Strike in Chicago?

W

westsideworma

just a question. If 705/710 strike...what about the other teamsters under the national agreement?

nhguy

705 RED,

I found it interesting watching the little propaganda video. You people need to come back to the real world. UPS part time people are compensated far beyond their hourly wage. Where I come from, it costs UPS about $30,000 a year to add a new part time employee. Why would UPS be looking to add full time jobs when the daily volume is down approximately 15% over last year. In addition, if you'd turn your tv on once in awhile, you'd see that gas, oil, jet fuel, heating oil and health care continue to double and even triple since last year. Add in the 6.1 billion for the CS mess and I don't see your argument to add new full time jobs. It's the same old rhetoric as the strike year.

I'm going out back to see if the money tree can come up with a better blosom, because the last time I checked the tree was drying up quickly.

This crap really gets old after awhile!

REMEMBER THE BIG FISH ALWAYS EATS THE LITTLE ONES!

upsgrunt

Agreed! I get so tired of it on both sides. What have they had, 5 years to work on this, and it always comes down to a pissing contest. Both sides; sit down and settle this thing and don't come out until you do. If we did our jobs like you negotiate, we'd be in a world of hurt.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Answer me this chicago...

Would you like to be the destruction of UPS? Because if you walk, that's it. The rest of the country will follow and within two weeks--how long the '97 strike lasted--most of you won't HAVE a job to come back to! I used to work for UPS and ship UPS when I need to ship stuff. THAT's over if you guys take a walk. You've lost the confidence of the American people if you walk during the current economic picture. JMHO.....-Rocky

drewed

Shankman
Would you like to be the destruction of UPS? Because if you walk, that's it. The rest of the country will follow and within two weeks--how long the '97 strike lasted--most of you won't HAVE a job to come back to! I used to work for UPS and ship UPS when I need to ship stuff. THAT's over if you guys take a walk. You've lost the confidence of the American people if you walk during the current economic picture. JMHO.....-Rocky

The rest of the country wont walk, you MAY get some isolated locals walking but by and large there wont be a massive strike

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The rest of the country wont walk, you MAY get some isolated locals walking but by and large there wont be a massive strike

But, but.....what about UNITY and solidarity????

And don't forget....X% of rail / freight traffic (I forget the number...sorry) transits Chicago's railyards, highways and truck yards. St. Louis is probably the nearest city with a rail yard / transit hub. I've been told by rail / freight personnel it couldn't handle the volume. No.....Chicago goes on strike and the UPS system will go into meltdown in less than 12 hours. JMHO.... -Rocky

ups79

But, but.....what about UNITY and solidarity????

And don't forget....X% of rail / freight traffic (I forget the number...sorry) transits Chicago's railyards, highways and truck yards. St. Louis is probably the nearest city with a rail yard / transit hub. I've been told by rail / freight personnel it couldn't handle the volume. No.....Chicago goes on strike and the UPS system will go into meltdown in less than 12 hours. JMHO.... -Rocky

I thought you were gone?

reydluap

I have kept up with this thread. Respecting both sides opinions. BUT! I'm a realist. With the economy going sour. Is it really wise to go on strike? Win or Loose.

Look around you. Years past, Auto workers demanded their special perks. Look at what's happening to them now. Just about every time I pick up a newspaper, I read about another couple of thousand jobs being lost. Oh yeah....they fought for more money until they squeezed the life out of the companies. And not only the automakers, but their suppliers are collapsing.

Local 705 and 710........You might win your fight.......but don't be surprised if you loose the war.

Time will tell........

satellitedriver

Nope. Truth be told, this board is my daily chuckle. :happy-very: -Rocky
It does have it's humor.
The video is the best.
It leads off with a 20yrs vet complaining about the lack of money spent by the company, yet that vet never took advantage of the dental insurance.
Great front man, not.
Petty, yes, but very telling.

F

free thinker

The "Victory" at Eastern Airlines
EasternUnemploymentVictory.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/20131026045300/http://airlinesafety.com/unions/UnionVictoryAtEastern.htm
January 18, 1991. A date which will live in Union Infamy. That is the day that Eastern Airlines expired, with it's last gasps of tortured breath. That is also the day that the Eastern Employee Unions declared "Victory." That is the day that they celebrate, the day they "won the war" against Frank Lorenzo.

Ernie Mailhot was a ramp worker and cleaner at Eastern Airlines and a "strike staff coordinator for International Association of Machinists Local Lodge 1018 from December 1989 to December 1990." He declared the demise of Eastern Airlines to be a "victory" for all union workers everywhere.

And that is the thinking of the Kamikaze Union leaders. That is why they deliberately drop bombs on their own ships----

govols019

You smell that?

Seems I heard that same thing in '97.

paidslave

I don't know if you're dense or just ignorant but do the math. We had about 20 percent of a normal driver group sent out which means everyone who went out had an area of at least 5 normal driver routes. You also need to go back and do some research it was longer then one week. You should do your homework before you come in here and run your mouth.

Yes TIEGUY, you are a math major. I bet you were still doing 25 stops an hour like expected of hourlys when you break routes out.......

I DID MY HOMEWORK:

..........You just said, your exact quote, "Everyone who went out had an an area of at least 5 normal driver routes"!

So the bet remains you get at least 5 normal driver routes per day!

HOT DOGS AND BEANS ANY DAY you RUN 5 ROUTES...

I am not that desperate!

RUN your arse off pal doing 5 routes for weeks, I DON"T CARE!

And for the lame excuse for gas prises, my route I burn 6 gallons of gas. WHIPPIE it cost UPS an extra $12. UPS raised the rates 5 percent this year and I guarantee that on a minimum day I have on my truck 5k to 10k of paid frieght. Multiply that times .05 and that is $500 a day extra just on my route. In the greater sceme of things $12 for fuel is a very lame excuse!

Lastly, you seem like a computer geek anyway to even pick up a package! Sorry to say........:funny:

tieguy

Banned

Juan did not look comfortable regurgitating his prose. Looks away a lot as he speaks his lines. You would think someone who has been privy to the negotiations and actually believes what he is saying would speak with a little more passion. After all its an opportunity to sell the reasons that this unions leadership thinks this action is warranted.

communication is a two way street. Yet each time we go through this tiring process we are led to believe the company is resitant to negotiating despite the unions best efforts to settle the contract.

How many times will I have to hear this same tired line of rhetoric before some honest broker on the union side admits that they have also been playing games.

I have kept up with this thread. Respecting both sides opinions. BUT! I'm a realist. With the economy going sour. Is it really wise to go on strike? Win or Loose.

Look around you. Years past, Auto workers demanded their special perks. Look at what's happening to them now. Just about every time I pick up a newspaper, I read about another couple of thousand jobs being lost. Oh yeah....they fought for more money until they squeezed the life out of the companies. And not only the automakers, but their suppliers are collapsing.

Local 705 and 710........You might win your fight.......but don't be surprised if you loose the war.

Time will tell........
What's happening to the auto industry today has very little to do with the union workers, only in retrospect. What is killing GM (and others) is the outrageous price of fuel. People are scared of the overwhelming price of a gallon of gas and have stopped buying unless it's really needed and they have switched to smaller, less expensive vehicles. The big crunches in layoffs are in pickups and SUVs. Why would GM continue to manufacture trucks when they can't sell them. Granted the wages and perks received by those employees is a profit/loss factor but the fact is even if the workers took a 50% decrease in pay, GM would still be shutting down the factories.

tieguy

Banned
What's happening to the auto industry today has very little to do with the union workers, only in retrospect. What is killing GM (and others) is the outrageous price of fuel. People are scared of the overwhelming price of a gallon of gas and have stopped buying unless it's really needed and they have switched to smaller, less expensive vehicles. The big crunches in layoffs are in pickups and SUVs. Why would GM continue to manufacture trucks when they can't sell them. Granted the wages and perks received by those employees is a profit/loss factor but the fact is even if the workers took a 50% decrease in pay, GM would still be shutting down the factories.

I don't know I'd buy an suv at half price. Your texans will keep buying their pickup trucks which are no better on gas mileage.

I don't know where you got the idea of the half priced SUV, wages are only part of the formula. And yes I will always own a pickup, it's hard to haul a load of anything in an SUV, well.....unless it's a load of Tieguy hot air...LOL