Strike Authorization Approved

From your perspective, you may take in the butt, no matter what. Wouldn't you rather fight and get in a few punches of your own, rather than just be a punching bag every contract - while saying to yourself; well, I'm going to take it in the butt anyway?
Too each their own, but if I'm getting punched, I wanna get in a couple of my own. At least know, I put up a fight. Not have to hear, he just laid down and took whatever they gave him.
A very generic statement. Nothing you said here is worth striking for. You must be more specific.

BigBrown1234

I’m gonna take in the butt no matter what. I’m gathering more contacts for options if needed. Locally and in other states I’ve worked in. A few months at FedEx could be a quick bridge between whatever is next.

Thats hilarious!
Your right, there’s gonna be plenty of work at FedEx.
They probably hire anyone.
And if the strike ends bad you’ll already have another job.

twoweeled

Take your 35k.
I’ll take the 57k a year and keep the 35k for future investment.
Okay. Now you're throwing in totally different numbers. I didn't respond to anything stating $57K. LOL! I'll take twenty two Kazillion instead of the $57K. And I guess I get to keep the $35K along with now? LMAO!!

Okay. Now you're throwing in totally different numbers. I didn't respond to anything stating $57K. LOL! I'll take twenty two Kazillion instead of the $57K. And I guess I get to keep the $35K along with now? LMAO!!
I said $25 an hour. That’s 57k a year.

twoweeled

I said $25 an hour. That’s 57k a year.
You also never said in the quote I responded too, $25 an hour for 2280 hours. You're really just throwing in different stuff off the top of your head as you think of it. Pretty much impossible to address incomplete and revolving statements you're making.

This is exactly, your statement I responded too:
"Which is about 35k. So you think 35k is better than 25 an hour?"

You also never said in the quote I responded too, $25 an hour for 2280 hours. You're really just throwing in different stuff off the top of your head as you think of it. Pretty much impossible to address incomplete and revolving statements you're making.

This is exactly, your statement I responded too:
"Which is about 35k. So you think 35k is better than 25 an hour?"

You’re right, you must have thought I was talking about $25 an hour for only 1 hour. But what I was meaning was a full time job @ 25 an hour. I did miscalculate @ 2280 hrs. I meant 2080 hrs. So it’s only 52k a year.

Let me rephrase this better. Is is better to burn through 35k than to have a 25 an hour job?

twoweeled

You’re right, you must have thought I was talking about $25 an hour for only 1 hour. But what I was meaning was a full time job @ 25 an hour. I did miscalculate @ 2280 hrs. I meant 2080 hrs. So it’s only 52k a year.

Let me rephrase this better. Is is better to burn through 35k than to have a 25 an hour job?
It's so much deeper than that.

twoweeled

Let me try and explain my view point. Better to burn $35K, or work and make $52K?
That appears to assume, you would be on strike for maybe 8 months? 8X$4,300=$34,400. If you worked those 8 months, you would make those $34,000. I don't see that $52,000 applying here. I could be missing something?
I don't see a strike going 8 months. Realistically, I don't see a strike at all! It was a strike authorization vote. I doubt our majority ever sees Hoffa actually EVER calling a strike. I think this vote only showed a majority of unhappy people. The vote was needed for this. Had we "not" been able to muster numbers to authorize Hoffa to call a strike, WE WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE!! Put a fork in us, and anything we wanted. We would've confirmed undoubtedly, we didn't have the backbone or potential commitment to possibly strike.
This vote in my opinion, just kept us in the game. I do not feel UPS is the least bit spooked about Hoffa ever calling a strike. But UPS has been notified, there are more than a few employees fed up. (sorry about the tangent)
If we aren't willing to risk losing something in order to gain something in the long run, UPS will gain momentum every contract, and push us back further. More than a snowball effect, but a runaway train that is snowballing. UPS is not interested in what is fair. Fair plays no part in this. There is one pie in this game. We are interested in getting as much as we can, and UPS is doing the same. Unfortunately, UPS is a lot better organized than we are.
The point is, if we knuckle under every contract, we lose more than monetarily in the long run. We lose momentum. We lose power. We become fearful. We lose respect from the company. We command nothing! The company each contract, gains everything we lose, ie momentum, power and respect and they instill fear. Just like the pie. Whatever one side loses, the other side gains. The company "has to know" we will fight them without flinching, when we are wronged or feel cheated. UPS has to feel, if they try and screw us, there will be a price to pay.
In short (yeah, I know it ain't short), when/if you take into account things lost, and will be lost because of a display of weakness (ie small raises relative to company profits. Contractual verbiage related to keeping your job. changes in healthcare coverage. Much higher cost in retirement healthcare. The ability to limit hours worked to preserve your health for retirement) Then "yes", you could very well end up better off, losing the $35,000.
That's why I just responded with: "it's so much deeper than that". LOL! Sorry! My thoughts

Wow that was long.... Odds are I’m not coming back after a strike. It’s just highly unlikely. So why burn 35k in the process? I will have to move on to another chapter of my journey.

DOK

You know come to think of it I haven’t gotten one piece of literature in the mail regarding what’s going on in these contract negotiations, no updates, no nothing. Anyone else?

No, I have got NOTHING IN THE MAIL either.

Really ?

You have internet access, and can't get information ?

That's odd.

-Bug-

He ask about getting anything in the mail. I think his point being, how does one know if they should believe what they read on the interweb.

Nothing in the mail at all. Half the drivers in our center don’t know we’re negotiating.

twoweeled

Wow that was long.... Odds are I’m not coming back after a strike. It’s just highly unlikely. So why burn 35k in the process? I will have to move on to another chapter of my journey.
LOL! I know it was long. That's why I "was" going to avoid it.

F

Frankie's Friend

We have some old drivers. 2 didn’t know it was a contract year. I don’t think they have internet.
Or FM radios, or cell phones, or erections, or normal bowel movements, or younger whippersnapper drivers with no or little seniority telling them their hearing aids need new batteries.

Or maybe they dont care because they're getting out and little bothers them anymore.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Or FM radios, or cell phones, or erections, or normal bowel movements, or younger whippersnapper drivers with no or little seniority telling them their hearing aids need new batteries.

Or maybe they dont care because they're getting out and little bothers them anymore.
I'm gonna go with B.