Strike Authorization Approved

polyp

Honestly, it wouldn't take too many PTers striking at some of these hubs to absolutely tank production.

A fair number of hubs already depend on management to work during the summer, since they exhaust the double-shift list every single day. Happens earlier and earlier every year. That strike cushion isn't what it once was. They've already done it this week on one of our sorts.

It's early May. Not even hot out yet. The staffing only gets worse from here.

If the union agitates correctly, they could do a lot to increase PTer buy in to a strike. Most of the backbone (un)loaders in my hub are 2-to-8 years seniority by this point, and as a group are pretty agitated about the fact that the new retention bonuses ($120 a week) elevate new hires above their pay level. Extra insult comes from how production took a noticeable hit when management turnover started to dictate staffing training sups off the street. The resulting newbies have sucked.

twoweeled

I'm a high seniority part timer and I'm voting for the strike. Than I'll cross the picket line and get mine. Lol! Nobody cares about us, so screw you guys.

Johnny was last seen in this area, they say?

IMG00146-20100528-0719.jpg

Daf

Why are we striking

What happens if we go on strike ?

What’s the process in all of this ?

How do we get paid ?
This is just a vote to decide if we are willing to strike if there is no agreement made in time. Doubtful that it will actually happen. In the meantime try to save a few bucks just in case.

twoweeled

$9.80 per hr 1978 for full timers.

Same buying power as $39.18 in 2018

Part timers made (I believe) $.50 less per hour.

6 month progression.
Same buying power? Maybe some items. I know I purchased a home in 1976 for less than $40,000. That same home is going for close to $500.000 today. More than 10X. I think I had a $365 month payment on the less than $40,000 home. Made that in a week. The payment on that same $500,000 (estimate of same house today) would cost you more than $2,000 a month, even at today's lower interest rates. At $39 per hour, that's about $1600 a week, not covering the house payment.
Just a side note. I think (some) of our raises then, were close to what we're getting now. I think that was closer to when we were at $10 per hour. I was a long time ago, so difficult to remember exact numbers. We knew we made a lot of money then. We were far ahead of anyone and everyone. I do remember that. I remember my Cardiologist was asking me to get him a job at UPS. Just kidding about that one.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I could be wrong, but!! about 40-45 years ago, I think top pay for an unloader (hub man) was around $5-$6 per hour. I could almost swear, it was $6.42 an hour. That's a long time ago, so I could very well be wrong. Around 1977-78 ? Someone here knows. Please confirm or correct me, someone.
Starting pay for an unloader in 1968 was $3.13 which our hub was full time jobs.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Same buying power? Maybe some items. I know I purchased a home in 1976 for less than $40,000. That same home is going for close to $500.000 today. More than 10X. I think I had a $365 month payment on the less than $40,000 home. Made that in a week. The payment on that same $500,000 (estimate of same house today) would cost you more than $2,000 a month, even at today's lower interest rates. At $39 per hour, that's about $1600 a week, not covering the house payment.
Just a side note. I think (some) of our raises then, were close to what we're getting now. I think that was closer to when we were at $10 per hour. I was a long time ago, so difficult to remember exact numbers. We knew we made a lot of money then. We were far ahead of anyone and everyone. I do remember that. I remember my Cardiologist was asking me to get him a job at UPS. Just kidding about that one.
1979 first year full time driver ..$10.70 an hour.. One week made the house payment.. one week made the 2 car payments, all ins,.. remaining 2 weeks.. bought what we wanted, ate out when we wanted , saved money, lived like kings.

twoweeled

1979 first year full time driver ..$10.70 an hour.. One week made the house payment.. one week made the 2 car payments, all ins,.. remaining 2 weeks.. bought what we wanted, ate out when we wanted , saved money, lived like kings.
I do remember that feeling of getting paid well for that hard work. Plenty of money in my pocket. My my, how things have changed.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I started in ‘75 in the Atlanta Hub at $4.25 an hour, which was twice the minimum wage at the time. As a driver, I think we were making about $19 an hour during the ‘97 strike. If we do walk out, Feeders and pilots will see that no volume will be going to Hubs so there won’t be anything to process.

clean hairy

I'm thinking 45 years ago, we were paid about the same per trailer. Took about an hour and the pay may have been around $6 an hour? Main difference, is we didn't have 52' trailers. I think it was mainly 40's or 45's. Another difference is, we could buy a house for $40,000 with that $6 per hour then. Not a lot of $40,000 houses in Calif anymore. So houses have gone up more than 10X since, and PT pay has gone up about double? Yeah! That sounds fair!
I need someone to confirm top pay back in 1078 ish. I could be totally wrong on these numbers. Please correct me, before people start shooting me with paint balls!!
No idea, but in 1068 maybe 60 cents a week?

twoweeled

I started in ‘75 in the Atlanta Hub at $4.25 an hour, which was twice the minimum wage at the time. As a driver, I think we were making about $19 an hour during the ‘97 strike. If we do walk out, Feeders and pilots will see that no volume will be going to Hubs so there won’t be anything to process.
That says a lot there. Now, part timers are starting near minimum wage. Not good for anyone.

twoweeled

I get the feeling from former years, we have not kept up with inflation. Our expectations have also been lowered to the point, where .75 cents on near $40 per hour is accepted as good enough. I think we were getting .75 cents raises, when we were making near $10 an hour.

twoweeled

Why are we striking

What happens if we go on strike ?

What’s the process in all of this ?

How do we get paid ?

1. We're not striking.

2. Hoffa could theoretically call a strike, but extremely slim chance.

3. The negotiations continue. Just gave Hoffa a huge hammer (if he chooses to use it).

4. There is a strike fund, but it's a token amount. Maybe $50. It's about a lot more than that. So much deeper.