Still waiting.

MAKAVELI

Where's the list? Sort of like "where's the beef?" FedEx isn't nearly as profitable as many corporations. They pay taxes on the profit, not the total revenue. Their number one expense is payroll, followed by fuel. I believe that FedEx could've done better by us, but whether we like it or not they're trying to not only make a profit but to increase profits. We get caught in the middle. I know firsthand their desire to increase profits. When I got rehired in '98 I was gone more than a year so I had to start over. Got rehired after 10 months this time but corporate policy now is all must start over so I got starting pay. Not thrilled, but no one else is offering this much and I'm 52. I'll take what I can get.
Sounds like you just gave up bro. Just because you weren't willing to put the time, effort, and training, doesn't mean someone else can't find better. Btw I hope you like the starting wage because your wage won't be going up for a long, long, long time.

vantexan

Sounds like you just gave up bro. Just because you weren't willing to put the time, effort, and training, doesn't mean someone else can't find better. Btw I hope you like the starting wage because your wage won't be going up for a long, long, long time.
Fortunately I won't be around for that long, the privilege of being older. I don't have the money for training, needed a job. And I'm not going to start a new "career" at this point. If you can get the training and get out more power to you. I'm thankful they took me back. All I'm asking here is if one wants to make statements about anything concerning the company then back it up with documentation. I don't like dishonest managers and want to see facts here too.

vantexan

OK, FedEx used accelerated depreciation on assets for most of it's tax breaks. A very common thing to do. With it's aircraft and vehicle fleet what would you expect them to do? They are constantly having to invest in new vehicles. The question remains are they breaking the law? If it's allowed, and with good reason, then they aren't. And if you think pay progression is slow now what do you think would happen if those tax breaks were abolished? Does FedEx exist just to provide jobs? And funds sent overseas? FedEx is building it's network overseas. FATCA will eliminate hiding money abroad. But FedEx has legitimate business worldwide that requires funding.

hypo hanna

OK, FedEx used accelerated depreciation on assets for most of it's tax breaks. A very common thing to do. With it's aircraft and vehicle fleet what would you expect them to do? They are constantly having to invest in new vehicles. The question remains are they breaking the law? If it's allowed, and with good reason, then they aren't. And if you think pay progression is slow now what do you think would happen if those tax breaks were abolished? Does FedEx exist just to provide jobs? And funds sent overseas? FedEx is building it's network overseas. FATCA will eliminate hiding money abroad. But FedEx has legitimate business worldwide that requires funding.
I never said fedex was breaking the law. What I'm saying is fedex and most of the other US companies are using their undo influence to stack the deck against the rest of us.
How is it companies in countries like Germany can compensate their workers far better then here in the US and still pay a much higher effective tax rate?
Does fedex exist just to provide a return on investment to the stockholder? Is this the only responsibility a corporation owes this country in return for what the country has done for the corporation?

vantexan

I never said fedex was breaking the law. What I'm saying is fedex and most of the other US companies are using their undo influence to stack the deck against the rest of us.
How is it companies in countries like Germany can compensate their workers far better then here in the US and still pay a much higher effective tax rate?
Does fedex exist just to provide a return on investment to the stockholder? Is this the only responsibility a corporation owes this country in return for what the country has done for the corporation?
But those tax breaks were in place long before FedEx started. FedEx couldn't and wouldn't exist without them. Do you think Fred S or any other entrepreneur would start a company just to give everything to the employees? Look at the total aftertax profit FedEx makes and compare it to what it pays annually in payroll. There's no way FedEx can compensate everyone to the amount many on here believe they should get. They'd have to be a lot more profitable, a whole lot more, to pay that much better. And you want them to pay much more in taxes. The U.S. has the highest corporate taxes in the world but tax breaks reduce their tax burden. Do German companies also get breaks? And there's really no across the board comparison because the cost of living is also higher in Germany and different companies have different situations. FedEx has to have a very large workforce as delivering pkgs is labor intensive. It spends a huge amount on fuel. Compare German companies in the same situation if you can find them. And don't forget that Germany is part of the European Union where Southern European nations were very irresponsible with perks and benefits for their workers. The Germans are very resentful that their taxes are going to bailing out these countries. I'm not saying the U.S. doesn't have it's problems, and corporate executive compensation is way out of whack with the rest of the world. But in our system you either have to work your way up the corporate ladder, or get training in a specialty that pays, or start your own company with all the inherent risks. Or settle for less if you aren't willing to do the above. It's a competitive global market now and companies who don't hold down costs to provide affordable consumer goods or services are soon out of business. I didn't make this happen, I'm not thrilled that it has happened, but it's the reality we live in so please don't bite my head off. :)

MAKAVELI

But those tax breaks were in place long before FedEx started. FedEx couldn't and wouldn't exist without them. Do you think Fred S or any other entrepreneur would start a company just to give everything to the employees? Look at the total aftertax profit FedEx makes and compare it to what it pays annually in payroll. There's no way FedEx can compensate everyone to the amount many on here believe they should get. They'd have to be a lot more profitable, a whole lot more, to pay that much better. And you want them to pay much more in taxes. The U.S. has the highest corporate taxes in the world but tax breaks reduce their tax burden. Do German companies also get breaks? And there's really no across the board comparison because the cost of living is also higher in Germany and different companies have different situations. FedEx has to have a very large workforce as delivering pkgs is labor intensive. It spends a huge amount on fuel. Compare German companies in the same situation if you can find them. And don't forget that Germany is part of the European Union where Southern European nations were very irresponsible with perks and benefits for their workers. The Germans are very resentful that their taxes are going to bailing out these countries. I'm not saying the U.S. doesn't have it's problems, and corporate executive compensation is way out of whack with the rest of the world. But in our system you either have to work your way up the corporate ladder, or get training in a specialty that pays, or start your own company with all the inherent risks. Or settle for less if you aren't willing to do the above. It's a competitive global market now and companies who don't hold down costs to provide affordable consumer goods or services are soon out of business. I didn't make this happen, I'm not thrilled that it has happened, but it's the reality we live in so please don't bite my head off. :)
Your excuses for FedEx are repeated every year and are getting very tiresome. This company makes $ billions, stock price is over $150, executives making $ millions in salaries and bonuses. So please save the bs for some schmuck who doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

vantexan

Your excuses for FedEx are repeated every year and are getting very tiresome. This company makes $ billions, stock price is over $150, executives making $ millions in salaries and bonuses. So please save the bs for some schmuck who doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
Did it occur to you that the stock is higher because they are increasing profits and thus dividends making it more attractive to buy? Look at what they pay in total payroll, look at what they make in profit, and tell me how they are going to pay everyone so much more? Do the math, it doesn't add up. Exec salaries are a drop in the bucket, most of their compensation comes from stock options that they sell on the open market. Take away their pay, does it make it possible to pay everyone that much better? Well? You talk of what you want things to be, I'm talking reality. I believe they could've honored their promises concerning the traditional pension. But they didn't, it's over and done with. Where's the money coming from to pay everyone the kind of pay you think we all deserve? What gets tiresome is all the claims against the company not backed up with facts. Stick to facts and maybe all the rumors about a part-time workforce or twelve hour days with 5 hour splits wouldn't happen and get people all worked up.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Nothing personal Van, you seem like a good guy but the Kool-Aid being served at your station is a bit potent these days. So FedEx is raking in billions with an all-time high stock price but you had to take a pay cut to come back even with all your experience? Praise the company if you want but it doesn't mean crap if you're getting screwed.

vantexan

Nothing personal Van, you seem like a good guy but the Kool-Aid being served at your station is a bit potent these days. So FedEx is raking in billions with an all-time high stock price but you had to take a pay cut to come back even with all your experience? Praise the company if you want but it doesn't mean crap if you're getting screwed.
But y'all seem to believe that those billions in profit should go strictly to the employees. 1 billion dollars would give 100,000 employees $10,000 each. OK, how many employees are there worldwide? If FedEx gave all the profit to the employees how much would each one get? Will employees be willing to take a pay cut in future downturns with less revenue? How does FedEx satisfy it's fiduciary responsibility to stock holders? Where does FedEx get the money to further expand the business to grow the revenue for future pay raises? How much is enough? Would $10,000 more a year satisfy employees or do they think they should be making as much as UPS? If the money is given to the employees in improved pay, will employees also want improved benefits? If so where does that money come from? If ever a union got in I'm betting these are some of the questions that would be asked in arbitration.

MAKAVELI

But y'all seem to believe that those billions in profit should go strictly to the employees. 1 billion dollars would give 100,000 employees $10,000 each. OK, how many employees are there worldwide? If FedEx gave all the profit to the employees how much would each one get? Will employees be willing to take a pay cut in future downturns with less revenue? How does FedEx satisfy it's fiduciary responsibility to stock holders? Where does FedEx get the money to further expand the business to grow the revenue for future pay raises? How much is enough? Would $10,000 more a year satisfy employees or do they think they should be making as much as UPS? If the money is given to the employees in improved pay, will employees also want improved benefits? If so where does that money come from? If ever a union got in I'm betting these are some of the questions that would be asked in arbitration.
We've been down this road with you before. I'll say what my co-workers and myself feel is fair. We feel the current top out pay is fair, but there needs to be a specific progression. Not, well you'll get there, maybe in 25-30 years. Our health plan needs to be improved so we can actually afford to use it. We deserve a return to a defined benefit pension plan. I don't think that is asking too much from a company that claims it "takes care of its people".

hypo hanna

The stock is high for a multitude of reasons. Company effeciencies are way up. (You are all working much harder for the same pay). This has boosted profits that fedex would rather give to the stockholders then employees. The stock dividend was raised this quarter and last year at this time. Both times we were being told how poor and unprofitable fedex was.

The stock market in general is booming. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Mostly, Fred and co. Are in the midst of a large stock repurchase program. Using these higher profits and buying back fedex stock drives up the price. This is a boon to executives who had givin themselves large stock options and a boon to their friends on Wall Street. In effect lining their own pockets at the expense of the company and the employees.

M I Indy

Who owns DHL? Thought so......how big are they WORLDWIDE? Unfortunately they got collusioned out of the US domestic market because the other 2 would have had to up compensation, etc. due to competition, your kool-aid may be tainted with ethyl glycol (you can google it up) which slowly is eroding your brain. Do you really think Fed Ex cares? Just because they drag you in out of the rain, time after time, makes YOU an indentured servant, not everyone else. You think 52 is too old in today's world? You may make top out pay because you will be working the next 20-25 years at Fed Ex money. Since your retirement plan would get only 2-3 years of retired life based on inflation rates by the time you retire. You should spend more time taking control of your life instead of "woo is me" but not because of Fed Ex. Blaze your own path instead of shuffling along bitching. Read up on guys like Ray Kroc and Col. Sanders, see when they made it big...long after the age you say is too old. You're not old, lazy seems more like it. Our system today is all about instant success, one hit wonders, i.e. Kim K., nilla Ice, shark tank contestants, etc. Can't get ahead if you just hang in the middle of the left behinds. I know I can, you think/know you can't. You are EXACTLY what Fed Ex wants, no wonder they keep taking you back like an unwanted puppy. Not trying to bite your head off, seems as though you already have it buried in your hands.

hypo hanna

But y'all seem to believe that those billions in profit should go strictly to the employees.....
Who the @#*! Said that?
We are only asking for a seat at the table. Yes stockholders should be rewarded. Yes executives deserve compensation. (Although not at the present levels). Yes companies need to reinvest and grow, but it is immoral to to finance all of those things on the backs of the employee.

vantexan

Who the @#*! Said that?
We are only asking for a seat at the table. Yes stockholders should be rewarded. Yes executives deserve compensation. (Although not at the present levels). Yes companies need to reinvest and grow, but it is immoral to to finance all of those things on the backs of the employee.
But if you top out everyone in 3 years or so as is often demanded here, and raise top-out to something closer to UPS, and get improved benefits, most of the profit will be gone. Do the math. Y'all want what you want without considering the cost. I'm just telling you the reality you don't want to face.

vantexan

Who owns DHL? Thought so......how big are they WORLDWIDE? Unfortunately they got collusioned out of the US domestic market because the other 2 would have had to up compensation, etc. due to competition, your kool-aid may be tainted with ethyl glycol (you can google it up) which slowly is eroding your brain. Do you really think Fed Ex cares? Just because they drag you in out of the rain, time after time, makes YOU an indentured servant, not everyone else. You think 52 is too old in today's world? You may make top out pay because you will be working the next 20-25 years at Fed Ex money. Since your retirement plan would get only 2-3 years of retired life based on inflation rates by the time you retire. You should spend more time taking control of your life instead of "woo is me" but not because of Fed Ex. Blaze your own path instead of shuffling along bitching. Read up on guys like Ray Kroc and Col. Sanders, see when they made it big...long after the age you say is too old. You're not old, lazy seems more like it. Our system today is all about instant success, one hit wonders, i.e. Kim K., nilla Ice, shark tank contestants, etc. Can't get ahead if you just hang in the middle of the left behinds. I know I can, you think/know you can't. You are EXACTLY what Fed Ex wants, no wonder they keep taking you back like an unwanted puppy. Not trying to bite your head off, seems as though you already have it buried in your hands.
Son, I'll put the routes I've done and the numbers I've posted up against anything you've done. As for being old, I volunteered at age 46 to unload cans in hot and humid east Texas and did so for 4 years, including after putting in a stent to clear a 99% clogged artery. And at 12 I was picking weeds at a huge plant nursery for a dollar an hour, 35 hrs a week in the Florida sun. And have been humping ever since. You don't know what hard work is you jackass. I'm telling you the truth about the numbers, seems you're the one who can't handle it. Buy an effing clue.

vantexan

The stock is high for a multitude of reasons. Company effeciencies are way up. (You are all working much harder for the same pay). This has boosted profits that fedex would rather give to the stockholders then employees. The stock dividend was raised this quarter and last year at this time. Both times we were being told how poor and unprofitable fedex was.

The stock market in general is booming. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Mostly, Fred and co. Are in the midst of a large stock repurchase program. Using these higher profits and buying back fedex stock drives up the price. This is a boon to executives who had givin themselves large stock options and a boon to their friends on Wall Street. In effect lining their own pockets at the expense of the company and the employees.
I'm curious, if DRA is causing overtime, seems to me the work is getting stretched out and couriers are getting more OT. Doesn't sound efficient. So which is it?

vantexan

By the way, the German postal service owns DHL and as such they can subsidize their operation with tax money. That gave them an unfair advantage so of course FedEx and UPS resisted them. But ultimately they couldn't compete in the States on the same scale as the more established companies. At least be honest. Collusion my ass.

overflowed

But if you top out everyone in 3 years or so as is often demanded here, and raise top-out to something closer to UPS, and get improved benefits, most of the profit will be gone. Do the math. Y'all want what you want without considering the cost. I'm just telling you the reality you don't want to face.
Well Van, I think there are around 650 stations in the US. Engineers at most stations get paid to have us tell them how to switch around the DRA to the correct loops for them. Sounds like 650 to many jobs by my reckoning. I am sure there are many more jobs in this company except ours that could go away overnight and I guarantee we will be doing the same thing regardless everyday.