Strike in August, what say you?

twoweeled

Do you mean as in hired off the street? I was hired off the street last year coming from a completely different line of work. It's not about ability to do the job. It's about grit. It's not a hard job to learn. It just takes a lot of physical and mental fortitude and a willingness to put in the hours and the headaches. Many people today are soft and that's what makes it a hard job. Now when it comes to hiring scab drivers? Good luck with keeping them when they see a blown out truck with irregs and 240 stops and no climate control. Half of our new hire drivers quit within the first couple weeks.
Yep! It does take all of what you mention to be a package car driver. And they will "eventually" get the hang of the job. In the meantime, there will be a large disruption in delivery. They can't just pull people off the street and get even close to continuing normally. Even if UPS was willing to hire twice as many drivers - I don't believe most buildings could handle twice as many staff. Missed pick ups, galore! Definite disruption. It's just a matter of, for how long. How long will customers put up with it? Amazon won't put up with it at all, is my guess.