stolen parcels

satellitedriver

I Dr`d a guitar once at a residence in a nice neighborhood, It was a good DR out of sight from the street and so on, anyway the owners called and said they never received it . I stopped by the house on the way home and saw the man playing it through his window and recovered the box from his trash. I turned the box into LP the following morning and told my center manager what I had done. UPS paid the claim anyway !!
Did the same thing, but it was a vacuum cleaner.
I left it at a side door near the garage. Totally out of view in an upscale development neighborhood.
He lied to me, as he signed the follow up, and I knew it.
Talked to his neighbor and they said they saw him take it into the house.
Same story, claim paid.
He is now divorced, cheated on his wife. Lost his home and now is going to jail for stealing at his job.
His dishonesty is still counted against me, in my file, for doing my job properly.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I think we are reliving a previous thread, as I remember posting this same reply before. Sig. Req. Is just that....black & white...SIGNATURE REQUIRED!

Jim Kemp

Here is a suggestion; If you have a good relationship with the cust. try paying them out of your pocket and leave UPS out of it. But you always run the risk of paying them and then they still file the claim.

Whatever the out come from now on play by UPS rules. They hold all the cards.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I think that would be worse than just coming clean...JMO. I don't think that I would try it, what would they think if they found out that you were trying to cover it up? I would just the chips fall where they may, pick myself up and know not to do it again. Again...JMO

Jim Kemp

I think that would be worse than just coming clean...JMO. I don't think that I would try it, what would they think if they found out that you were trying to cover it up? I would just the chips fall where they may, pick myself up and know not to do it again. Again...JMO

Good point. I would just hate to be in this guys shoes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On a related note, we have a cover driver who is currently on the hook for a bounced check. He was supposed to get a certified check/money order but took a company check and it bounced. The check was for just over $2,600. The regular driver is working with the customer and thinks that he will make good on the check but is not 100% sure.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
Here is a suggestion; If you have a good relationship with the cust. try paying them out of your pocket and leave UPS out of it. But you always run the risk of paying them and then they still file the claim.
'NEVER
Dishonesty, plain and simple
driver last year paying a fender bender out of pocket, wife goes home and tells hubby. he calls UPS. driver on 6 month vacation

Jim Kemp

On a related note, we have a cover driver who is currently on the hook for a bounced check. He was supposed to get a certified check/money order but took a company check and it bounced. The check was for just over $2,600. The regular driver is working with the customer and thinks that he will make good on the check but is not 100% sure.

I know the driver should have followed the instructions and collected a cert check/money order but why doesn't ups turn these people in to the local D.A.. Writing a $2600. NSF check is a crime.

browniehound

do i smell a troll. new member posted once thats it

I can smell him too. Its probably a troll, but here is my opinion on the subject regardless of where it came from.

As for the SDN and being fired, he should only be fired if he actually signed the DIAD himself. If the customer left a SDN and the DIAD allows you (will it for sig. req. packages? I think it might, but I don't remember ever being stupid enough to try it) to hit SDN and then clarify the name by typing it in the space provided, then I don't see anything dishonest about this.

If he has the note and hit SDN and the DIAD allowed him to clarify the name and he didn't sign the customer's name on the DIAD, what is dishonest about that?

If this is the case he shouldn't be fired or made to pay for the package. Its UPS' DIAD and if they allow the device a SDN on sig. req. packages, then I think the liability lies with the company.

satellitedriver

An abject lesson for COD collections.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know the driver should have followed the instructions and collected a cert check/money order but why doesn't ups turn these people in to the local D.A.. Writing a $2600. NSF check is a crime.

The one thing that you have to remember is that we are simply an agent for the shipper and we collect and then forward the checks to the shipper so any action on the NSF would have to start with the shipper. This doesn't excuse the driver for not following procedures and this is why some of our shipping software is being changed so that CODs will be coded as to what forms of payment can be accepted. Your DIAD would then prompt you if certified funds are required.

$26/week for 100 weeks would suck.

Salesguy

Sales Member
Stolen packages impacts every carrier/organization in any business and its a big shame it happens.
In general research shows that from all thiefs, >50% is an employee.
The question is, is it the need from the thief or the opportunity that may occur?
I hope everyone understands that if you see this happen, you directly report it and if you do it yourself, please go and find professional help. Stealing is never a longterm solution for things and can only make it worse. More effective is to enter a saleslead and create personal gain by helping others instead of destroying more than you are.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Stolen packages impacts every carrier/organization in any business and its a big shame it happens.
In general research shows that from all thiefs, >50% is an employee.
The question is, is it the need from the thief or the opportunity that may occur?
I hope everyone understands that if you see this happen, you directly report it and if you do it yourself, please go and find professional help. Stealing is never a longterm solution for things and can only make it worse. More effective is to enter a saleslead and create personal gain by helping others instead of destroying more than you are.

Salesguy, leave it to you to turn a thread about stolen parcels in to a pitch for sales leads. You could probably sell an air conditioner to an Eskimo.