Stories? I know if you retired from UPS, you have a good story or two to tell!

Shiftless

Coming up on 13 years retired I had a friend say to me yesterday while we were at HRF (Hot Rod Friday) lunch " I bet you have a bunch of work stories to tell from back in the day"!

So let the thread roll! Pretty sure while you worked you saw a funny thing or two? As we are aging out and coming to the end of the conveyor belt of life, feel free to purge that story so we can all share in how it once was.

Try to keep it clean and simple and change the names of those involved unless you have the burning desire to tell the truth and nuthin but the truth.

tarbar66

Where do I start? I’m going to start with my midnight hub. A few guys showed up drunk or high and either they didn’t see the missing flap in the drop frame when unloading while walking backwards in the near darkness.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Coming up on 13 years retired I had a friend say to me yesterday while we were at HRF (Hot Rod Friday) lunch " I bet you have a bunch of work stories to tell from back in the day"!

So let the thread roll! Pretty sure while you worked you saw a funny thing or two? As we are aging out and coming to the end of the conveyor belt of life, feel free to purge that story so we can all share in how it once was.

Try to keep it clean and simple and change the names of those involved unless you have the burning desire to tell the truth and nuthin but the truth.
I love these stories. Good idea for a thread.

Shiftless

One day I punched out and a couple hours later I moved up 3 positions on the seniority list.
3 guys who were actually good workers and had great families with everything going in the right direction made a BAD CHOICE! Turns out they thought they were smarter than the company and one of our shippers. They stole one of the shippers containers and moved it to a private holding location where people can stage their containers to be shipped to themselves or others. This where they goofed up! Greed got to them or just being stupid criminals they decided to go to that staging lot and break the seal and take a few items out. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! Owner called the police of unusual activity. BUSTED!

Heck who wanted a Betamax anyway! Yup a full trailer of them!

YES everyone even tho we liked these guys was happy they were fired! Idiot's!

Shiftless

So one early morning I am at an outlying building. At the time maybe they had 20 to 25 driver's? When I get there usually everyone is gone but on this day I catch the car washer just leaving. So I ask him to hold the door so I can use the restroom. He says "see ya" and leaves. Walking under the one and only belt in the building I hear a familiar but unusual noise????? OK now it has my attention! Stopping and listening I thought oh well, so I just came up from under the belt and while walking upstairs just turning in to the head I hear another noise? WTF? I look back over the pkg cars and see nothing. Decide just get it done and move on. Just when I pull my junk out all hell breaks loose! First thought? Car washer is screwing with me. Then I hear people screaming "GO GO GO" . As I am walking back over to the top of the stairs where you look out things are banging and clanging and another weird series of sounds??? Then "WHAM BANG" that I can feel the vibration thru my feet. At 2 in the morning this NOW has my full attention.

Its getting towards Christmas time. That means cars are inches apart, mirrors folded in and and every inch used. Preload is just starting to get closer to my arrival time. Been backing up their time to meet the dispatch time. Someone was just parking and saw two knuckleheads running from the building with one limping pretty good. He decides to come in just as I am saying I'm outta here! We scare each other entering and exiting the door. He tells me what he saw and wants no part of me leaving him alone. So we go back in and we inspect what was going on. Of course we are making a huge amount of noise so it seems 10 people were on their way in hoping anyone else would run out. Opening doors for them to get out, yet we found no one.

So the familiar but unusual noise I talked about earlier?? I had been out of pkg so long I didn't realize since I wasn't expecting anyone in the building I assume was the sound of an aluminum floor popping from someone walking on it in an empty pkg car. The other noises were them crawling out between pkg cars so tightly together and then running on their hoods (5 of them) to get to the door, right underneath the stairway landing at the top. I can only assume the one guy fell between pkg cars or when he jumped down he hurt himself as they exited a very stout steel cased door that they actually broke when leaving.

Very next day they got a security guard at night. He would wake up and do his rounds when my tractor woke him up each night. He told me "I park right here so you know I am here" OK! It was just so he could wake up I figured. Soon after I arrived he would tell me he was going to lunch in his car.

OK whatz your story!

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

One time working in the BOG as a stripper...

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i liked some of the stories the old timers told me when i first started. when managers and drivers would go to the bar in the package cars on a friday and have a couple drinks.

or the family BBQ's the company sponsored.

sounds like fantasy but it was true.

Shiftless

We had a bar right across the street. One of their largest customer base was UPS and a plant down the street.

We would drink for hours after everything was done on Saturdays (management / hourly) for years until all the beer bottles and cans clogged up the roof rain drain, because somehow stuff accidentally making it on the roof was unacceptable for some reason, go figure?? They didn't even give our footballs or basketballs back!

I and 5 or 6 other guys and our spouses went to our supervisors wedding. Cool dude then, cool dude now!

The 70's is a far distant scene then it is now I guess!

We would even show movies from a projector on the wall for entertainment. Yup those films could never see the light on a company wall these days!

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
We had a bar right across the street. One of their largest customer base was UPS and a plant down the street.

We would drink for hours after everything was done on Saturdays (management / hourly) for years until all the beer bottles and cans clogged up the roof rain drain, because somehow stuff accidentally making it on the roof was unacceptable for some reason, go figure?? They didn't even give our footballs or basketballs back!

I and 5 or 6 other guys and our spouses went to our supervisors wedding. Cool dude then, cool dude now!

The 70's is a far distant scene then it is now I guess!

We would even show movies from a projector on the wall for entertainment. Yup those films could never see the light on a company wall these days!
Yes sir!!! You got that right! You get the winner award! Sooo, so different now but that @Wally will teach us a thing or two... hahahaaaa

My boss asked me to come into his office. I go in and a 1/5th of Black Velvet sitting there. I said what's this and he said a customer brought it in for me. I said cool... he said check this out and pulled out an AK-47 and said $1200. You want in. This is a hellavu investment before they ban these assault weapons. I told him, I appreciate the offer but at part time the financee & I are scraping by... he said well I wanted to offer it to you. I once again thanked him. Yet yeah... in the managers office with booze and assault weapons. Those were the days!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yes sir!!! You got that right! You get the winner award! Sooo, so different now but that @Wally will teach us a thing or two... hahahaaaa

My boss asked me to come into his office. I go in and a 1/5th of Black Velvet sitting there. I said what's this and he said a customer brought it in for me. I said cool... he said check this out and pulled out an AK-47 and said $1200. You want in. This is a hellavu investment before they ban these assault weapons. I told him, I appreciate the offer but at part time the financee & I are scraping by... he said well I wanted to offer it to you. I once again thanked him. Yet yeah... in the managers office with booze and assault weapons. Those were the days!

Bologna.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
images-28.jpg