Stewards Corner?

Notretiredyet

Has anyone else noticed the large percent of Stewards we have here on Brown Cafe? I often wonder how many are REAL stewards, and how many pretend to be one on the interwebs.
I have my suspicions. Some I know are real, some......
Where else can we go to vent? We recently had elections and after almost 30 yrs of being a steward (full and PT) I was planning to spend my last couple years sitting on the fence. When I told my local of my plans I was asked to stay on to help train the other steward who was going to be new (we have 2 now due to center size)until I retire. These last few years have been the most challenging of my career and quite frankly I'm beginning to burn-out. Even stayed away from the BC for many of the same reasons, tired of all the name calling and such which seems to be multiplied by the fact that you can say things most would not say face to face. This is a contract year people, now more than ever we need to work together and make an effort to listen and accept that we only hurt ourselves by these words. Those in Atlanta must smile when they read some of the posts on BC, and that's a shame. With that I'm outta here for the rest of the day, it's beautiful today so I'm getting my butt off the couch. This may be the last day I can go for a ride on my Harley, and forget about all the rest for awhile. Have a good day.

BrownFlower

I for one, think that a management free place where stewards could go to exchange ideas/techniques would be incredibly beneficial for all involved.

When I first discovered the brown cafe years ago, I thought that is something that would be taking place here.
Instead I found that whenever a discussion of this nature would get started up, inevitably a company plant (someone like tieguy) would purposefully derail the conversation.
I really used to believe that this was part of his job description and was being paid by ups to do this because it seemed so calculated, timely and effective.

Do to this fact, I basically gave up on browncafe years ago and not only quit posting but even visiting at all.

I know there is an immense amount of untapped knowledge from senior stewards that should be getting shared and passed down that isn't.

How many other stewards have thrown their hands in the air and clicked the close window tab to never return again?

Is a management free zone really too much to ask?

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
I think the idea (a stewards corner) has merit. Maybe one of you guys could ask Cheryl to set up a stewards forum where all could read, BUT it would be heavily moderated to stay on topic. Someone would have to use the "report post" icon as soon as the topic started to go off topic.
Maybe it could be a sub-forum under "UPS Union Issues".

I think tho, you will have issues with some stewards thinking certain issues shouldn't be discussed in the open, etc.

Too bad the IBT didn't have some online area where ONLY legitimate stewards could log onto.

swf2e

Be careful about giving an idea about something the moderators have to look at. I did they and got put on the hold list and they have to approve my posts.

Will this one even go through? I guess we will soon know.

over9five

Staff member
Be careful about giving an idea about something the moderators have to look at. I did they and got put on the hold list and they have to approve my posts.

Will this one even go through? I guess we will soon know.

I just looked, and you have no infractions. Our site is set up so that newbies need at least 25 posts before your posts will appear without having to be checked by a Mod.

hyena

Just seeing if stewards were interested in exchanging resolutions to specific issues. How you have dealt with successful grievance procedures, dealings with management, labor relations, etc... Not so much looking for it to be hijacked into an Obama, Bush, Romney thread. Any takers?

I think this would be a good idea in a sence however it could also be bad cause if you went into specifics you could be giving management ammo.

swf2e

That may be the case, but somewhere there was a failure of that system. My first post had to be modded, which I understood. The next 5(five) posted directly without having to be checked. I have since made 4 or 5 that have disappeared with that being the first one to make it through. The first one to disappear was talking about a possible method to control customer threads that would create some extra work to control effectively. I don't know if there is a connection, but I found it odd that my posts disappeared after that and the rest have not been offensive or off topic.

If the general behavior of some of the mods is like that then I don't know how I can get to 25 posts. That being the case, is there even a point to try being a part of the community here?

No offense, just stating what I see. I have been in their shoes before, you have to look at the content, not the person.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That may be the case, but somewhere there was a failure of that system. My first post had to be modded, which I understood. The next 5(five) posted directly without having to be checked. I have since made 4 or 5 that have disappeared with that being the first one to make it through. The first one to disappear was talking about a possible method to control customer threads that would create some extra work to control effectively. I don't know if there is a connection, but I found it odd that my posts disappeared after that and the rest have not been offensive or off topic.

If the general behavior of some of the mods is like that then I don't know how I can get to 25 posts. That being the case, is there even a point to try being a part of the community here?

No offense, just stating what I see. I have been in their shoes before, you have to look at the content, not the person.
Here's your post about "controlling customer threads".
No one is deleting your posts, you might just be having some connection problems.