no more than necessary to complete my route.

You are the driver. You do what you have to do to. I don't back because I want to agitate, I back because if I parked on the road and went around the block it would add 10 miles at some stops. Not all routes have tight subdivisions.

If was being ojs-ed I would walk it if that message came up in the broad. If the sup said to drive it, I would say that's not what I'm suppust to do and you shouldn't be talking only observing. Then the ride get's thrown out when he says do it any way. The proof is in telematics. If not a ojs then drive that sheet.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If was being ojs-ed I would walk it if that message came up in the broad. If the sup said to drive it, I would say that's not what I'm suppust to do and you shouldn't be talking only observing. Then the ride get's thrown out when he says do it any way. The proof is in telematics. If not a ojs then drive that sheet.

You need to be consistent and do the job the same whether you are being supervised or not. As you say, "the proof is in the Telematics" and if Telematics shows you driving up the same driveways that you walked off during an OJS then you are going to have some serious explaining to do and any reasonable argument that you might have been able to make about your dispatch or time allowance being unrealistic just got tossed in the crapper. If you jerk them around they will jerk you around even worse.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I would put in a Dr bag. Leave it by the mailbox. That is what management is telling us to do in our center. To avoid backing. No customer service anymore. They said they will handle any complaints. Do what they preach. Make them make the choices
This guy runs a car repair service out of his house on the side. Gets a lot of heavy automotive parts and I am there 2-3 times a week. Many times in the winter, I don't attempt the driveway because of ice or snow and will leave his parcels by the mailbox.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Nice easy slope on that there hill. Drive all the way and and coast back down the hill to turn around at mailbox. Noone would be the wiser. Unless, of course, if they wondered why your DIAD gps did not jive with the telematics.
A nice perk of being satellited is that management doesn't get telematics on our vehicles. If I have 90 stops a day, I probably back up on 70+ of them an an average day. Am sure that this would set off some kind of alarm in the sups office.

Indecisi0n

You need to be consistent and do the job the same whether you are being supervised or not. As you say, "the proof is in the Telematics" and if Telematics shows you driving up the same driveways that you walked off during an OJS then you are going to have some serious explaining to do and any reasonable argument that you might have been able to make about your dispatch or time allowance being unrealistic just got tossed in the crapper. If you jerk them around they will jerk you around even worse.

...makings adjustments on changing conditions.

kingOFchester

After getting a message "stay out of residential driveways", I would of sent message stating "Have 4 large tires at XXX. Drive appears to be 1/4 mile round trip. 4 trips 1 mile, should I walk off?" If you would attempt it without approval, and some freak accident happened, then you could be charged with not following direction.

If everyone did this in these type of situations, perhaps they would think before they send a blanket message. Then again, probably not.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I'm not walking off that driveway with four tires. Hell, I'm not walking it with a 1lb package. I choose to ignore their frivolous messages and make my own decisions. Will live with any consequences should they arise.