Strike authorization vote for 705

U(s)PS Guy

Okay so this question has been asked many time in this thread already without a real answer...so I'm going to ask it again :)

I realize that 710 has always been seperate from the NMA, but someone said something to the effect of "the contract offered to us this time around is worse than the current NMA." If this is true why would 710 not buck the trend, and finally come under the NMA to truly be apart of the "union"?

W

westsideworma

I don`t know if having your company bought by UPS counts as working. Bring a water bottle,it gets a tad humid here in August. You`ll be sweating it,one way or another.

I have to agree here, I don't like our choice of current ceo. He knows one thing, cost cutting. I just don't trust someone who's never run with the "little people" to know whats best for this company. If all he's looking at is what he's seeing on his numerous reports, pie charts etc, we're in trouble. This is a company of numbers, but numbers don't always translate into good service.

W

westsideworma

How can big brown deliver with nobody to run CACH or deliver to Chicago? Oh thats right supes can do it, lol.

the supes can run CACH? I've never been but I know that building is a monster...No way a particular shift's supervisors can run it...well and make the numbers haha.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Okay so this question has been asked many time in this thread already without a real answer...so I'm going to ask it again :)

I realize that 710 has always been seperate from the NMA, but someone said something to the effect of "the contract offered to us this time around is worse than the current NMA." If this is true why would 710 not buck the trend, and finally come under the NMA to truly be apart of the "union"?

I cant answer your question about 710 joining the national as im from 705. However i can promise you that neither 710 or 705 will except anything less than the national.

705 is so large of a local we would probably be a burden to the national for grievance procedures as in panels. We average over 100 cases a month at our own local panel. We have 11 ftime ups agents and 3 asst. agents to assist in representing the members. If we would combine under the national now our grievants would have to travel to different states in order to get their cases heard. As of now they only have to come down town chicago.

I do know 710 is another very large local and in the chicago area has all of the outlying centers that are over 75 miles away from downtown. They also have all of the over the road drivers that are stationed in all of 705 buildings. Our feeders in 705 do not do over the road runs they are strictly local drivers.

Just because you negotiate seperate does not mean you are not part of the "union". Not everyone in the usa thats under the national contract has the same language, it differs from region to region as in 804 another bigger ups local.

Csi here in 705 negotiates seperate from the national and just received a very good contract that im told from my friends that work there. With a nice back pay settlement for working 4 years without a contract.

W

westsideworma

Umm wheres the answer to my question?
Domestic volume is down, you cant debate that and the fact that your volume is up; just says people are moving to cities because thats where the jobs are at.
Go ahead and strike I dont care, I wouldnt toot the 705s horn that much; UPS can live on without it.
And one shouldnt question ones testicular fortitude when one doesnt have a brick to stand on...One shouldnt accuse UPS of being arrogant when you havent resolved your own arrogance.

Plain and simple UPS would not run well without CACH. They process about 10% or more of our total ground volume (if I remember correctly). They have other hubs that serve as major distribution areas out that way, such as Addison and Palatine however I doubt they could take on the volume from CACH and process it well. Could we survive? yes I'm sure we could somehow, would it be pretty? absolutely not and would likely result in subpar service.

I don't know what local Addison and Palatine are involved with but I know they were big name hubs especially when we had pampered chef (don't know if we gained them back or not, I've not seen anything from them). As their distribution center was in carol stream and corporate headquarters is in Addison itself. Another former big volume account (again don't know if we still have them) PartyLite also has distribution centers for order fulfillment in Carol Stream as well. Chicago area is big to UPS in other words. We need them in order to make good on our promises for speedy service.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Plain and simple UPS would not run well without CACH. They process about 10% or more of our total ground volume (if I remember correctly). They have other hubs that serve as major distribution areas out that way, such as Addison and Palatine however I doubt they could take on the volume from CACH and process it well. Could we survive? yes I'm sure we could somehow, would it be pretty? absolutely not and would likely result in subpar service.

I don't know what local Addison and Palatine are involved with but I know they were big name hubs especially when we had pampered chef (don't know if we gained them back or not, I've not seen anything from them). As their distribution center was in carol stream and corporate headquarters is in Addison itself. Another former big volume account (again don't know if we still have them) PartyLite also has distribution centers for order fulfillment in Carol Stream as well. Chicago area is big to UPS in other words. We need them in order to make good on our promises for speedy service.
705 covers alot of territory, cach, addison, palatine, jeff st, dobson, harvey, westmont, northbrook, and waukegan (im hoping i didnt leave any out). Our railyards our union and would also put up pickets if need be, while 710 covers 5 states of ups.

It would be felt by everyone if something happened here. yet ups right now is gearing up with management ordering browns, and bringing in all these new hires to scab. Whats funny is that these new hires will be the first to go when we come back to work. I explained this to a group last night but they were told they would be kept after it was over by hr. Whats the chance of ups hiring enough new ptimers? For evrey 10 that start your lucky to have 1 left in a month, im willing to risk my career on those odds.

New Englander

Can they pull in drivers from other locals?

Not saying it's right or wrong but I'm sure there are drivers who are against what you guys are doing and if you don't have to honor our master contract do we have to honor your strike?

Again...I'm in no way shape or form advocating that just curious of the answer.

Not saying it's right or wrong but I'm sure there are drivers who are against what you guys are doing and if you don't have to honor our master contract do we have to honor your strike?

First off you need to realize we are not failing to "honor" your contract. We are negotiating our own contract and trying to improve on what was seen in yours. If we had been the first to settle our contract ,with the "national" country watching to see what happened, you would do the same in negotiating yours.

As Teamsters you would honor our picket lines as we in turn would honor yours. On a personal level you could do what you want but I myself don`t cross any union picket lines much less even thinking of crossing a Teamster one.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Did we honor your strike in 97? If 705 and 710 walk were will these drivers come from? Your talking about 5 states walking, for well over 20,000 teamsters, plus drivers that have already pmed me and will put up pickets at their buildings across the country if anything from our area arrives in their buildings.

I guess we will see in 13 days how it all plays out. By august 1st there wont be alot of volume left here in chicago after the strike vote announcement sunday night. Customers will start diverting.

New Englander

Did we honor your strike in 97? If 705 and 710 walk were will these drivers come from? Your talking about 5 states walking, for well over 20,000 teamsters, plus drivers that have already pmed me and will put up pickets at their buildings across the country if anything from our area arrives in their buildings.

I guess we will see in 13 days how it all plays out. By august 1st there wont be alot of volume left here in chicago after the strike vote announcement sunday night. Customers will start diverting.

Guys....I'm not saying I am or would. I am just curious if something like that is even legal.

It's an honest to goodness question as your post about management ordering browns got me thinking if it's something that could be pushed.

tieguy

Banned
I have to agree here, I don't like our choice of current ceo. He knows one thing, cost cutting. I just don't trust someone who's never run with the "little people" to know whats best for this company. If all he's looking at is what he's seeing on his numerous reports, pie charts etc, we're in trouble. This is a company of numbers, but numbers don't always translate into good service.

you have to look at it realistically. The economy is taking a beating. cost of oil is about 80 bucks a barrel more then the same time last year. The responsible thing for businesses to do during these times is to tighten our belts. The good as always has been that we are not laying of 10 of thousands of people as other companies will do. With that in mind you have to appreciate what the CEO is trying to do.

New Englander

First off you need to realize we are not failing to "honor" your contract. We are negotiating our own contract and trying to improve on what was seen in yours. If we had been the first to settle our contract ,with the "national" country watching to see what happened, you would do the same in negotiating yours.

As Teamsters you would honor our picket lines as we in turn would honor yours. On a personal level you could do what you want but I myself don`t cross any union picket lines much less even thinking of crossing a Teamster one.

As I said....it is not about if I would or not. I'm just curious if it's possible for something like that to happen.

Regardless of how you look at it...and I did vote no on this contract. The simple fact that the majority voted it in. Except you guys. So NO you do not honor what the majority voted in. I'm not upset with that...but it is what it is.

As I said - is it something that The Teamsters would even allow? I know if you guys strike, we are not authorized to. So can we be told to work in your local?

New Englander

Guys....I'm not saying I am or would. I am just curious if something like that is even legal.

It's an honest to goodness question as your post about management ordering browns got me thinking if it's something that could be pushed.

As to honoring our strike....you really had no choice. It's not like 705 could have kept UPS's wheels in motion. At some point you would have run out of packages.

The simple fact that the majority voted it in. Except you guys. So NO you do not honor what the majority voted in. As I said - is it something that The Teamsters would even allow? I know if you guys strike, we are not authorized to. So can we be told to work in your local?

N.E. ,whether we wanted to or not we could NOT vote on your contract. That is not a sign of not honoring yours or disloyalty to you or your local.
How did you vote on my last contract?

No,you would not be forced to work in our local. While I don`t have your new contract to look at I`m sure there is still a paragraph about not being forced to cross any picket line.

New Englander

N.E. ,whether we wanted to or not we could NOT vote on your contract. That is not a sign of not honoring yours or disloyalty to you or your local.
How did you vote on my last contract?

No,you would not be forced to work in our local. While I don`t have your new contract to look at I`m sure there is still a paragraph about not being forced to cross any picket line.

Perhaps you can't currently vote on our contract. Though you guys can vote to change that I'm sure.
I just would rather see everyone under one master and then let the local sup. run as they do.

I will obviously honor your choices but.....could drivers cross your line from other locals and operate in your area if you strike with no recourse from the Union?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As I said....it is not about if I would or not. I'm just curious if it's possible for something like that to happen.

Regardless of how you look at it...and I did vote no on this contract. The simple fact that the majority voted it in. Except you guys. So NO you do not honor what the majority voted in. I'm not upset with that...but it is what it is.

As I said - is it something that The Teamsters would even allow? I know if you guys strike, we are not authorized to. So can we be told to work in your local?

Absolutely not New Englander. You know that don't you? You usually come off as a pretty savy union guy. No teamster ever crosses any kind of picket line, especially another teamsters picket line.Never.

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Perhaps you can't currently vote on our contract. Though you guys can vote to change that I'm sure.
I just would rather see everyone under one master and then let the local sup. run as they do.

I will obviously honor your choices but.....could drivers cross your line from other locals and operate in your area if you strike with no recourse from the Union?
If they come here into chicago with the intent of crossing our picket line, i will go into my trunk with the intent to get out my baseball bat!

You never cross any strike line any!, we had people fined here in chicago in 97 and are no longer part of the union for doing so!

Which i had no problem reminding everyone about this week.

New Englander

Absolutely not New Englander. You know that don't you? You usually come off as a pretty savy union guy. No teamster ever crosses any kind of picket line, especially another teamsters picket line.Never.

I knew that I would not. There are some who might. I was curious if there is recourse if they do.